First build's in about 20 years

P

Paul Daniell

Afternoon all

Just thought I would post a couple of pictures of my first build airfix spitfire the Haynes manual kit. It is all hand painted as I have never mastered the use of an airbrush. The Ariel is missing as it flew off and vanished when cut from the spur and the there is a massive panel gap on one wing but not to bad me thinks.

Also in the picture there is mine and my lads attempt all a Airfix Curtiss Kittyhawk he did most of the painting and I did most of the building.

both are in 1.72 scale.

any feedback will be muchly appreciated

Cheers PaulView attachment 75920

View attachment 75921

81DCE9C0-2E79-4555-BFF8-71F709A45BAB_zpsc72gepnq.jpg

D0916144-FEDD-46BF-810A-16FD5C09C3D1_zpswdbfmptd.jpg

A

AlasdairGF

Looks like you had some fun with these! How old is the lad? He's done a sterling job.

A

AlasdairGF

Oh - and for feedback: not s(a) ure if you've gone and bought the sorts of odds & sods that you'd never even heard of as a kid doing models Way Back When - things like model filler, gloss & matt or satin varnishes, decal solutions, primer for the paint etc...? I found that some of the these made a huge difference - did my first model about 11 months ago, and you very quickly pick up some tips & tricks looking at other folks' build threads. I'm getting better slowly, and loving every minute (when I find the time!).

On the painting: I've also been using a regular brush (the "hairy stick" as some say!), and find that I get much better results if I (a) use a spray primer first (mask off the canopy & any open bits, I use a can of Humbrol grey primer from the local model shop), and then (b) paint a couple - or even three - coats of paint thinned a fair deal. I use acrylics, and my first coat or two will be 50:50 paint to tap water. Seems to make a huge difference. Some good masking tape - the thin Tamiya stuff can be found in all sorts of places, e.g. Hobbycraft etc - will really make the difference with straight edges too. Lightest colour down first, so covering with darker colour is easier.

Then a coat (or four!) of gloss varnish before the decals go on, so you don't get that 'silvering' effect where tiny air bubbles get trapped in the dry surface of the paint. If you don't want a gloss finish, a matt or satin varnish (I have a spray matt) on top of that. Airbrushing does get that professional finish - but you can still do some really good things with a brush.

Hope you enjoy the next ones even more :smiling:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Welcome back to the hobby... you have come to the right place here.

Nice initial efforts and also great to get youngsters involved. I love that desert camo scheme for 112 Squadron but I think you will find it might have had a red spinner for the Desert Airforce....simple enough to correct.

There are lots of great new kits, far better than what was available 20 years ago plus great new materials plus this internet as a fantastic resource to help improve what you do. Even Airfix are getting their act together with their new tool models.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Your sons done a great job of the kitty hawk and your spit is very nicely painted after being out of the hobby for a while you should see some of the pigs I built after a long lay off but I leave them as they are to see how I've progressed over the last two years

I too us the hairy stick :smiling3:

P

Paul Daniell

thanks guys.

My lad has just had his 7th birthday. He loves his planes could tell the difference between a spit and a hurricane by the age of 4!!!

have managed to pick up some bits and bobs files, 3rd hand, knifes and some other tools but it is hard to get anything in Leicester as the model zone has closed and domino's the big toy and craft store in Leicester has close too so no model shop in Leicester anymore.

Got some more kits from here and there but no paints to be had in this city and had to order some of amazon.

Myself and the father in law are both looking to brush up on mainly painting technique we have assess to an airbrush but only a cheep one with a can of gas rather then a compressor.

I am in the middle of my next build a Hurricane Airfix 1.72 from the Victoria Cross set. It is a horrible little kit loads of flash and the two half's of the fuselage did not mach up well at all loads of sanding and filing but have got my hands on some humbrol primer and have put 2 coats of that on it before painting hope this helps to get more detail from the kit to come through the paint?

Cheers Paul

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Well, I like these Paul and echo what the guys have said, your lad has done a great job as have you. No one on this site ever has looked down or slated some ones build, crit is asked for and techniques, hints, help are all offered. That is what this site is for: Top builders, intermediate builders, novice builders, all have a place.

Si:smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
A cheap AB is okay to start with, however the can of compressed air can be more hassle than they worth in regards quality of spray. Even a £30 no tank cheapo compressor will give better results than the air-can method. The SMF shop offers loads of items with a points system added to your purchases so that you can use these to get discount on further items.

P

Paul Daniell

Cheers Si

May have a look at an ab once I have a bit of a bigger budget am using some of the money i make from selling comic books online to get some more bits and bobs so if i have a good month with that this month may get one in feb.

cheers Paul

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi paul , for a first attempt those 2 are excellent , your sons really got the hang of the painting too. I have to agree with Si , the cannister air isnt worth it , better to get a small comp first if possible.As for the paints and supplies- the scale models online shop here is a great place and no doubt cheaper than amazon. cheers tony

P

Paul Daniell

Hi all

Just thought i would add my 3rd build Airfix hawker hurricane 1.72 scale from the Airfix Victoria cross set.

to be honest the kit was a bit of a pig quite a bit of flash and the fuselage didn't fit to well so loads of filing and sanding.

but here it is oh and used humbrol primer as a base coat for the paint which is new for me. meant I had to do less coats of paint which is always a good thing in my book plus it showed more of the kits details through the paint job.

Cheers Paul

View attachment 76578

View attachment 76579

73E4472D-1E60-4DED-8C03-1E8ADC996931_zps9xhgamam.jpg

EA8CCED5-CD06-4391-A8C1-6E1CD541A16F_zpsvdma5m2x.jpg

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
All that Hurry needs is some light ali weathering on the spinner, props, leading edges, cockpit area and then some exhaust weathering and that should finish it off nice. Great build, looks superb.

First Name
Mike
Those are looking good Paul. I believe that Hurri is one of the older Airfix kits, they've since released two newer tooled Hurricanes that are much easier to put together. Looks like you've done a good job of filling the wing root gaps on the last kit too

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice work . keep building and experimenting , nice to see a father and son have an interest that fun

and all the lads hear are great help as well and all round top, blokes and will lead you right

cheers

moni

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I like that Hurricane you've done a great job , :smiling3:

P

Paul Daniell

\ said:
All that Hurry needs is some light ali weathering on the spinner, props, leading edges, cockpit area and then some exhaust weathering and that should finish it off nice. Great build, looks superb.Si:smiling3:
Cheers Si

that's the thing matey most of my builds have all been box fresh finishes not to sure about weathering at the min.

They never seam to look right when I have a go at it was.

was thinking of using a little black pastel dust on the underside of the wings for gun smoke but not sure.

Thanks everyone for the positive comments. we have well and truly got the bug again just deciding which kit to do next? it is between two both new tooling airfix kits one is a mustang p51 I think and the other is a me 109 which one do you give recon I should have a bash at?

cheers Paul

First Name
Mike
\ said:
Thanks everyone for the positive comments. we have well and truly got the bug again just deciding which kit to do next? it is between two both new tooling airfix kits one is a mustang p51 I think and the other is a me 109 which one do you give recon I should have a bash at?

cheers Paul
Both are very nice kits, I just recently finished the P-51D and really enjoyed it.