F4U-1 'Birdcage' Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
About the kit:
With every new release in their 1/32 WW2 warbird range Tamiya set a new standard of excellence. The range started with their superb Zero, then the Spitfire and the Mustang - then came this, the Corsair.

Every kit has its issues, that is the mantra and yes its true, but what are the issues with the Tammy Corsair? Well, the decals are still Tammy decals. I assume they are no better than usual, I am not sure because I now always buy aftermarket decals for these and only used the small 'detail' decals, with no issues with this kit. The canopy masks are not pre-cut, but then you dont get any at all with most kits and pre-cut are available from the aftermarket anyway. The p.e. seatbelts are not great but aftermarket is available, I used Eduard 'steel' belts. The tyres are still rubber, but they are not as bad as some others. But what about the plastic? There are no fit issues at all, the engineering is superb. But, I suppose they should really have molded the aerlial on top of the fin as a seperate piece as it is vulnerable (yes, mine did break...).... Thats right, I really am having to be THAT picky to find something wrong....

I also have the F4U-1a in the stash to build as a FAA Corsair 2 later this year. Clipping the wings should be dead easy, just glue the rounded tips in place and let them set, razor saw off the appropriate amount (which is nearly all of the rounded wing tip), glue some clear sprue into place for the light and sand it all off to a smooth finish and all done....

Seriously, if you only ever build one aircraft model or only have space for one 1/32 kit - then this has to be THE one to build.

The big question is whether Tamiya have been able to raise the bar even higher than this. I will find out when I build their 1/32 Mossie....... It is difficult to see how, apart from the tyres...

Now the subject - the F4U Corsair.
It was developed as a navy carrier fighter but was soon passed over by the USN due to difficulties landing on carrier decks with its long fat nose... The navy's loss was the US Marine Corps gain, who inherited these superb fighters..... And, of course the Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm who adopted these aircraft and, what is more, worked out how to operate them safely off a carrier developing a curved approach to landing..... the old British way of making do and making it work coming to the fore.... The RN had to clip the wing tips to fit them into their smaller carriers with some performance gain in some respects. Later versions of the Corsair improved their landing characteristics by raising the seating position of the pilot and raising the rear wheel. All in all the Corsair was an outstanding fighter and did outstanding service.

My subject is Ramblin Wreck, which was a tired, well used, Corsair based on Espiritu Santo in May 1944. It was painted in a field modified three colour scheme. It is not sure whether the underside was just left grey or was painted white, I chose to depict it as grey. After the Corsair 'Marines Dream' crashed its artwork on an engine panel was saved and fitted to Ramblin Wreck and it is depicted in my model. You can see why they wanted to rescue that piece of artwork!!!

For aesthetic reasons I am depicting the aircraft with flaps up, most photos show them flaps down of course but I did find some pics of these parked flaps up. I just find that with the cranked wing design they just look so ungainly flaps down...

I had lots of scope for weathering and did a bit more than usual but even so I think I could have done more, but again sometimes less is more.

Aftermarket and materials: Barracuda decals, Eduard steel seatbelts, Eduard paint masks. Vallejo Model Air and AK Interactive paints. AK Interactive pigments and washes, MIG Oilbrushers, Uschi Metal Powders.

Enjoy the pics... a few more than usual....
IMG_1815.JPG
IMG_1822.JPG
IMG_1850.JPG
IMG_1851.JPG
IMG_1854.JPG
IMG_1855.JPG
IMG_1861.JPG
IMG_1864.JPG
IMG_1865.JPG
IMG_1868.JPG
IMG_1876.JPG
IMG_1852.JPG
IMG_1857.JPG
IMG_1859.JPG
IMG_1838.JPG
IMG_1870.JPG
IMG_1871.JPG
IMG_1872.JPG
IMG_1873.JPG
IMG_1874.JPG

Last edited:

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Love the Corsair!!:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Quite a big build @ 1/32 and two thums up for the weathering and finish!!:cool:

P

Polux

The general paintwork and weathering is excellent; especially on the lower side. The landing gear looks spot on.
Great model Barry, you must be more than proud with the result ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Fantastic work Barry it looks stunning. I really like the just back from ops weathering. Another stunner to go with the rest. What's next ?

P

phikoleoputra

Stunning build Barry, i read many reviews and many agreed that this is one of the best kit ever produced.

B

Builder

Another work of art Barry. I have never built or owned a 1/32 kit so will remember your comments about this kit being the best when I decide to buy one.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
An impressive hunk of plastic that!
You have turned it into a Master piece Barry. Love the beaten up look of the Pacific area's aircraft. The smoke/oil/exhaust effects on the undersides are particularly well done.
If I can point one thing out though. You might want to have a look at the front canopy, it looks like it has popped off on the one side. Be a pity to lose it!
I will look forwards to the FAA bird when you get going on that!

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I spotted that after taking the pics, it did not show up except on the blown up photo, but I have glued it back into place now thanks Ian.

First Name
colin
Excellent work Barry
The weathering really brings the model alive

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Fantastic build Barry love the weathering done to perfection. No build thread?

Last edited:
First Name
Alex
Very nice build, i'm currently doing the 1:72 version.
20170121_204952_ky44e6.jpg

Attachments

• 20170121_204952.jpg
    20170121_204952.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
D

Doug Hughes

That's a beauty, Barry. Rubber tyres notwithstanding, the undercarriage in particular looks fabulous.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Great build Barry. Paintwork and weathering couldn't be better.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

excellent work mate. The weathering is spot on and I do like the pit

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Ooh she looks massive at 1/32. Great job all round.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Fantastic build Barry love the weathering done to perfection. No build thread?
No, not this time Vaughan. I have the F4U-1a in the stash which I will build as a FAA Corsair later this year with clipped wings and I will do that as a build thread. I thought it would be more interesting than a more or less OOB Corsair build as there are plenty of them on the web.

Other build threads I am planning from my stash are the Tammy Mossie and the ZM P51 as I get to them.

Thanks for your comments everyone...

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great job Barry , the corsair is such a fantastic looking aircraft , and this Tamiya version looks a super kit (I built the old Revell 1/32 ages ago and really enjoyed it but compared to this its prehistoric!!)cheers tony