Hasegawa P 38 J Lightning

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
This build was really an experiment in producing a nmf, but a tired and weathered one. So I wanted something metallic looking and picked on this. How I wish I went for the Tamiya 'Jug' But I didn't, so this little beast took far too long to build having just a number of fit issues to deal with, when all I really wanted to do was paint and weather !

So, here's the result. Is it what I was aiming for ? well, close enough, but then again, I wasn't exactly sure what I wanted.
IMG_2233.JPG

IMG_2236.JPG

IMG_2239.JPG

IMG_2242.JPG

IMG_2254.JPG

IMG_2262.JPG

IMG_2266.JPG

The paint was also a bit of an experiment. I would normally use Alclad for nmf, but this time used the Vallejo metal colours, and yes, they are good. I would be happy to use them again. A couple of different shades were used and then the main weathering was done using oils, splodged on top of everything. I think my biggest criticism is the metal finish is to uniform in it's appearance. I need a bit more variance here.
Oh yes, the drop tanks are nice and shiny, because they're newly fitted.

Any suggestions how to achieve a well worn nmf, please do tell.

Thanks
Colin M..

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great looking lightning Colin, youve captured the well used look brilliantly in my opinion. If you want a bit more variation and a well worn /weathered look maybe try some eye shadow in different shades.It works great for me ,I used it on the f 100 Super sabre and voodoo of my ongoing century series builds if you remember , cheers tony

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
maybe try some eye shadow in different shades
Yes Tony I do remember. That could be a good one, different shades of grey, some also have a touch of metallic about them. I shall seek daughter No2's opinion. Although she has caught me before checking out her sanding sticks and paint brushes (although she calls them something else) and is these days a bit defensive about what's on her bench, I mean dressing table.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Cracking work Colin I really like the P38 and you've done a great job on this one.
As for the variation of colour, I've been thinking the same, what to do.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
As for the variation of colour, I've been thinking the same, what to do.
Yes, it's a little too plane - see what I did there, plane, not plain. Oh come on, I'm tired. I wonder if my missing link is something to do with the way real nmf aircraft reflect light due to lumps and bumps in their metal work. This model doesn't do that.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I reckon you've already nailed that worn and faded metallic look on this one Colin. A real beauty, nice job

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks for stopping by gentlemen.

I reckon you've already nailed that worn and faded metallic look
And thank you Joe. I reckon you've seen a bit of faded aluminium in your time, so yes. It's done.

First Name
Wouter
Hi Colin, I like that P-38 a lot mate, really nice paintwork and the weathering sure is the icing on the cake!

Cheers

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Colin
I like that. The finish is excellent - used and abused.
Jim

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Evening Colin,
An excellent example of quality building and paintwork! Very good indeed :thumb2:
Si

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks again for your comments everyone. As the general consensus is the finish is ok, that'll do me then. This nmf was a bit of a test before I launch into the Revell B17, which has a good mix of nmf and painted surfaces.
Thanks again everyone.

First Name
Alex
I think it looks great! one of my favourite aircraft, used to have the Airfix 1:72 one when I was younger before it met the business end of a BB gun :anguished:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
What a superb model, lovely paintwork and weathering.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Great tired looking aircraft, good work indeed!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks again gentlemen for having a look. I mentioned previously I wasn't sure what the final finish should look like, I just wanted a weathered nmf. Consensus seems to be, it's just about right. Thanks for your input everyone.