Gern's Emergency services GB - Chat thread

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi guys. Ian has kindly set this up for my 999 GB.

We have so far:

Me
Ian (Papa 695)
Mike (Valeron)
Steve (Brody)
John (Wotan)
Steve (Airborne01)
Geoff (Geoffers)
PJ
Rick (Mini me)
Jack (Jack L)
Andy (outrunner)
Tony (Yak face)

... and maybes:

Neil Merryweather
Ian (Ian M)
Paul (Paulinkendal)
Anyone else that wants to join in. Feel free, no need to ask.
Target build:

Any type of vehicle/aircraft/ship and or personnel involved with emergency calls (Fire, Ambulance, Police - SAR and Coastguard are allowed also) either civilian or military.
Any scale.
Any manufacturer.
Add-ons and aftermarket is allowed but no dios except maybe a simple base.

Start Jan 1 2023 - Finish March 31 2023.

Usual rules apply:
Box and sprue shots to start (You can put these up any time now) BUT NO BUILDING UNTIL JAN 1

There's a couple of guys who want to do scratchbuilds so no sprueshots. That's fine, but it would be nice if you could give us some idea of your plans.

Please start your own build thread - can you limit the title to: Your Name; the scale and the kit you intend to build - rather than putting everything here. Makes it much easier for everyone to track what's happening.

Good luck with your builds and thanks for joining. I'm really looking forward to what you guys are going to produce.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I've been sorting through my candidates for this. Turns out I got more choice than I thought.

I got two SAR boats, five fire engines and seven ambulances to choose from. Oh the benefits of a decent stash! I'm fairly sure I know which one I'm going for so I'll post my box and sprue shots in a bit.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I thought I'd create a tense moment in a rural telephone exchange when local PC, (Bobby Clodson) has been alerted (via 999) to the heinous crime of the theft of a Massey Ferguson tractor's spare wheel. It will be challenging I know but, hey, nothing ventured - nothing gained! (Imagine the potential of the anguish on 1/35 scale faces and the inherent tension of the bodyforms!). Wish me luck ...
Steve

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Best I can do is a Medic, but does it really fit?

If I was lying bleeding on a battlefield, a medic would certainly count as emergency assistance. Go for it Karl!

Do you want me to add you to the list?

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I thought I'd create a tense moment in a rural telephone exchange when local PC, (Bobby Clodson) has been alerted (via 999) to the heinous crime of the theft of a Massey Ferguson tractor's spare wheel. It will be challenging I know but, hey, nothing ventured - nothing gained! (Imagine the potential of the anguish on 1/35 scale faces and the inherent tension of the bodyforms!). Wish me luck ...
Steve
Nowt wrong with that Steve as long as PC Clodson is in uniform! It may not be as dramatic as, say, that aircraft crash on the M4 a few years ago, but the theft of a tractor wheel counts as an emergency to some! :smiling:

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
If I was lying bleeding on a battlefield, a medic would certainly count as emergency assistance. Go for it Karl!

Do you want me to add you to the list?
Still a maybe at this point, works getting hectic and a see a lot of 6 day weeks heading my way.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Steve
I was joking - let's not believe all rural plods are investigating such dastardly crimes!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Bit busy Dave, but will look in on this, should be different.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Dave, I'm minded to a Mountain Rescue theme - how many figures would not constitute a diorama?
Steve

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Tricky one that Steve. Eight figures would normally definitely constitute a diorama - but what if they're soldiers sitting in the back of a troop carrier sat on a road? It would also depend on how much scenery you put on your base.

The problem with this sort of idea is that your model would be telling a story, and builds with a definite story are almost always classed as dioramas.

As an example, I'd class this as a diorama:

OIP dio.jpg

You would have to include a fair amount of background in the form of some sort of cliff face to justify the stretcher suspended in mid air.

But this would be OK:

OIP gb.jpg

No background required, just a flat base with some gravel and grass.

What are you thinking of Steve?

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Tricky one that Steve. Eight figures would normally definitely constitute a diorama - but what if they're soldiers sitting in the back of a troop carrier sat on a road? It would also depend on how much scenery you put on your base.

The problem with this sort of idea is that your model would be telling a story, and builds with a definite story are almost always classed as dioramas.

As an example, I'd class this as a diorama:

View attachment 466442

You would have to include a fair amount of background in the form of some sort of cliff face to justify the stretcher suspended in mid air.

But this would be OK:

View attachment 466443

No background required, just a flat base with some gravel and grass.

What are you thinking of Steve?
One or two figures with (perhaps) a stretcher roping down ... on a slabby rock face was my thoughts on this mate. No other detail included - similar to my SAS figure in concept really
Steve

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
A similar question.......I plan to have a JU52 on the ground (base) with the cargo door open, ambulance backed up to it, with 2 stretcher men loading a wounded soldier into the plane with an air crewman to receive it. yea or nay ?

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
One or two figures with (perhaps) a stretcher roping down ... on a slabby rock face was my thoughts on this mate. No other detail included - similar to my SAS figure in concept really
Steve

How about if you entered just the figures for the GB and added your background later in the dios section?

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
A similar question.......I plan to have a JU52 on the ground (base) with the cargo door open, ambulance backed up to it, with 2 stretcher men loading a wounded soldier into the plane with an air crewman to receive it. yea or nay ?

Similar answer to what I suggested to Steve. What if you just entered the 'plane or ambulance to the GB and put everything together in a build in the dios section?

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
So here's my first draft sketch of what I am going to try for. This will be a bust at 1/9th or maybe 1/6th scale. It may well evolve a little so the "box art" does not necessarily reflect the true contents.

first draft.jpg

John

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
So here's my first draft sketch of what I am going to try for. This will be a bust at 1/9th or maybe 1/6th scale. It may well evolve a little so the "box art" does not necessarily reflect the true contents.

View attachment 466517

John

Nice picture John. Which organisation does he represent?