Heng Long Tiger 1 rebuild

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
WOW!! Looks like i've got my work cut out for me Darren lol, great job on the camo mate. Now i just need to make a start on mine and see if i can get it up to this standard.

Have fun, John

D

dm73

Cheers John and Paul, glad your enjoying the build. I must admit that i'd like to have more cash to spend on metal extras but they can always be added on at a later date. Will be good to see what your take on this beastie is going to look like.

Thanks for the ideas Richard, food for thought. Agree with you about the material not looking to scale so will stick with the foil i think, any other advice is gratefully received.

S

Sky Raider

Looking great Darren. I will be starting mine very shortly. Keep up the good work.

Andy

D

dm73

Come on Andy, stop teasing us with Sherman piccys and start chopping that kitty cat about, if the work on your planes is to go by its going to be awesome.

S

Sky Raider

Lol Darren, you make me laugh mate. Im treading carefully here, im now moving very close to the realms of you guys and a lot of you have more years of experience under your belts than i do. I dont want to make a big hash of it and the longer i put it off the less chance i have of looking a plonka haha. After all, i have only every built 2 models.

Andy

D

dm73

Andy, i've only built two before this, a spitfire for the non gb and a lcvp that i co**ed up because the resin froze while setting in my shed, so your way in front of me, will be learning together on these beauties. Still look at a lot of the pieces on this site and am awestruck at the quality of work and hope to get there one day.

S

Sky Raider

I will start on my tiger tomorrow, i will be following yout thread to dismantle her. Im still a little iffy about using an airbursh though.

Andy

S

Sky Raider

Well its out of the box and on the work bench, soon be hacking away at it with the Dremel lol.

Andy

D

dm73

Lots of pictures please Andy, are you keeping it as early model or converting it to a later one?

S

Sky Raider

Hi Darren, pics tomorrow, forgot to take my camera into the work shop. I have had the dremel going and the flat blade chisle, scarey stuff mate. I dont really know what im doing here so i think ill stick to the early model. I did buy the cuplar for it from tank zone but it looks a lot different to the one that is already on the tank, all the other hatches i brought look identical. Just a quick question. The driver and front gunner hatches that you fitted... how did you secure the hinges underneath? did you possibly use epoxy resin 5 min or something else.

D

dm73

Evening Andy, is the cupolar you bought for a later tiger, the hatch swings out horizontally to the side? The drive and gunner hatches had locating pegs on the underside of the upper hull so a dab of superglue was enough to hold them. I know what you mean about being scary, was unsure when i started making holes in the hull but it all comes good in the end.

S

Sky Raider

Yes Darren that the cupolar you are describing, i dont think it looks as good as the one already fitted. I got all my stuff from Welsh Dragons and not Tank Zone as i previously mentioned, sorry my mistake.

Can i ask, what filler do you use, it looks very fine and very good, also what did you use to get such a good level finish?

Cheers

Andy

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Darren

Have you ordered anything through Tank Zone yet? I've been trying to contact them and they seem a bit flaky - could be just Xmas holiday backlog but I'm getting no replies.

Any info would be good - also tried to order from Wecohe in Germany but they're just as bad. I'm after the metal late Tiger 1 wheels and the suspension upgrade.

Cheers

Paul

D

dm73

Morning Paul, haven't tried Tankzone yet, i've always used Welsh Dragons and have been very impressed with their service so will stick with them in the future when i decide to upgrade further.

Andy, used a small flexible chisel looking blade in my craft knife then when down about level with the base, rubbed down with 240 wet and dry then 800 using a small wooden block if space allowed.

I'll get in the shed tonight and have a look at the name of the filler, i bought it at the local Modelzone and is white but i can't remember the name.

D

dm73

Sorry Andy, only just got in the shed, the filler is squadron white putty, i've never used it before but very impressed

S

Sky Raider

I see, I have tried squarden white putty and i can confirm that it isnt a patch on the green. The green sands finer and it doesnt show through the primer when it is sprayed, I never use white now even though i still have a couple of tubes unopend.

Andy

D

dm73

Oh right, never heard of the stuff until i started modeling, they only had the white one on the shelf so didn't think anything more about it. Will have a look out for the green but the white will do me for now.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I'm Confused here. White squadron id the fine one and Green, er? not as fine to fine to call course anyway. I normally start with the green for larger gaps and dents, then after that move on to the white for the thinner 'repairs'. I must have a couple of fiffy tubes!

I must also confess that I've been using the Humbrol stuff quite a bit and that to is great once you get used to it. It Don't half dry quick! I often mix it thinner with liquid poly and use it like typo or tipex or what ever the heck you call it. (Kvejeblæk in Denmark = idiot ink. lol ).

Good to see you got going Andy.

Ian M

S

Sky Raider

Hi Ian,

Thanks, i thought it was about time i made a start. I have used the white on my large scale planes as you can see from the threads. I soon changed it though as the green is much better and sands easier to. You will see from the B25 and the P47 that all my panel lines are made by using the green. The P47 shows some in white, after i found that you couldnt smooth and fade it in as good as the green, i changed and have never move back.

Andy