HK Models 1/32 Do 335

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Phil, I think it was about 120 quid. I'd better not make a bollox of it!

Cheers

Dteve

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
Phil, I think it was about 120 quid. I'd better not make a bollox of it!
Cheers

Dteve
Blimey don't tell the misus!

I'm sure you won't mate.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've started to detail the front wheel well. I've a first coat of paint on most of the bits I intend to paint, obviously being an 'enamelist' it will be a while before the next coat goes on and I tidy everything up.

I am not striving for historical accuracy, I have gone for an aluminium wheel well rather than RLM 02* which actually makes the detail harder to do, so I've just tried to add a bit of interest.

Later I'll do some washes etc.

IMG_1530_zpsdqbxiy8z.jpg

Cheers

Steve

* Just my opinion. This was a late war prototype, built in late 1944, and unpainted wheel wells seems viable to me. I haven't found an image to show one way or the other. Of course someone will now produce a beautiful colour image to prove me wrong :smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Very nice detail on this kit Steve.

D

dubster72

\ said:
I've started to detail the front wheel well. I've a first coat of paint on most of the bits I intend to paint, obviously being an 'enamelist' it will be a while before the next coat goes on and I tidy everything up.
I am not striving for historical accuracy, I have gone for an aluminium wheel well rather than RLM 02* which actually makes the detail harder to do, so I've just tried to add a bit of interest.

Later I'll do some washes etc.

View attachment 147125

Cheers

Steve

* Just my opinion. This was a late war prototype, built in late 1944, and unpainted wheel wells seems viable to me. I haven't found an image to show one way or the other. Of course someone will now produce a beautiful colour image to prove me wrong :smiling3:
That looks good Steve, and most of the colour call-outs I've seen on late war Eduard kits offer aluminium as probable colour for wheel wells.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
That looks good Steve, and most of the colour call-outs I've seen on late war Eduard kits offer aluminium as probable colour for wheel wells.
It definitely depends on the manufacturer and the type. Like most things Luftwaffe, late war particularly, there are rarely cut 'n' dried answers. A lot of people seem to do Do 335s with RLM 02 wells etc, which is fine by me.

The problem detailing is that I've spent a long time with the magnifiers on, painting some pipe work in a matt aluminium, and in the photograph it looks no different to the background Alclad. To the naked eye there is a visible difference, but it's minimal. Obviously over an RLM 02 background those pipes would really pop out when painted aluminium.

It's another one of those 'when the models on the shelf, I will know it's there' things :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The first (rear) engine has now been sprayed black.

IMG_1531_zpsrbkfnzcx.jpg

There is a strange light in the sky here in Brum which makes it look a lot greyer than it is.

That will be dry for detailing tomorrow and in the meantime I will make a start on the second (front) engine. The Do 335 had a tricycle undercarriage and anyone who has built an aircraft model with this landing gear configuration will be aware of the dangers of tail sitting. The Do 335 was nick named 'ant eater' which gives an idea of how little room there is up front for weighting. HK models have come up with a very neat solution. Two weights, one of which is shaped to fit inside the front engine, and another smaller one which fits under the cannon bay.

Here's how it works in the front engine.

IMG_1533_zpsjrpo8uj8.jpg

Very nice!

Cheers

Steve

F

Fenlander

Great solution to the nose weight issue, wish more manufacturers would think like this. Going to be a stunning build Steve.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Great solution to the nose weight issue, wish more manufacturers would think like this.
It's a great solution. This is not a cheap kit, but it is fairly new, seems very nicely engineered (so far) and looks fairly accurate. You get what you pay for I suppose.

BTW my time and motion study shows that you can build one of these engines in a little over two and a half hours if you don't hang about and limit your intake of tea.

This is the front (and weighted) engine primed for painting tomorrow.

IMG_1536_zpske3jneju.jpg

Cheers

Steve

F

Fenlander

Limit your intake of tea???? What is it with time and motion studies that always hits the intake of tea :D

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Limit your intake of tea???? What is it with time and motion studies that always hits the intake of tea :D
Only one cuppa allowed, and that whilst I had to wait for some bits to dry :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great looking engines Steve. That's rather ingenious having the ballast inside the engine halves.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
This morning I've had a chance to continue detailing the engines. I've also approached this area, as seen on the real thing.

b4_zpsl7oazg7f.jpg

The area behind the instrument panel is very visible. I've attached the instrument decals and their backing to the back of the instrument panel, the dials show up nicely from the front.

IMG_1538_zps1rupbywm.jpg

The instrument panel fits with another piece on which there was some molded wiring. It was impossible to paint nicely, so I sanded it off and applied some real wiring, painted a suitable colour. I also added a plasticard backing to the instrument panel to which I will eventually attach dial backs and some wiring. At the moment the two parts look like this.

IMG_1540_zpsvrxgc1hh.jpg

Now I just need to cut and drill a load of dial backs from some suitable rod and/or sprue !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Steve

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
The first (rear) engine has now been sprayed black.
View attachment 147134

There is a strange light in the sky here in Brum which makes it look a lot greyer than it is.

That will be dry for detailing tomorrow and in the meantime I will make a start on the second (front) engine. The Do 335 had a tricycle undercarriage and anyone who has built an aircraft model with this landing gear configuration will be aware of the dangers of tail sitting. The Do 335 was nick named 'ant eater' which gives an idea of how little room there is up front for weighting. HK models have come up with a very neat solution. Two weights, one of which is shaped to fit inside the front engine, and another smaller one which fits under the cannon bay.

Here's how it works in the front engine.

View attachment 147135

Very nice!

Cheers

Steve
Tamiya do a similar thing with there 1/48 version but it's just a round cylinder that fits into the front engine.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've got that area looking suitably busy (might need a bit of touching up now I've seen the photo!).

IMG_1548_zpsnot14qjm.jpg

Moving on to the engines now as I fancy working on something a bit bigger than a pound coin :smiling3: They are basically painted and just need a bit more detail and some suitable weathering.

IMG_1550_zpswnegcvyz.jpg

Cheers

Steve