German but different. Do 27 'Serengeti'

P

Polux

Magnificent work so far Steve.

I can not make something really outstanding....but if you need two hands more, let me know ;)

:smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Finally managed to stick the nose and other bits on. None of this fitted very well, the nose still needs some fettling. If you follow the instructions for building the engine/cowling assembly it won't fit onto the fuselage. I had to build up some parts with plastic card and spread the 'hinge' of the upper cowlings to make it even approximately fit :smiling3: I also had to build up the dividing frame between the two halves of the windscreen as there was a 1.5mm gap on each side!!

Amazingly, a quick dry fit shows that the wings actually fit to the fuselage quite well. The same can't be said for the two undercarriage legs.

Cheers

Steve

N

noble

Fabulous work so far Steve, have to admire you aircraft guys it is the fuselage seams that bug me.

Scott

D

dubster72

I second that! Why oh why do aircraft kits fit so badly sometimes?

But in steves hands, it's coming out well.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice job Steve. Sounds like a really bad kit, but you are doing a good job so far. Any small indiscretions will be hidden by the striking external paint scheme I would think.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Why oh why do aircraft kits fit so badly sometimes?.
To keep us on our toes :smiling3:

Seriously, I don't know the history of this kit but judging by the poor fit and also the thickness of the panels (the cowlings must be a scale 6" thick!) it seems like a very old kit. That means that the molds were designed and cut using old technologies and now they may well be 'well used' as well.

Why parts like the fin and an engine cowling were short shot and everything is covered in flash, someone who knows more about the actual injection process would have to answer.

I don't mind fiddling about with plastic card and a handful of different fillers (everything on this one, Milliput, CA/baking powder, Mr Filler etc) because I have them and have an approximate idea of what you are supposed to do with them. I also have files, sand paper, scrapers, various scalpels, drills, different adhesives and all the other bits and pieces I've accrued over the years readily to hand. The problem arises if someone buys this as a cheap kit to have a go at building a model first time or on a return. They can't reasonably be expected to be equipped for the job and It will definitely put them off.

Scott seams are really not that bad, assuming that the two halves actually fit properly. I had to do a bit of work on this one. The grey residue on the spine is not filler, it's the residue from a guide coat I used to sand the mating surfaces so that they actually....errr....mated, combined with a colour I used in the glue so that I could see exactly where it was going. Also, on a kit like this, remove the locating pins as they just serve to misalign rather than align the parts :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Apparently this kit was released in 1989. Obviously it has had a hard time in the moulds.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great work so far Steve. It's always good to keep the 'hard graft' building skills honed! This kit may not be a multi-media, mega model with flawless fit but it's builds like this where you learn the most. It's builds like this that you develop your own techniques and learn a lot about yourself as a modeller in terms of patience! These skills also come in useful should you need to build a short run kit.

Most people can make a reasonable fist of putting together a modern kit it takes a true modeller to make something incredible from a very basic starting point.

Good skills and worth passing on

Cheers

P

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Looking good Steve despite the problems with the kit , the injection moulding is always a problem when using plastic , the bur/flash happens when the mould isn't tight enough and plastic seeps into the joining plates , this happens with mettle as well but with mettle it goes into a large drum with stones in it ( I forget what it's called ) that spins around and removes it but you can't do that with plastic so it's down to us to sort out :smiling3:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
coming along nicly Steve, with all the problems you are having, and very good to see you over coming them and making it look great,:rolleyes:

look forward to seeing what your fixed nexted o_O

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Revell also do a standard Do 27 and a Do 27 Fpl 53-probably from the same moulds. Poor fitting moulds would produce more flash I would have thought.

There is a link here regarding this build and painting Steve: http://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=1810 may help in painting.

Si:smiling3:

T

treyzx10r

Way to beat that unit into shape Steve,always a pleasure watching you work your magic. Also a treat to get the back story on your builds! Looking forward to the next update,cheers Trey

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Everything has gone very white!

Excuse the ratty old cutting mat, the aircraft was almost perfectly camouflaged against my work top :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The build looks really good to me. 'Fit problems? What fit problems!!!'

Looking really smart in it's lo-vis livery too!

This model, I'm sure, will prove to be another Stona success despite the kit's shortcomings.

Cheers

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks pretty neat in white, nice job fitting that together Steve.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
The build looks really good to me. 'Fit problems? What fit problems!!!'Paul
I was wondering that too. Whatever they were, they've obviously been dealt with.

Gern

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The masking process is nearing completion. I can't tell you how much fun this is !

I'm hoping to get this sprayed before I have to go away to work again. I get back towards the end of May and have another project (one I've been wanting to do for a while) which I want to get on with :smiling3:

Once sprayed it will only take a few days to finish.

Cheers

Steve

0ne48thtel

This is looking really good Steve despite the trials and tribulations you have had along the way.