Heinkel He 177 'Grief' under construction

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Adrian,I just checked your progress all the way from Australia,the wonders of the internet! It looks very nice but are you sure that RLM02 is the right colour. It's up to you but I would have thought RLM76 was the more likely background colour.

Cheers

Steve

K

Kressy13

Hi mate

Looking good. Where in aus are you steve?

Cheers

Kresten

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Kresten,I'm in Canberra this evening and tomorrow and then off to Sydney for a few days. The locals think it's a bit chilly but compared to what SWMBO and I left behind in the UK it's absolutely beautiful. We were in Melbourne which was a bit wet in the evening but who cares when it doesn't turn to ice overnight lol.

I've visited your beautiful country before but it's SWMBO's first time and she loves it and the people. You are a very friendly bunch,I've discovered that peering in a mystified way at a map will guarantee somebody asking if you need a bit of help. Try that in London!

Cheers

Steve

J

JFJ

Cheers guys.

@ Steve I lightened the RLM 02 a tad (though it seems not a tad) to increase the contrast between the two colours. Both background colours were accurate so I had a choice between stripping the mask and repainting the 73 or lightening the 02 and I chose the second option. Does look a little off though. Darken the 02?

During the painting today there was the same sputtering problem and the drops of paint, when dried, looked like mountains seen from space when you look at it from above rofl. Hope some light sanding will do the job?

Adrian

Last edited:
K

Kressy13

Hi mate.

Yea it has been a bit wet lately. Oh well. Lol. I have family in Melbourne and it's a nice place but it does get a bit cold. I prefer 35-40 degrees. Lol. Do the thermometers get that high in the uk? Lol. It has been getting warm during the day though. You never are short of someone to lend a hand here. It is great. Well enjoy the rest of your holiday in our great country.

Cheers.

Kresten

J

JFJ

Well Kresten,

seemed like you replied when I was typing my message and...

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Adrian,it looks fine ,if you are happy with it then leave it as it is! You are building it for you not me lol.

Kresten,you can be sure that we will.

Cheers

Steve

T

treyzx10r

nice to see it coming along Adrian,wish I had known about blue tac a long time ago

J

JFJ

Sorry bout the short absense guys,

first of all merry christmas to everyone. I'm not having much luck with my compresser here. My airbrush is a low pressure one and my compresser has a water tank which acts as an in-built regulator so the "regulator" retards the paint whenever I spray so I may creep into the new year with this one here. not any chances of continuing soon as its back to school when the new year starts. Next year i will probably only have weekends and march to finish this build so we'll see how it goes...

Adrian

J

JFJ

Hi everyone,

Does anybody have an idea of how to scratchbuild the piece of dome in the front? i don't know if its possible to scratch build the clear parts. I lost mine. Here's a picture (part number 2) :darn:

View attachment 29995

gunnerytj.jpg

gunnerytj.jpg

Last edited:
T

treyzx10r

Adrian sorry to hear you lost that part,I've used cut down clear plastic lids off my wifes lipstick tops before or you could try your hand at vacuum forming one,good luck

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi adrian, you could try plunge moulding a piece using clear acetate and a male former but without the original piece to refer to it might be difficult, have you tried e-mailing revell,im sure they would send you a new piece , especially if you mentioned that it was a high profile build on the leading modelling website, bit of good free PR for them !!! cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I thought about smash moulding one as well but the best former you could have would be a sphere,to give you a hemispherical dome, unless you are a good wood carver! I think Tony's suggestion is the way to go. Try and get a replacement from Revell.

Cheers

Steve

J

JFJ

\ said:
hi adrian, you could try plunge moulding a piece using clear acetate and a male former but without the original piece to refer to it might be difficult, have you tried e-mailing revell,im sure they would send you a new piece , especially if you mentioned that it was a high profile build on the leading modelling website, bit of good free PR for them !!! cheers tony
Alright Tony I'll try that. Though they would be a little surprised if a boy of 12 emailed them asking for a new piece lol.

:laughing:

J

Julian Evan-Hart

Hi To everyone here...a fascinating thread. Im most curious at to whether He 177 A-3 coded 6N+AK was the final build of this project. The reason I ask is that I am an aviation archaeologist and have just excavated the remains of this particular aircraft in Essex. So would love to see what she looked like when complete. In addition to this I have wartime photographs of her crash site, which may be useful for her paint scheme, although thats quite well known from other 2/KG100 He 177 photos about.....I can be emailed on j.evenhart@ntlworld.com

Cheers Julian