Hello from California

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Howdy from an X-native Californian here......Born in L.A. suburbs, moved to Oregon as a grade schooler, back to S.F. Bay area after the Navy, stayed until I retired and never looked back, once I was snuggled into the Mission Mtn. Range in N.W. Montana. It's nice to see a little more participation in this forum from some of my "Yankee"/Colonial brethern, I look forward to seeing what you have to post up. :thumb2:

Strenko J

Faithful rabble apprentice
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Welcome Charles I too spent some years in the California coast down near Los Angeles and have now moved back to Western Pennsylvania. This forum is a wonderful source to not only enjoy the company of us fellow modelers but also offers a place to learn from some very skilled modelers and to sharpen your own skills. Enjoy and welcome

First Name
Charles
Okay, having perused the site to some degree I still can't figure out how to post in the diorama section. I am thinking that just signing up as a member doesn't allow you to do anything other than observe unless you become a supporter and pay? The small pop-up message box says (at least the way I read it) that paying eliminates the adverts? However, I guess it could be interpreted as paying allows you to participate, ie; post in threads other than the introductory thread. At any rate, (call me stupid?) I can't find a clear explanation. Please enlighten me.

Cheers,
C.

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Welcome Charles. We're a friendly bunch here and lots of fun.

Feel free to ask any questions if you need to. In my year here I've found people so helpful and knowledgeable. I've certainly picked up lots of tips here

Mike

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Charles welcome .
If you intend to stay then join the forum as a member well worth the cost .

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Welcome Charles.
The initial outlay is not so bad when you consider that us early members had to donate a quart of blood, pay homage to the moderator god and swore to toally defend the virtue of old grannies....
Having said that - this is a great forum where you can learn, unlike some other forums where the attitude appears to be how fast you can glue the latest offering together and repeat the mantra "Duh! I glued this part to this part, like...Duh!"
So jump in the deep end and join in.
Mike.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Welcome Charles.
The initial outlay is not so bad when you consider that us early members had to donate a quart of blood, pay homage to the moderator god and swore to toally defend the virtue of old grannies....
Having said that - this is a great forum where you can learn, unlike some other forums where the attitude appears to be how fast you can glue the latest offering together and repeat the mantra "Duh! I glued this part to this part, like...Duh!"
So jump in the deep end and join in.
Mike.
Totally agree with every word you've written, being one of the old Military Modelling 'crew' that jumped ship when the site shut down, I received nothing but a warm and friendly welcome when I dipped my toe in the waters here, this is the only site I frequent nowadays, simply because you can ask a realy bone question and somebody will give you a non sarcastic answer and offer help every time...

Over the years I've been a member of various modelling site only to find that they seem to be run by a 'clique' who have nothing but contempt for anybody who isn't up to the 'supposed' masterclass skill level that they seem to think they have, and because of that seem to treat newer members with nothing but insulting or derogatory comments when you post your latest build..

you get none of that on here.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Totally agree with every word you've written, being one of the old Military Modelling 'crew' that jumped ship when the site shut down, I received nothing but a warm and friendly welcome when I dipped my toe in the waters here, this is the only site I frequent nowadays, simply because you can ask a realy bone question and somebody will give you a non sarcastic answer and offer help every time...

Over the years I've been a member of various modelling site only to find that they seem to be run by a 'clique' who have nothing but contempt for anybody who isn't up to the 'supposed' masterclass skill level that they seem to think they have, and because of that seem to treat newer members with nothing but insulting or derogatory comments when you post your latest build..

you get none of that on here.
VERY WELL Said Chris an very true as im still on a forum but dont go there much as some of them are as you say in a clique an they had a go at my tiger as one guy was sayin that id built it all wrong an that the front bidge S/S was to far forward an i ansewerd him by sayin have you built a big build an he jumps in quick to say yes i have at 54 inches long an out of carboard as i said will it sail an he says no its a static but i shant say what i called him as not polite enough for this forum an i only hope an pray he dont come on here as i would leave quick
CHRISB

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
VERY WELL Said Chris an very true as im still on a forum but dont go there much as some of them are as you say in a clique an they had a go at my tiger as one guy was sayin that id built it all wrong an that the front bidge S/S was to far forward an i ansewerd him by sayin have you built a big build an he jumps in quick to say yes i have at 54 inches long an out of carboard as i said will it sail an he says no its a static but i shant say what i called him as not polite enough for this forum an i only hope an pray he dont come on here as i would leave quick
CHRISB
If that's the type of guy he is Chris,he wouldn't stay 5 minutes on here! ;)

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
If that's the type of guy he is Chris,he wouldn't stay 5 minutes on here! ;)
Yep, totally aware of 'those kind of Armchair Generals', I once got into a huge dispute/ argument with a guy once over whether or not the 'Rifle 5.56 /L85a1 (SA-80)' could be used for a sustained period on full automatic...
his reply was based around the fact that according to him the rifle would jam and you'd have a 'stoppage' after putting three magazines through it, he attempted to get all 'superior' over the supposed knowledge he had and wouldn't take anybody else's replies or opinions right up till the point that I told him I used to be a skill at arms trained weapons instructor and I'd actually had live experience of firing the 'rifle' in a sustained fire role, for quite a long period of time..(good old days at the infantry school of training in Brecon).. he shut up rather quickly after that...

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I have four rifles chambered in 5.56 cal. Three are semi automatic,. Over the years have had only one stoppage and that was in the early Colt AR with no forward assist. Excellent round for varmints...all kinds.;)

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
CHRISB
No need for that Chris, his type aren't welcome here and they know it. Reminds me of the guy we had in the "other place " who up set Peter day when he said painting figures wasn't modelling. Some of us will remember his name i'm sure. He would come on late at night normally pi***d and hurl abuse. Thank goodness he didn't follow the rest of us.