German but different. Do 27 'Serengeti'

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I have a couple of weeks break in my current job so I'm going to make a start on this.

It's a kit showing its age. A few sprues of not very finely detailed and not particularly well molded parts might mean that there will be unexpected fun to be had!

A sample sprue.

The clear parts look okay.

The instructions provide cut out masks to mask the black stripes, which would mean spraying white over black. That's not going to happen, we'll see how I get on later :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Cool! Some thing very different from your hanger Steve.

As for spraying White over Black, give it a try, you might be pleasantly surprised. I have done it with Vallejo model color's and has worked rather well.

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Cool! Some thing very different from your hanger Steve.As for spraying White over Black, give it a try, you might be pleasantly surprised. I have done it with Vallejo model color's and has worked rather well.

Ian M
Not for me! I know I can cover white with one nice light coat of black, or rather very dark grey in this case. The last thing I want is to spray multiple coats against so much masking. I know I'll end up with all sorts of secondary problems.

Cheers

Steve

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Couldn't you copy the masks and print them out as decals? Black decals should show as dark grey when put on a white surface.

Gern

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Couldn't you copy the masks and print them out as decals? Black decals should show as dark grey when put on a white surface.Gern
Could do Dave but I don't see a problem with masking. I've either got to cut out the kit masks and spray in what for me is just the wrong order or mask the white and spray the black. Either way I'm going to be doing a lot of masking, but at the end of the day it's only two colours!

Spraying the black gives me the option to vary, weather and fade it. This aircraft was in Africa after all.

Cheers

Steve

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
some think diffidence and interesting, will be watching this one,Steve, ;)

like to see how you do the camo, which way around you go :D

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
You know I wouldn't even notice this in a shop but I have learnt on here that many of the builders can make anything look great so it gives me an option if I fancy something different so I'll be keeping an eye out for this and see how it comes out :smiling3:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice choice Steve, something a bit different and colourful for your collection. Know what you mean about white on black, you get ridges after so many coats when the masking is removed.

P

Polux

Very interesting choice Steve, and nice to see you are building again as well ;) will follow this thread :smiling3:

Regards

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hang on, this isn't a WW2 aircraft! What's going on???!!!

This certainly is a departure from the norm Steve. I have to admit to never having heard of this aircraft. Looks very interesting though bit like a more modern Storch.

It'll be interesting seeing this older kit coming together and will no doubt be another Stona success.

Cheers P

L

Laurie

Interesting choice Steve and a dainty looking craft. The clear parts look good quality compared to my present Merlin build.

Just a thought does this belong to the zebra species ?

Laurie

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I guess it does. Michael Grzimek allegedly painted it this way so that it wouldn't scare the animals of East Africa so much, but I doubt that worked. Grzimek was killed in this very aircraft in 1959 when he crashed following a bird strike.

His father was one of the original post war 'conservationists' following a colourful career in the 3rd Reich :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

L

Laurie

Yes joking apart I wondered what the reason was although your description/explanation is very funny ?

Laurie

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I have made a start believe it or not.

The fit is terrible, the parts are badly formed and covered with flash, I was going to pose the aircraft with some open panels but the interior is an afterthought and the engine is a mostly formless piece of plastic! It's a kit that is definitely showing both its age and that this version was not the original one.

I'll be doing it zipped up once I've beaten it into some kind of shape, though there are quite a few large (and ill fitting) windows through which the rather sparse interior will unfortunately be visible :smiling3:

I'll post some piccies when I get some light tomorrow.

Cheers

Steve

L

Laurie

"Beating into shape" a very apt statement Steve whether literal or actual . Sometimes followed by a few, or even more, delightfully put together phrases.

A model crisis. Just been through one and this is a new tooling.

Laurie

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
As promised for those wanting a laugh!

The fuselage is more or less finished. Of particular interest are the ludicrously over scale hinges on the side doors.

I've managed to make one wing from the kit parts which seemed to be from two entirely different aeroplanes :smiling3:

I'm rebuilding the short shot half of the fin. I inserted some card and have applied a swipe of filler (visible here) to make the two halves at least similar.

Less said about the engine the better. Let's just say I won't be making a feature of it :smiling3:

The fit of the horizontal stabilisers/elevators was positively Tamiyaesque, once the flash was removed (mostly).

I know I'm giving this old kit a hard time, it's only fair to point out that it isn't great, but I'm having fun building it and eventually it will all be about that 'zebra' paint scheme anyway.

Cheers

Steve

D

dubster72

I feel your pain Steve! I'm going through a similar experience with my Revell Tomcat! That's why I haven't done a build thread ;)

But I'm expecting a silk purse from you!

Cheers

Patrick

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I appreciate your confidence Patrick but I'm only going to build what's in the box. I'll fix what I can to make it fit but that's it. I'm hoping to get it built and maybe even painted before I start the final leg of my current job on 5th May! If I don't manage it then so be it. I never inflict rigorous deadlines on myself as I discovered years ago that if I rush, then I will f**k up.

If someone wanted to spend a lot of time and effort they could do a lot of detailing, particularly in the very visible interior, and make something really outstanding. I'm afraid I'm not that someone :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Hi Steve, looks a dog to do, but I know you will lick...or kick it into shape. Interesting paint scheme, glad you're tackling that and not me.

Si:smiling3: