Gluing static grass

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
I put little blobs of pva all over in a random pattern and all not at once, then take an applicator and sprinkle the long grass over the area. Then if I want some longer grass I cut it from a cheap paintbrush bought from the local diy shop. Once the whole area is covered then I get to work with first the base coat of black primer and once dry then start to colour the grass....

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
I put little blobs of pva all over in a random pattern and all not at once, then take an applicator and sprinkle the long grass over the area. Then if I want some longer grass I cut it from a cheap paintbrush bought from the local diy shop. Once the whole area is covered then I get to work with first the base coat of black primer and once dry then start to colour the grass....
Currently trying the ‘paint the lot with black primer’ painting technique….not sure how it’s going :thinking:

Panzerwrecker

SMF Supporter
First Name
Los
Currently trying the ‘paint the lot with black primer’ painting technique….not sure how it’s going :thinking:
It really is the best method. Not only does it hide any glossy sheen that the PVA might leave but the majority of static grasses I have ever used also leave an unnatural sheen. You can’t really go wrong with applying all the groundworks then applying a black or dark earth coloured primer for a shadow base coat. There are a plethora of green grass coloured acrylics and it’s also simple to mix yellow and blues to get the perfect highlighted grass tones.

Best of luck

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
It should be ok. Choose different greens and randomly spray small areas working from light to dark colours.... once you have your grass colours you can then spray around the area with an earth/grey mix to cover any blank spaces.
Check out this part of my Centurion AVLB base that I have just finished, that might help you.

1697185590835.jpeg

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
It should be ok. Choose different greens and randomly spray small areas working from light to dark colours.... once you have your grass colours you can then spray around the area with an earth/grey mix to cover any blank spaces.
Check out this part of my Centurion AVLB base that I have just finished, that might help you.

View attachment 492814
I’d be more than happy to get a result like that…..very Nice :smiling4:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Thanks very much gents.
If I’m honest I was just mimicking what Nightshift did in his video and listening to how you guys do it. So i won’t take credit…

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Si, now that is really good, was the concrete/path a cork sheet to start? Well done.
Hi Mike,
Yes I did use thin cork sheet (3mm) for the concrete slab.
Glad you like and thanks again for your help :smiling4:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Si that's turned out very nicely indeed! I would be really chuffed with that!

ATB.

Andrew

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Thanks very much gents.
If I’m honest I was just mimicking what Nightshift did in his video and listening to how you guys do it. So i won’t take credit…

Watched the video earlier today.... I'm off work sick.... Nothing serious..... And I have to say you've done a really great job of recreating his base.

Great work Si!!

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Watched the video earlier today.... I'm off work sick.... Nothing serious..... And I have to say you've done a really great job of recreating his base.

Great work Si!!
Off sick watching youtube modelling videos all day! You poor old thing ;):smiling5: ….Good to read it’s nothing serious.

Im glad you liked it because it was enjoyable for me too.

Much of it will be covered by the tank IMG_1298.jpeg