Hasegawa F6F-3 as voted for by you!

F

Fenlander

Mmmm, nice prop. I think my spinner is the same all over dark blue as the rest of the aircraft,

As for the tips, I always spray the tip colour first then apply a tiny mask on each end then spray the black. Don't know why but I find it easier to get the same sized tips this way. Just horses for courses as they say, makes no odds.

Does anyone else feel sometimes that black is too black? On the Seahawk, the 'pit is supposed to be blackish. Revell call out is for their Anthracite which is a very deep dark grey. I am coming round to the idea that this is a really good scale 'black'

R

Richy C

Got to agree with you Graham I find black to black if that makes sense , I tend to use vallejo`s german grey instead of black .

Richy

B

backonthecase

Graham, once again your experience has given me a much needed education - that should have been what I did, light colour first then dark colour!! D'oh!!

Re the black, I agree. IMHO (which is not necessarily right!!) it depends on where it is. I like props to be BLACK (I dunno why I single them out) , but tyres, WWII RAF bomber undersides, control panels etc I do with a couple of drops of brown or mid grey in with the black - takes the edge off it. After all, tyres aren't actually black. Theres a brand (i forget which) that makes a "Black Grey" which is also meant to work really well.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I always do black props grey. Nothing scientific,just random lightening of black. On the 1/72 P-40 I did for the diorama I lightened RLM66 a lot. Don't forget to weather prop blades (I don't mean chipping. Here's a picture of some other naval aircraft showing this. These are 801 Sqn. Sea Furies leaving Gibraltar en route to Malta aboard HMS Glory.

Cheers

Steve

B

backonthecase

You make a good point! I'm gona have to break out the weathering tools on the prop!! I'll get the yellow done first though! Cheers for the tip! Oh and nice photo too!!

Stuart

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Oh and nice photo too!! Stuart
Thanks Stuart,it's one taken by my late father and unpublished until I scanned and posted it here. Right click and save,he would have liked his photographs put to good use.

Cheers

Steve

B

backonthecase

Thanks for that Steve, I appreciate you giving clearance to do that. An excellent shot of some Beautiful subjects (including the rock)

Stuart

B

backonthecase

Progress this evening - 'pit finished, one or two last looks before buttoning up

I've painted worse instruments, but this technique needs a bit of tweaking (I just used a wash of white, built up in layers on the dials).

Fuselage buttoned up, prop finished (before the masking tape took the decal with it), fuel tank and U/C painted.

Stuart

B

backonthecase

Cheers Graham - since these photos I've done some cleanup on the seams, attached the wings and engine, masked the cowling opening. Next on the list is drilling out and attaching the exhausts, and masking that darn canopy :sad: not my fave job

Dunno what to do about that decal - except scrounge the spares box for another set I've somehow not used, but I've not built any other WWII 1:48 scale!!!

Stuart

B

backonthecase

one of the oval prop manufacturers decals came off wheni masked for the chrome spinner (even under a coat of Klear) ... it's absence is present (or vice versa - its prescence is absent) in the last photo...

F

Fenlander

Ahhh, see what you mean, although I didn't... if you catch my drift. Could you not do a bit of red and yellow paint to represent it? Or maybe it has writing on, I cannot tell from the pic.

EDIT Or, I have 4 of these and only need 3 so I could send you one if they look similar, they are a tad more yellow than they look in the pic but not as strong as yours look.

View attachment 23932

Capture_00006.jpg

B

backonthecase

The writing is miniscule - unreadable to me naked eyes... good plan about the paint, maybe under a layer of weathering I'd be able to pass it as a decal... I'll give it a go and see where I land,...

Finished masking the canopy. Gunsight and armour glass is fixed in position and glue is drying. Tomorrow after work, canopy will be glued and primer coat on hopefully.

Stuart

B

backonthecase

That'd be great Graham - even if it's slightly different it's better than having no decal on one blade! Thanks a million :no1b:

F

Fenlander

No probs, can you PM your address and I will get it sent up for you.

B

backonthecase

Right, so the result of an evening's worth of swearing, wrestling, re-masking, gluing and trying not to break anything, is now something that resembles an F6 - canopy and tailplanes are on, tailplanes are drying now, so primer and - depending on the PSR requirements - maybe first coat of white underside due for this evening! Pics to follow

Stuart

B

backonthecase

Ok then.... 1st primer coat and some filler. As you can see, there is no need for much - well done Hasegawa!

The main concentrations are the upper nose joint, lower rear fuselage joint and the wing leading edges. I think I may only need one round of PSR (famous last words!!)

Photos

Comments welcome

Stuart