Hasegawa F6F-3 as voted for by you!

F

Fenlander

Decal has been posted today Stuart. Looking good mate. Detail on the Hasagawa look as good as the Eduard, this is going to be good. Have to say though, I don't envy you the three colour scheme. Blending the white into the light blue and then into the dark. Is it soft edged or hard? Looks fairly soft from the pictures I have seen. Err, what is PSR?

B

backonthecase

Excellent cheers - so prop aint far away now :smiling3: It is soft....which is slightly annoying. I'm thinking white 1st, then for the blues, lots of thinner and not a lot of pressure around the edges, I have a dual action airbrush so hope that'll ease the pain slightly.

PSR = our old friend Putty Sand Repeat!

Right - I'm off to rub it down and get another blast of primer on it!!

Stuart

B

backonthecase

Ok, so I hate painting things white > :sad:

I put a light coat on the underside just to get started and I've now got the wingroots filled and the pre-shading done on the sides and underneath

...And thanks to the generosity of a most kind Graham, I now have 3 decals on my 3 prop blades, the way it should be ( I lost one to the masking tape monster y'see)

Stuart

F

Fenlander

Glad it got there safe Stuart, looks OK to me :smiling:

Builds coming on nicely. I have done nothing over the Bank Holiday weekend due to other commitments. Also been out to Woburn Safari Park today, great day out but nothing model worthy lol.

B

backonthecase

I've not done a lot either tbh - too busy working, doin bank hol things with t'other 'alf, and trying to get a build for my bro close to finishing (KC-135 1/72 in 2 tone Grey scheme - masking nightmare), but I think another 1 coat of white on the 'Cat and that's the 1st of the 3 tone finished :smiling3:

Stuart

B

backonthecase

Le update.

After a bit of a challenge with the leading edge, I've got this masked for the intermediate blue. Graham oh how I envy you with your all over Blue :sad:

Hopefully it'll be painted tomorrow night. I don't want the blu tack on longer than it has to be.

Thanks for watching

Stuart

F

Fenlander

Od isn't it? I would have loved the challenge of the three colours lol. I think the one colour is what made it a boring build for me. Keep it up mate, ya doing fine.

B

backonthecase

Dammit, we shoulda traded colour schemes - I need the practice on the single colours!! lol (although I need the practice on masking as well!!)

Hopefully if Ii don't overload the blu-tack the inter blue shouldn't be too stressful. I'll post pics tonight (if I haven't chucked it out the window)

Thanks Graham - yours is lookin the mutts nuts, it's quite a show to follow...!!

Stuart

B

backonthecase

Got the intermediate blue on - Humbrol 144, 2 coats, plus 1 coat of Klear

Stuart

B

backonthecase

Got the dark blue on and that's the 3-colour complete...

Next up, guns, aerial replacement (always breaks off for me), decals and weathering...

Stuart

B

backonthecase

I've just noticed the overspray marks at the wing root! Damn!!!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Dont worry stuart. easily fixed. Its looking superb now, nearly there keep up the good work , cheers tony

B

backonthecase

Thanks Tony, Got it fixed now and re-Kleared, so decals tomorrow hopefully :o )

Stuart

B

backonthecase

Well I started decalling today. I thought I'd start with the big easy ones on the wing. It went ok as the decals are superb - well done Hasegawa... Unfortunately I think I OD'd them on Microsol, so the "2" has gone a bit crinkly and scratched

The other side was a bit better and it's certainly hugged the panel lines - should look good under a wash

I moved onto the cat mouth - big gamble, which partially did and partially didn't pay off.... I need a new temper and a new bottle of patience as both have had their butts worked off. I have to praise Hasegawa again for the engineering of the intake decals, the only errors were produced by my own ham-fistedness...

Comments and soothing songs welcome!!! ;D

Stuart

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looks like all that patience and the odd temper tantrum has paid off in the end. Exellent job on the sharks teeth!

Mean while I am waiting patiently to see it finished.

Ian M

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
great job with the decals , stuart, that intake looks like it must have been a bugger! keep at it, cheers tony

B

backonthecase

Thanks guys, it does look better on camera than in flesh, but in general I'm happy with it. Yes it was a bugger Tony, There are 4 more to go in there (somehow) on the edges of the vanes separating the 3 sections... phew, that's for another day!!

Stuart

B

backonthecase

Ok dokey then... the kitty can now see what she's chewing on...

Some of the other fuselage ones on: -

These were pretty well behaved except for the roundel tearing in the below pic...

That's enough for my eyes tonight, I'm off to bed!!

Stuart

F

Fenlander

Have to say Stuart that yor decals are a lot more interesting than the ones on my Eduard. Hats off to Hasegawa for making such a good kit and decaling it out so well. The paint job looks really good in these shots to. The edges of each colour look really in scale and how I would expect them to look so hats off to you to for doing such a good job with it.

B

backonthecase

Thanks Graham. They really have done the artwork well, my only crit of the decals is that they are a little fragile and tend to turn up at the edges...

I only have a few left as of tonight, getting real tired of the little stencils, but on the upside I now know the locations of various fuel drains, battery ports, fuel fillers, sling and hoist points, where to step, where not to step, if ever I need to service or fuel up a Hellcat.... :smiling3:

Stuart