First build's in about 20 years

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
You want to start off just doing simple dry-brushing-use a small brush and dip the end into the paint-then get rid of the excess paint on a tissue or a sponge and gently apply the brush to the edges, think about how the paint on the surface would react to feet, hands, scuffing, chipping etc and apply differently. Leading edge wear from handling near wing tips, slight air and rain wear from slicing through the air, water hitting edges at 300MPH and above can be very abrasive so the effects you would achieve are the tip of the brush on the edge and drag backwards from the front of the wing to the rear-not much just highlights. Propeller weathering is again on the leading edge and tips-where the edge bites into the air, dust, water etc all pit and erode over time. Cockpit weathering will be more a down edge stroke from hands, boots, parachute etc chipping paintwork and wearing it away. Pastels are good for smoke as is matt black dry brushed and then use a finger or sponge to smudge and blend.

Have a try on some left over pieces or that rubbish Spitfire, that way you can try and improve on something that is rubbish before you attempt on one of your other models.

Si:smiling3:

P

Paul Daniell

oh yeah i forgot I had that spit brick.

I get that the color for the weathering round the cockpit would be silver to show bare metal and the prop would be brown for wood but what coloring would you suggest for exhaust stains etc and foot and hand scuffs?

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
It depends on what aircraft you wish to weather. The Hurricane that you have done, has a three bladed variable pitch prop, probably a constant-speed Rotol prop, not made of wood. The early types had a fixed pitched two bladed Watts wooden prop. Hand scuffs are just part of the ali-the wings on Hurry's are Duraluminium from 1939 IRC, so would just be ali coloured underneath the paint-prior to this they had doped fabric wings. For the exhaust staining just mix some black and light grey-the grey is from the lead that was added in the fuel. Not much just a light streak. One think to watch out for is to remember the scale at 1/72, just hints and highlights or it will look over-done.

Hope it helps, I think I have the info correct but others may be able to give you more tips, or better tips, these are what have worked for me.

Si:smiling3:

A

Andy Mac

The models are looking good. You're doing what I'm planning, after a 30+ year lay-off I'm now returning to the hobby and will be starting with a few basic kits to develop some skills. After all, we don't want to do any silly learner cock-ups on any expensive kits, lol.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great looking hurricane Paul , You should be well chuffed with that one , cheers tony

P

Paul Daniell

Cheers Guys for the great feedback. think the plan with painting for now after discussion with my lad is that we will the fighters we like eg spitfire, hurricane, me 109 me 110, mig, yak, fw 190 mustang box fresh a bit like the die-casts we have collected and then we will get the kits again for painting experiments hopefully after we have got an airbrush.

bit like these onesView attachment 76629

View attachment 76630

Want to do another Hurricane at some stage as i want to do it like like johnny reds kite from the famous story in the Battle comics from when i was a kid.

i think it has been decided that the me 109 is next which will be started tomorrow.

My next question is when I do the mustang it is a red tails one in sliver we would like it to have the panel detail like the picture above but not sure how to do it??

Cheers Paul

CF9C064F-CBDF-4B68-B751-179FB2F9775A_zpsb5axbvnc.jpg

B862CB36-F4A4-4BC3-BA02-3FF472BC6E35_zpsv0cmqdh2.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great to hear youre both really enjoying it Paul. A couple of things to watch out for on your list though. The airfix Yak 9 is a real dog of a kit , the moulding dates from the 50's /60's ,so expect the worst ! Airfixs' recently released Red Tails mustang is a new mould and supposed to be very good , but if you say youre wanting to highlight the panel lines like the above pic , be aware that this is incorrect for the wings. The mustang had a laminar flow wing , very thin and to help aerodynamic flow all the panel gaps were filled with putty and the wing was painted silver . So the fuselage would have been in natural metal , complete with vuisible panel lines but the wing would have been smooth painted silver , the only lines that should be on it are the control surfaces (ailerons , flaps) . The way to get the effect is with a wash.After final decalling a panel wash is applied ,which is a thin mix of pigment in a suspension, When dry this is rubbed off using a damp rag leaving the wash only in the recesses of the panel lines . John sells the new Humbrol ones in the Scale models shop (link at top of page, look in the weathering section under washes) the dark grey one should be good for general purpose use . Hope this helps cheers tony

P

Paul Daniell

just thought I would post some picture of our last two planes.

the first on is The new tool me 109 1:72 scale. This is a nice kit but it is aimed at newbies and youngsters but to do the the kits as OOB you have to use 12 different colors of paint. some of the smaller parts are so small that they are hard to get off the spurs without braking them.

Then to top it off I decided to pain a varnish over it and it left a chalky white stain all over it which wouldn't come off with anything I tried so hence the thick paint job.

View attachment 78847

The next one was a Fariley Battle 1:72 scale from the airfix Victoria Cross set.

The kit was a really nice kit to build but had a lot of flash the cockpit and canopy fit was not great.

View attachment 78848

I think I can see a improvement in our builds and we have defo got the bug.

me109.jpg

battle plane.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice first builds Paul. Keep building. Despite the varnish issue, I think the 109 looks pretty good. The Battle looks good too, my only suggestion is attention to the seams in the fuselage. Otherwise it looks to be a nice clean build with nicely applied paint work.

Peej

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I've got the VC set and I had the same problem with the cockpit canopy not fitting very well on the Fariley Battle. I had to use filler on the fuselage as it didn't join too good. I'm getting back into model making after time off so I bought the VC set as it's 4 models for not a lot of money and using it to practice on before getting more expensive sets.