Heinkel He 177 'Grief' under construction

J

JFJ

Thanks for that guys.

Richard, the picture links seem to be broken. Do you think you could PM me that pic or post it? Thanks :smiling3: Sorry for the inconvenience.

Adrian

B

Bunkerbarge

Sorry Adrian, I'm not getting the first picture of the second link either. I'll PM you the links though

J

JFJ

Thanks for the pics Richard.

Now for planning:

I will (most probably) be doing the 6N+AK. However, I'm changing the 'A' to 'C' as I have the decals for it. So its gonna be something like...maybe the same squadron?

Cheers,

Adrian

View attachment 27502

He-111_profile_KG-100.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Why not? Luftwaffe codes are not the easiest to understand but you are correct that the first letter after the balkenkreuz is the individual aircraft letter.

6N = KG100

A (or C) = individual aircraft letter

K = 2nd Staffel

The second Staffel always belongs to I Gruppe and it's Staffel colour would be RED. Your individual aircraft letter should therefore also be RED

Is everyone confused?

Cheers

Steve

Forgot to say that a Staffel in this type of unit SHOULD have comprised 9-12 aircraft so why not a C.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JFJ

Hi Steve,

do you mean the "C" should be white?

If so, I have another decal for an "H"! Haha

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
No,I made a mistake ,sorry. The 2nd Staffel colour should be RED. I'm sorry for that.

I've been looking at the Luftwaffe for a long time so that'll teach me not to state things from memory!

I will edit the post above to prevent any further confusion.

Cheers

Steve

T

treyzx10r

Adrian looks like its going together nicely, how good are the parts fitting together on this kit?

Trey

J

JFJ

The fit is rather good, in fact no filler is needed at all (that's what I can say for the fuselage at least). Revell always produces top quality kits. So far I've never had any bad experiences with their kits so I'm impressed. :smiling3:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
The fit is rather good, in fact no filler is needed at all (that's what I can say for the fuselage at least). Revell always produces top quality kits. So far I've never had any bad experiences with their kits so I'm impressed. :smiling3:
Trust me Adrian,Revell release some awful kits as do most manufacturers! Slagging manufacturers is not useful or helpful but they are nearly all guilty of producing or releasing a few dogs and those I will name and shame whoever they come from. It's great that you've got a good'un there and I hope your winning streak continues.

Cheers

Steve

J

JFJ

Speaking of rotten kits,

I remember one really awful Tamiya kit-an Fw 190 D9 with no (none at all) cockpit detail. It was awfully cheap and I fell for the trap.

T

treyzx10r

Adrian ,got started on mine this weekend been shadowing your build hope you do'nt mind;).I've not decided which paint scheme yet have you made a choice for yours yet?

J

JFJ

Sorry for not posting for such a long time.

@Trey: I've still not made up my mind yet but I plan to do a nightfighter paint scheme using the references Richard gave. It is on page 3.

Anyone knows what colour the luftwaffe prop blades are? My references say gloss black but the instructions (as well as the piccies Richard gave) say matt black? Anyone has an idea?

I may follow this with a dio but I'm still thinking of what the use for the base...

Cheers,

Adrian

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'd be surprised if they were black at all. Metal blades should be RLM 71 (black green). Wooden blades may have been in RLM 71(dark green). There is some evidence of wooden blades being in a dark blue/grey colour,maybe RLM66,late in the war.

I'd do them RLM 71,I think they were metal. Here is a picture of a blade from an He177 with traces of original paint.

I wouldn't do it totally matt. The blades were well looked after,for obvious reasons,so slightly satin. If you do a Luftwaffe wooden blade they should be the shiny side of satin as they had a protective coat on them which did look a bit shiney.

Cheers

Steve

J

JFJ

Thanks Steve. Great to have you around

Sorry for the agonisingly slow progress guys. Kinda busy with school work lately and I can only afford to do modelling on weekends

Hope you understand :sad:

Adrian

T

treyzx10r

Adrian just a heads up I had a real time getting the tailgunner pod to fit(lots of filler)hopefuly its just a fluke and yours will fit better .Also the panel lines at the botttom do'nt line up and the left landing gear door opening inboard side had a defect in th mold that had to be trimmed away. Hope you have a better kit than the one I got.

Trey

J

JFJ

Hi Trey,

I do not have such problems with the kit. Although the panel lines on the wing do not line up

Adrian :smiling3:

T

treyzx10r

Adrian, looking good! I'm still fighting the fit issues but I'm not far behind.