Hasegawa 1/32 Junkers JU87D STUKA

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I decided to make my own seat belts from Tamiya tape and thin electrical wire...... I think they've come out ok.Vaughan
So do I ,they look very good.

Cheers

Steve

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Thanks Guys. Steve I had to weigh up what to go for canopy masks or PE belts I have to keep an eye on the £'s, as what starts off as a bargain model soon starts adding up and also it's a bit of a challenge making your own.

Vaughan

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Another 1:32 Vaughan, what's up, lost your glasses ? But really, it's looking very good.

Colin M..

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
No they're on the end of my nose, wouldn't be able to model without them. I think I stick to 1/32 as I feel comfortable working at that scale. Saying that I didn't realise how big this bird is going to be, I'm running out of space to display them.

Vaughan

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tecdes

I admire your paint work Vaughan. Wish I had to guts to try it.

Seat belts must try this technique next time. Tried Edouard on the present model look OK but not really impressed they look stiff & not all that authentic.

Laurie

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Thanks Laurie

I would give it a go with the home made seat belts as you say the P.E ones too stiff and take a lot of manipulation to make them look realistic. Mine weren't too difficult to make but that's at 1/32 scale. The ones demonstrated on that link were in fact 1/48 scale so might be a bit more fiddly. The main thing is that it saves a lot of money and I think they look fine to me considering they will be very visible with the large canopy.

Here's my progress so far, outer wings and wing root assembly are together(still a dry fit between the two of them). All is a good a nice and snug on a dry fit with the fuselage. Still to completely join the fuselage behind the rear gunner I'm giving it a go with plastic weld which takes some getting use to but at least you can do it in stages. As I said before she is going to be one big bird and I have still to fit the wing tips!.

Vaughan

View attachment 44015

View attachment 44016

View attachment 44017

View attachment 44018

View attachment 44019

_MG_0033.jpg

_MG_0034.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

V

Vajled

seat belts look just fine... better to say looks great.

and how I vcan see from pictures also your work all arround Stuka is great

Roman

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Thanks LaurieI would give it a go with the home made seat belts as you say the P.E ones too stiff and take a lot of manipulation to make them look realistic.

Vaughan
I agree with you both about PE belts. You can just about make them look right in an empty cockpit but they really don't fit over a pilot as I like them to do from time to time.

I use the paper ones with PE buckles etc from RB Productions in 1/32. I don't think they are too expensive on a model that might have cost £40-£60 already and they look very good. I've always struggled to get the metalwork to look right on home made ones but then I struggle with a lot of things :smiling3:

That Stuka is really coming along and starting to look mighty impressive.

Cheers

Steve

D

dubster72

That's looking really good Vaughan! Who needs expensive PE seatbelts when yours are that good? ;) I'm looking forward to seeing this one progress.

Patrick

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi all

Here's yesterdays progress. I have finally finished gluing the fuselage using plastic weld this seems to have worked ok although the seams still required a smear of plastic putty. The wings are now complete with the addition of the wing tips, they are the short ones as I'm doing the trop version, they also required plastic putty. To be honest and this is my first Hasegawa kit I'm not overly impressed with the fit. when I came to fit the wings to the fuselage there is a step at the rear where the two meet. The Revell Arado that I finished a couple of weeks ago and at half the price of the Stuka had a far better fit. I don't know if this an old tooling which might account for this. Anyway the wheel spats are together and have been sprayed RLM 70 and then masked and the gaiters have had a coat of black. The forward section of the fuselage has had the splinter pattern added also in RLM 70. The main bomb is together and sprayed. I'm still considering buying some canopy masks unless I can come up with a better Idea.

Vaughan

View attachment 44209

View attachment 44210

View attachment 44211

View attachment 44212

View attachment 44213

View attachment 44214

View attachment 44215

View attachment 44216

View attachment 44217

_MG_0009.jpg

_MG_0026.jpg

_MG_0028.jpg

_MG_0035.jpg

_MG_0036.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

D

dubster72

Some nice clean painting there Vaughan, you're getting a great finish on the nose section.

Patrick

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
I've made a start on the masking of the canopy. I found an image of the eduard mask and printed it. I used this as an overlay over the masking tape and cut it out using a sharp scalpel blade. They came out slightly larger than I needed so I trimmed them to reduce the size but this still gave me the correct angles.

Vaughan

View attachment 44354

_MG_0053.jpg

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Vaughan

That's some great work on the Stuka and so soon after the Arado!

I've used the same trick on canopy masks. You can also take rubbings of old masks.

Looks great so far looking forward to another great build.

All the best

Paul