Gluing static grass

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Wondering what glue you guys are using/would recommend when using static grass?

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Si
I use diluted PVA with a few drops of washing up liquid in it to help it flow on the base. This can be brushed or applied via a dropper.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Tried different methods for years mate...
Never cracked it really,I'll be looking out for any tips or methods that you'll think of/receive :smiling3:

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
If I'm using a static applicator I'll apply neat pva to the surface then sprinkle the grass on top, usually working in random patches rather than a full spread over the whole area, to give a "tufty" look rather than a perfect bowling green.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Si
I use diluted PVA with a few drops of washing up liquid in it to help it flow on the base. This can be brushed or applied via a dropper.
I would never of thought to use Squishy up liquid with it or to thin it Down. I’ll definitely have to try that :thumb2:
Do you have a PVA of choice?

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Tried different methods for years mate...
Never cracked it really,I'll be looking out for any tips or methods that you'll think of/receive :smiling3:
I remember your Jagdpanther (?) with the blown track ( I hope that’s right) and the torn up grass…..looked good if indeed it was your/s and I’m not just loosing my marbles :smiling5:

My attempts are never really convincing. I built myself an applicator thingy and Everything. :thinking:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
If I'm using a static applicator I'll apply neat pva to the surface then sprinkle the grass on top, usually working in random patches rather than a full spread over the whole area, to give a "tufty" look rather than a perfect bowling green.
This is a good point, maybe I shouldn’t look at my lawn for inspiration!

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
I paint the base with a earth color then apply it that way you can get a underneath dirt look. When the paint dries the grass should stay. Here’s a example View attachment 492722View attachment 492723View attachment 492724View attachment 492725

Beautiful layout Lee, my teenage son is pestering me to put a double O layout in the attic (not sure of scale compared to US scales ?) and I’m trying to convince him to go N gauge and have in his room instead…..hoping I can get his agreement as it will be less jobs for me ;)

So are you saying zero glue….just paint to retain it?

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I remember your Jagdpanther (?) with the blown track ( I hope that’s right) and the torn up grass…..looked good if indeed it was your/s and I’m not just loosing my marbles :smiling5:

My attempts are never really convincing. I built myself an applicator thingy and Everything. :thinking:
Blimey mate, you've got a good memory!!
Yes, indeed that was my wrecked Jagdpanther,way back then!:hugging-face:
It's still one of my favourite builds if I'm honest,thank you for remembering it!:thumb2:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Dilute PVA here as well. If you are using an applicator don’t forget to put one pole in the glued area so the charge can build up….I usually push a pin into the surface and use a crocodile clip on the wire to attach it.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Si, have a look at Luke Towan on UTube.
Here he discusses the use of both the PVA and the washing up liquid being added .

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Dilute PVA here as well. If you are using an applicator don’t forget to put one pole in the glued area so the charge can build up….I usually push a pin into the surface and use a crocodile clip on the wire to attach it.
My logic was that thicker glue would hold the grass better, but it seems diluted is the way to go.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Si, have a look at Luke Towan on UTube.
Here he discusses the use of both the PVA and the washing up liquid being added .
Evening mate, hope all is well at Race towers?

Now this is an extremely handy result as I actually have a pot of modge podge at the back of the cupboard for ages!

Thanks very much for finding that video:thumb2:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Evening mate, hope all is well at Race towers?

Now this is an extremely handy result as I actually have a pot of modge podge at the back of the cupboard for ages!

Thanks very much for finding that video:thumb2:
All well thank you Si
I saw that video some time ago, when I made up a bottle of the mix with dishwasher liquid and tried it out the result following with the PVA flow it was amazing.
I used some normal joinery PVA just thinned down as he mentioned .

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
just paint to retain it?
Yes if it’s still loose lightly spray it with white glue water mixture that should seal it. I can’t remember the mixture I just mix it to my liking. I used different shades of grasses I like the early spring look so I mix a little dead looking grasses with a little bright to get this look. I also make som bare spots too

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
diluted is the way to go.
Most definitely. I found some pics of my HO layout only I used black sand instead of Grass. I’m also including a pic of my favorite go to turf blend that I add a little brighter grasses to it to give a spring like look. That Brown paint is really cheap at Wal-Mart F0BBD25A-A83D-4DEA-84D8-2C7CBFB8C5AF.jpegFD20D220-502F-4429-8BC1-495596EEA597.jpegB6B93F7B-9153-4517-8BEF-765EDE9F431A.jpeg9F4FED45-578C-44E3-A023-D9278B2069F9.jpegD3176957-7D77-453B-A5C2-7FFF849686FB.jpeg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I got to dilute PVA by trial and error. Static charge makes the grass fall “standing up”, (if that makes any sense). The tail of the grass then penetrates the glue and sticks in that position. Non diluted PVA skins over too quickly (probably due to the lower water content) so the grass can’t penetrate and stick to it when it drops. Diluting the PVA slows the skin over time making the process more successful. Never thought of adding a surfactant like washing up liquid though. Might try that if I ever do it again.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I'm using quite a cheap, runny PVA. That may be why I've never found the need to dilute it for static grass.

I do dilute it when applying on top of scenic items to fix them down (usually through a pipette or spray mist bottle), generally spraying the surface with alcohol first to break the surface tension.

Washing up liquid sounds like a good idea instead though.