Ferrocious Frankie Build

S

Scuff

Tamiya P51-D Mustang

1:48 scale

Eduard Photo Etch for cockpit details.

Macro shots taken in the studio with a Canon EOS M3 mirrorless compact camera to which a Canon TS-E 90mm lens and 20mm extension tube was attached via an adapter. Lit with three Canon 600ex-rt flash guns mounted inside a large softbox 600. exposure was 1/60th sec. @ f16 iso 100.

The cockpit area is just over 2cm in length.

My wife has always loved the P51, and Ferrocious Frankie in particular. So to keep in her good books, this one is for her.

Scratches on the seat where the pilot clambers in and out were carefully markes with a sharp silver pencil. The wood effect flooring was grained and weathers with tamiya weathering sets. Flory models wash was applied to give relief. Photo etch was glued with medium superglue and some with gator glue.

Here is one of my photos of the real Ferrocious Frankie, on which my model will be based.

View attachment 115729

And on the the images of the cockpit assembly.

View attachment 115730

View attachment 115731

View attachment 115732

View attachment 115733

View attachment 115734

View attachment 115735

View attachment 115736

FFDive.jpg

FFP51-1.jpg

FFP51-2.jpg

FFP51-3.jpg

FFP51-4.jpg

FFP51-5.jpg

FFP51-6.jpg

FFP51-7.jpg

L

Laurie

That is really great stuff Graham. Thanks for sharing your stuff.

Your meticulous dedication to detail is fascinating.

Look forward to the next section.

Laurie

P

Polux

Excellent work on the cockpit Graham.

I personally like the seat, it has a very nice colour and a credible subtle weathering.

Cheers

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Superbly done Graham,,,,,,, Both the cockpit detail and the photographs.

L

Laurie

Graham where did you get those seatbelts they are superb ?

Laurie

S

Scuff

\ said:
Graham where did you get those seatbelts they are superb ?
Laurie
Hi Laurie

The seat belts are part of the Eduard photo etch cockpit set.

L

Laurie

\ said:
Hi Laurie
The seat belts are part of the Eduard photo etch cockpit set.
At 1/48 Graham they are the best I have seen.

Laurie

S

Scuff

I received a spray booth for my birthday, and this was the first time I used it. The difference was notable. Apart from the obvious benefits to the air quality in the man cave and my lungs, the finish on the models was much improved without the oversparay floating around everywhere.

The filling the small imperfections and seams with Perfect Plastic putty and Vallejo Plastic Putty was completed and let to cure overnight.The seams were then sanded down and polished to leave a perfectly scratch free finish. The Vallejo putty was used along the wing root joins and levelled down using Isopropanol on cotton buds. This left a pefectly filled join with no areas to sand and smooth.

I then cleaned the thoroughly to remove any dust from the sanding, using airbrush cleaner on cotton buds for those awkward little places and wiped over with an airbrush cleaner moistened flock free paper towel.

Once dried, it was then placed on flock free paper in the spray booth and given a smooth coat of Vallejo 74601 grey surface primer, airbrushed with a 0.5 needle on the airbrush at 28psi. The spray booth worked a treat, keeping stray dust and overspray off of the model.

View attachment 116983

View attachment 116984

View attachment 116981

View attachment 116982

FFP51-8.jpg

FFP51-9.jpg

FFP51-8.jpg

FFP51-9.jpg

S

Scuff

\ said:
Has this model been finished
Hi Roger

I'm still at it!

It has been painted once, but I wasn't entirely happy with it, so it was stripped down and I'm about 3/4 of the way through again. The main upper colours were airbrushed first, then the invasion stripes and the yellow nose. The aluminium has been done and sealed. I am looking forward to finishing it off, as I think it is coming together well. A new job is currently taking up all of my time, but it should ease up in the new year.

D

demon

\ said:
Hi Roger
I'm still at it!

It has been painted once, but I wasn't entirely happy with it, so it was stripped down and I'm about 3/4 of the way through again. The main upper colours were airbrushed first, then the invasion stripes and the yellow nose. The aluminium has been done and sealed. I am looking forward to finishing it off, as I think it is coming together well. A new job is currently taking up all of my time, but it should ease up in the new year.
I hate it when work gets in the way