Hello from Warrington

Crispier

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
OK, I'll try another language!!!!;) Surface or submarines???

Oh and the obligatory hack-spit!!! Someone had to say it!!
I failed my submariners, so skimmer, HMS Hermes, Ark Royal, Illustrious and Avenger.... D202746u...... Im feeling very nostaglic now, as well as old,

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I failed my submariners, so skimmer, HMS Hermes, Ark Royal, Illustrious and Avenger.... D202746u...... Im feeling very nostaglic now, as well as old,
I'll raise your old and say D104!!!! Bet ya don't feel so old now!! Albion (1970), Tartar x 2, Ashanti, Scylla, Euryalus!! Squadrons, 771/772/703/829/737/706/819/829/819 That was enough for me!!!

Crispier

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
I'll raise your old and say D104!!!! Bet ya don't feel so old now!! Albion (1970), Tartar x 2, Ashanti, Scylla, Euryalus!! Squadrons, 771/772/703/829/737/706/819/829/819 That was enough for me!!!
Holy moly! The Ashanti was an old traning ship! It had the old fashioned comms tube thingies. Im a veritable youngster in comparion! :smiling2:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Holy moly! The Ashanti was an old traning ship! It had the old fashioned comms tube thingies. Im a veritable youngster in comparion! :smiling2:
I was on the Ashanti when she was rendered 'knackered'. (Transferred into reserve fleet). Prop shaft tore one of the shaft bearing out after a AMP in Gib. Put down to poor maintenance of the bearing. As the ship was single shaft and was pretty long in the tooth then, (Late 70's). It was decided to end her operational life. Was my first ship as a baby aircrewman. We transferred onto the Tartar in Portsmouth, usual routine, 48 hours to transfer then a short BOST at Portland before deploying!!!
All part of the fun!! :thumb2: :smiling5:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
A warm welcome from me too Chris..

Any chance you folks can write in good old British A.B.C., instead of some sort of strange foreign johnny code? :dizzy:;);)!

Muck in, have fun and enjoy your time on the forum - We do!

Ron

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
A warm welcome from me too Chris..

Any chance you folks can write in good old British A.B.C., instead of some sort of strange foreign johnny code? :dizzy:;);)!

Muck in, have fun and enjoy your time on the forum - We do!

Ron
Even if we put it in Ol'-fashioned English Ron would you completely understand it? :cool:
Steve

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Me too, Anson 18.
My elder brother was a Ganges boy in about '63 - his favourite cabby was a Daring class (Dundas I think) that took him to Australia on a replacement jolly after a carrier ran over a RAN destroyer!
Steve

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
My elder brother was a Ganges boy in about '63 - his favourite cabby was a Daring class (Dundas I think) that took him to Australia on a replacement jolly after a carrier ran over a RAN destroyer!
Steve
It was 67 for me. School friend was on Dundas when it was Portland Training Squadron in the early 70's.
The Aussie carrier must have been HMAS Melbourne. She had a habit of hitting ships or ships hitting them. She also hit a soviet vessel but it was the rooskies fault as it cut under the Melbournes bows!!!! (Opened a can of worms for the Soviets. We discovered she had dummy weapon systems, When one splintered!!!

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
All this matelot talk takes me back to starting at Porton in the early eighties. There were quite a few ex navy types there, including my first shift leader, who was one of the old boys from the immediate post war Navy. Sitting in the tea room you could sometimes only follow the broad outline of a conversation, the detail just eluded you…..
Some of the slang still sticks with me….wearing “Scapa Scanties” when it was cold, going to “Cruising stations” when there wasn’t much on, and the feared “Where do you think you are, on your fathers yacht” if you were caught skiving off…..
He also had a habit of nicknaming everything…..our boss had the initials AP, so he was known as armoured piercing, and our most used chemical was sodium hydroxide, which he called Noah because it’s chemical symbol was NaOH….very interesting guy.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Welcome to the forum Chris, looking forward to seeing your work,
oh!.. be sure to stop by Matron's office to get 'your shots', but if she offers you any of the funny green looking fluid..(more commonly known as russian 4BO).. run away... run away fast... ;)