HMS King George V - 1/350 Tamiya

P

Polux

Wow! Nice one ;)

You have many complements there Derek !!:eek:

Can I ask if these kind of kits are good...well, high standard quality? Or you need complements for a nice result...? O_o

C

Caledonia

Hi Polux, It depends on the manufacturer, HMS Roberts was an OOB construction, if you are thinking of doing a 1/350 Ship I would highly recommend HMS Roberts, it contains everything you need, and since it has a steel deck, no need for the wooden one. On the other hand, HMS King George V is an older kit, but a good kit. However you do not get handrails, and the Cranes are rather poor injection mouldings etc. etc., as you can see I have been using my pocket money over the last few months so that I do the old lady justice.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Derek

G

Graham D

Will be watching this. Is it my imagination or does the bridge look like the one on the Warspite?

C

Caledonia

Thanks for your interest Lads, not an expert on Battleships Graham so can't help, sorry. Just a note to say that I have added this to my purchases, will use this chain for the Anchor Stoppers. Hope to make a start on the kit the end of September. DerekView attachment 87612

K15.jpg

C

Caledonia

Help please, looking at photos of the bow of KGV there are two chains each side which I understand goes down to the Skeg at the bow and is used to deploy Paravanes. Have googled for hours but cannot find a drawing or photo of the deck arrangement terminations for these chains. Any help would be much appreciated. Derek

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I am not well enough up on the bits to know if it shows what you need, but there are some good stills of the bow of HMS King George V in 1945 on the British Pathe website. http://www.britishpathe.com/video/stills/hms-king-george-v

C

Caledonia

View attachment 89932

Thanks Dave, I appreciate your efforts, all the photos I have found are either too far away or out of focus, but having trawled the Internet for many more hours, I think I have a grasp of how the Paravane deployment system worked, all I need to do is to show it stowed, see the two lines of small chains amid ships in the photo attached running from the bow. Thanks again for your efforts. Derek

image.jpg

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Not a problem Derek, it is one of those sites I browse periodically and I remembered seeing the KGV clip recently.

C

Caledonia

Finally managed some time to get started. The hull is a complete single moulding and the deck comes in three sections.

View attachment 90025

Have drilled out the 3mm and 1.2mm holes and removed the moulded anchor chain. Also removed all the moulded on Winches as the wooden deck kit comes with PE winches.

View attachment 90026

Added some scrap 1 x 2mm evergreen to act as a shear key to assist deck alignment.

View attachment 90027

Fitted the deck with Mr Cement.

View attachment 90028

Plan to add the Paravane equipment to the kit, so purchased some 41 links/inch chain. It looks a but too heavy, but that's as small as I could find, so will have to stick with it. Have added a couple of shots the KGV bow skeg plate where you can see the holes for the chain, and an actual photo of the chain.

View attachment 90029

View attachment 90030

Cheers Derek

View attachment 90031

B001.jpg

B002.jpg

B003.jpg

B004.jpg

B005.jpg

B006.jpg

B007.jpg

C

Caledonia

Forgot to mention that the middle deck section was a bit too wide so had to trim it slightly to improve the fit. There was only three small areas to be filled between the deck and hull, two where Tamiya had moulded recessed for a location spigot, the recesses were a little too deep and penetrated the deck at the edge. Also the bow section of the deck was slightly too short, so had to fill it in, see first photo below.

View attachment 90426

This week I have been plastic bashing, making up all the deck levels as you can see in the photo below.

View attachment 90427

The remainder of the photos show a dry fit of all the deck levels. Filled in several slots where PE will be used in place of the kit components. Will be carrying on with this work until all of the components are dry fitted.

View attachment 90428

View attachment 90429

View attachment 90430

Derek

B008.jpg

B009.jpg

B010.jpg

B011.jpg

B012.jpg

C

Caledonia

This week made a start on the 5.25" guns. Looking at the kit barrels compared to the brass ones I bought; with hind sight I would have stuck to the kit ones.

View attachment 90989

Anyway, I cut off the barrels, drilled 0.6mm dia. holes and CA glued on the Barrels with the ZAP CA glue, this glue seems to have a stronger bond with plastic than most CA glues and it is highly penetrating.

View attachment 90990

Made up the funnel structure, have still to do the funnel caps. Most models I have seen either just use the kit cap, or hollow out the cap and fit the brass after market ones. I plan to shave off the plastic flush with the cap ring so that some funnel internal detail is left and then fit the brass ones.

View attachment 90991

To me the kit moulded doors and Ladders are perfectly adequate, so rather than replace them with the brass ones, I am going to use the after market brass doors and ladder to enhance the kit.

View attachment 90992

View attachment 90993

View attachment 90994

The last two photos shows one of the 5.25" guns enhanced as an example, only 7 more to go.

View attachment 90996

View attachment 90997

So far everything is still dry fitted.

Cheers Derek

B13.jpg

B14.jpg

B15.jpg

B16.jpg

B17.jpg

B18.jpg

B19.jpg

B20.jpg

G

Graham D

Looking good. I think the metal barrels, when painted, do look better than the plastic ones

S

steve scan

Excellent stuff the King George v class are one of my favourite classes shame about the main gun problems, looking forward to seeing this done.

G

Graham D

Derek, I've tried the oerlikons from Master, and found them very fiddlely. I ended up using the plastic guns, with the metal blast shields and the brass bases. On their web site are detailed instructions to making these little guns

http://master-model.pl/images/stories/oerlikon_manual.pdf

C

Caledonia

Thanks for your comments Lads. Thanks Graham, Master have a video on their website as well. Looking at some better quality photos I found on the internet, it looks as if the kit 20mm Oerlikons are more accurate so I will probably stick to that and add the Gold Medal PE. Cheers Derek

C

Caledonia

This week have finished assembly of the 8 off 5.25" Guns, also the additions of the ladders and door on the housings (not part of the kit; came from the Gold Medal PE set.)

View attachment 91390

View attachment 91391

Cut off and replaced the barrels of the main 14" Guns and fitted them to the turrets.

View attachment 91392

View attachment 91393

View attachment 91394

The 20mm Oerlikons in the kit only come with the shield, so have used the Gold Medal PE to add brass shield, gun sights, shoulder rests and wheel. One down 25 more to go.

View attachment 91395

View attachment 91396

View attachment 91397

For ease of handing have kept the Oerlikons on their sprues and used blue tack to secure them to some scrap cardboard.

Derek

B21.jpg

B22.jpg

B23.jpg

B24.jpg

B25.jpg

B26.jpg

B27.jpg

B28.jpg