Heng Long Tiger 1 rebuild

D

dm73

Evening Andy, not completely finished yet but its been put on the back burner as i've started the Jan group build. I'll stick up some photos of where i'm up to once i find my camera lol

S

Sky Raider

Thanks Darren, im looking forward to seeing your progress. I was hopeing you would finish before me. lol

Andy

D

dm73

Ah thats my cunning plan, i'll see how you finish yours and nick some of your ideas lol

S

Sky Raider

lol, i cant promise a masterpiece, this is my very first attempt at a Tank. I will ask a question if i may. How did you prep yours for Primer, did you wash it over and if so what with?

Thanks on advance Darren.

Andy

D

dm73

Same here, hadn't built a tank before this but seem to be acquiring new ones weekly lol, i prepped the tiger by rubbing it all over with a car bodywork scotch pad, they come in different grades but i used the finest they do (Halfords), gave the paint something to cling to but didn't leave deep scratches.

S

Sky Raider

Hi Darren,

Thanks for that, didnt you give it a wipe over with thinners as well. I do this with the bigger models because of oily finger marks?

Andy

D

dm73

No, i didn't even think about that bit :damn:, another tip learned. I do wear latex gloves most of the time anyway because i don't seem to be able to paint anything with out wearing most of it lol so that may have been my saving grace

S

Sky Raider

I have the gloves to but dont wear then until the paint stage also, it just the problem of the handleing in the process of carrying out the wear and tear. Ill give it a brush over with some spray gun cleaner first i think and then let it dry before primeing.

e

Cheers

Andy

D

dm73

Morning all, After reading my names going on spraymans list i thought i'd better get some progress pics up quick.

Finished the flag with a little more weathering and damage, the tow cables are finshed and weathered with pro modeller rust wash.

I'm not to happy with the original plastic one as the cable clamps do not line up to the ones on the hull, i'll get some after market ones once the cash flow is sorted.

The cable on the hull side was also cut up and the clamps just used, these need painting and weathering.

I am going to lash a tree trunk to this side as seen in a photo of a Tiger operating in Russia, it was used when the tank got bogged down, thought this would be a nice addition.

Lots of little bits and bobs to do but i'll get there soon, enough waffling heres some pics.View attachment 24173View attachment 24174View attachment 24175View attachment 24176

View attachment 30688

View attachment 30689

View attachment 30690

View attachment 30691

IMG_0353.jpg

IMG_0354.jpg

IMG_0356.jpg

IMG_0355.jpg

S

sprayman

Lol Darren, this is a mighty fine build and paint job, I like the idea of a tree trunk, I take it,it will be a trip to the woods then for a nice looking log, this is looking the business.....superb Tiger Darren...:xyxthumbs:

B

Bunkerbarge

Strapping logs to the sides of Tigers was quite common, particularly appartently in one particular battallion which I can't remember without looking it up, and they look great when added to the sides of a model. Could have been the 504 but don't quote me on that.

I have a mid production and have identified a particular tank that I want to model mine on, which will include a couple of logs on the sides.

T

Tony161

I'm now the lucky owner of darrens tiger and it is well made painted.All my mates want 1 lol Darren what can I say masterpiece thank you

D

dm73

Glad your happy with it Tony, was sad to see it go but with the house move soon i thought it better to sell than risk it being destroyed on its long journey.

Cheers

Darren

S

Sky Raider

Didnt know you sold this one Darren. Im thinking of selling mine to. All that hard work but it is just sitting there, never used.

Andy

D

dm73

I'm afraid so Andy, it was great fun to build but i could see it getting wrecked in the move, had to clear out most of my stuff, still got the half finished A-10 to sort out but with lack of time and the move looming it may end up in the bin :emo2: