F-14B Tomcat - 1:32 Trumpeter

First Name
Mike
That looks like one of those '2 hours masking, 5 minutes spraying' sessions Great job so far.

C

Caledonia

Thanks Mike/Joe,

Gave the kit and missiles two coats of gloss. The walkway on top of the Intakes have to be painted on, so I used Lifecolor 'Roof Dirt' UA722, it's not as grey as it came out in the photo. I read somewhere that the walkway is anti-skid paint, so for my last coat I deliberately pulled the airbrush away so the paint was virtually dry when it hit the model, this gave a very fine sandpaper texture.

View attachment 78897

View attachment 78898

Painted the exhausts, ready for fitting. But going to do the decaling first. Letting the gloss varnish dry overnight.

View attachment 78899

View attachment 78900

Cheers Derek

B91.jpg

B92.jpg

B93.jpg

B94.jpg

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Really coming on now Derek , although I'm not sure about the natural metal effect!LOL!! Seriously though , i love the look of the Tomcat when its coming in to land with everything hanging down , this is going to look amazing , cheers tony

C

Caledonia

Thanks for your support Tony.

Got all the decals on, so still to paint the edges of the wheel bay doors red, and fit them and the wing control surfaces. But before all that I have to attempt the weathering. As far as I have found out the 'Red Rippers' were fairly clean so I am trying to achieve this finish.

View attachment 79339

Here are the decal shots. Again Trumpeter disappoints; instructions leave you guessing in some places, the 'slime lights' decals at the wing tips didn't fit, had to mix paints and paint them. The development of the decal shape around the nose of the missiles was way out, had to tease them into shape.

Cheers Derek

View attachment 79336

View attachment 79338

View attachment 79337

View attachment 79340

B95.jpg

B96.jpg

B97.jpg

f14-photo-vf011-44xl.jpg

f14-photo-vf011-43xl.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking sharp Derek , shame about the decals putting up a fight but youve tamed them perfectly. The weathering Ive seen on pics of Tomcats is usually concentrated around the wing pivots and centre fuselage as can be seen in the photo, so a little here would be fine even for a well kept machine. Keep at it mate its going to be one fine looking cat , cheers tony

C

Caledonia

\ said:
Looking sharp Derek , shame about the decals putting up a fight but youve tamed them perfectly. The weathering Ive seen on pics of Tomcats is usually concentrated around the wing pivots and centre fuselage as can be seen in the photo, so a little here would be fine even for a well kept machine. Keep at it mate its going to be one fine looking cat , cheers tony
Thanks Tony, that's exactly the look I am trying to achieve. Ian, I appreciate your comments also. Cheers Derek

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
That is looking superb Derek. I don;t ever recall seeing this scheme before, but your F-14 is looking more like your reference photos every time you update.

C

Caledonia

Thanks Joe, I didn't fancy looking at a skull and cross bones so the kit came with the scheme I adopted.

Have been putting off painting the red edges of the undercarriage doors, as I know I would make a mess of it. Fortunately I bought the February issue of the 'Fine Scale Modeler ' magazine, which had an excellent solution to my problem. You 'paint' on the edges with red felt tipped pens. They showed only a thick point being used which I think is impossible to get into the internal corners with, but using the same principle I used a 0.3mm fineliner to get into these corners and the thicker nib to fill in and do the outer faces. All available from W H Smith. Cheers Derek

View attachment 79381

View attachment 79382

View attachment 79383

View attachment 79384

View attachment 79385

B98.jpg

B99.jpg

B100.jpg

B101.jpg

B102.jpg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looking great Derek. I've never seen such colourful weapons. Very nice.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
That's a beautiful finish to the Tomcat Derek

Look forward to seeing this finished.

Cheers

Paul

C

Caledonia

Thanks for the words of encouragement Gents.

Masked off the area for the scuff marks from the Wing Gloves and using the Black Fineliner pens mentioned previously, and smeared it with a cotton bud. After this I sprayed the entire aircraft and loose parts with a flat varnish.

View attachment 79433

Looking at lots of photos, the F-14B I am building displays a predominantly brown weathering, see photos below.

View attachment 79436

View attachment 79437

To replicate this I have used Florymodels Dark Dirt weathering wash which leaves a brown finish, but I have added some of their black between the wing roots down to the tail as this is a dirtier area.

View attachment 79434

View attachment 79435

They say to let it dry for 20 minutes, but I always get a better result, by leaving it for several hours, or overnight, maybe it's just me?

Cheers Derek

B103.jpg

B104.jpg

B105.jpg

f-14b_163227_04_of_27.jpg

f-14b_vf-11_204_names.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
OOH ! Mucky! Should be nicely weathered when the wash is removed Derek , top stuff , cheers tony

D

dubster72

I've never used the Flory stuff so this is an interesting example of seeing how it works!

I'm watching this one Derek for tips to use on my Tomcat.

Cheers

Patrick

C

Caledonia

Thanks for your kind comments Gents.

Here are a few photos with the Wash removed. The lighting has tended to bleach out the brown colour and the depth of colour. But it is brown, and the depth of colour it slightly stronger than the photos suggest.

View attachment 79478

View attachment 79479

View attachment 79480

View attachment 79481

View attachment 79482

Cheers Derek

P.S. Patrick, if you do go this route you will find a brush such as the Winsor and Newton Short Flat Fine Hog 8mm wide very handy for both applying and removing the wash.

B106.jpg

B107.jpg

B108.jpg

B109.jpg

B110.jpg

D

dubster72

That's come out very nice Derek, I can see myself investing in some Flory stuff & a W&N brush!

Thanks

Patrick

M

mobear

thats topping mate,will take your idea for leaving wash on for a few hours lol (i seem to wipe mine off and make it cleaner than when i put it on)lol