HMS King George V - 1/350 Tamiya

G

Graham D

Looking good, the oerlikons with the photo etch make all the difference to the model

J

John Huggins

Looking well cool Derek, love the PE bits & the guns look the bizz.

John

C

Caledonia

A real brain numbing week.

Finished the other 7 off 2 pounder guns. Cut off cleaned up and added scrap evergreen to represent the ammunition boxes on the 18 off Oerlikon Tubs.

View attachment 92529

Next I made up the 4 off 5.25" Gun Range Finders, I find it easier to glue the Dipoles to the plastic before mounting the remainder of the antenna.

Made up the 2 off 40mm Quad Bofors.

View attachment 92530

View attachment 92531

Next mind bender are the 7 off Type 282 Fire Control Radar, which I have just started.

View attachment 92532

Hope the excitement hasn't got to you too badly. Derek

B034.jpg

B035.jpg

B036.jpg

B037.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Got to admire your perseverance with all this PE Derek, but it's all going to look great when done.

C

Caledonia

This week I finished the remaining 7 off Type 282 Fire Control Radar and fitted them to the KGV as I don't think them will be too much of an obstruction during painting. Also finished the Aft Fire Control Director.

View attachment 92869

View attachment 92870

I took a gamble and ordered some time ago the PE set for the POW Ships boats hoping that they would fit the KGV. They do, but it would appear that the POW has 11 boats compared to KGV's 15. So I am working on what I have and will either leave off the other 4 or use them as is provided the difference is not too stark. Will decide later.

View attachment 92872

Have shown some photos below of the Admiral's barge as supplied with the kit, the PE parts and with the PE fitted.

View attachment 92873

View attachment 92874

View attachment 92875

Some of the boats have rudders and propellers, for me they are just too small, so I am leaving them off.

The last photo shows 8 of the boats finished, 3 more to go.

View attachment 92876

View attachment 92871

B038.jpg

B039.jpg

B040.jpg

B041.jpg

B042.jpg

B043.jpg

B044.jpg

B045.jpg

C

Caledonia

This week I finished off the small boats, will paint the ones mentioned earlier which has no PE, and decide if I want to fit them later. There are paddles to fit but I am leaving them on the sheet of PE for painting before removing them.

View attachment 93325

For the Funnel Caps, as mentioned earlier rather than either leave them or hollow them out, I trimmed the internal baffles flush with the rim and fitted the brass PE.

View attachment 93326

View attachment 93327

Next I tackled the two Cranes, I have included a shot of the plastic Jib for comparison. The Gold Medal PE is almost worth buying for the Crane Jib alone, Tamiya has let the model down badly with this detail.

View attachment 93328

View attachment 93329

I have used the PE luffing gear rigging on the Jib rather than try to rig it myself, but this means cutting two thin slots on the winch drum, for this I used a PE fine saw, see photo.

View attachment 93330

View attachment 93331

View attachment 93332

View attachment 93333

Finally received the North Star Portholes, will be adding these to the superstructure and Hull later on.

View attachment 93334

View attachment 93335

Starting on the masts now. Derek

B046.jpg

B047.jpg

B048.jpg

B049.jpg

B050.jpg

B051.jpg

B052.jpg

B053.jpg

B054.jpg

B055.jpg

B056.jpg

Last edited:
G

Graham D

The cranes look really good. I have just ordered some Tom's modelworks portholes for my Bismarck, as the Tamiya kit is lacking in this and many other details

C

Caledonia

\ said:
The cranes look really good. I have just ordered some Tom's modelworks portholes for my Bismarck, as the Tamiya kit is lacking in this and many other details
Hi Graham, Can you tell me where you get your Tom's Modelworks from please. Cheers Derek

C

Caledonia

Posting a little early this week as SHMBO has reminded me it's Christmas, and my annual visit/pilgramage to the shops is scheduled for tomorrow, so I am told.

This week I have been concentrating on the Masts, which has been enhanced with P.E. Yardarms. Each Yardarm has two eyelets on top which are a little undersized, so have drilled these out to 0.3mm dia., checked also that all the other holes were 0.3mm, as gluing the doublers was a messy business. I put a spot of CA Gel at each end of each doubler, when secure I used the ZAP thin CA Glue's capillary action for the final bond between surfaces. I assembled the Tripod section of the mast in-situ, in order to make sure the feet were correctly positioned.

View attachment 93680

View attachment 93681

View attachment 93682

View attachment 93683

I found a good photo of the Bow of KGV which shows the bollards for the Paravane chains: as the kit provided spare small bollards, I used two and split them in half and rotated one half so the 'horns' were pointing fwd. as the KGV photo below.

Made up a few other bits and pieces, not worth photographing.

View attachment 93684

View attachment 93685

View attachment 93686

This ends the manufacture of the main components. I am now going to go over all of the superstructure, tidying it up, checking fits, adding portholes and handrails etc. so my next posting will be when this is finished.

I will then do the same to the Hull/Deck, which needs tidying up; portholes added and I am going to risk fitting the deck handrails before fitting the wooden deck so that I can make the paint job as tidy as possible around the deck handrails, a bit of a gamble I know. Derek

B57.jpg

B58.jpg

B60.jpg

B61.jpg

KGV%20Bow.jpg

B62.jpg

B63.jpg

C

Caledonia

This week have been spent fitting the portholes to the superstructure. The first photo shows the tools I used. The second and third photos show the cement splatter after fixing the viewports and after cleaning up with the fibre glass eraser. The fourth picture shows the comparison with no portholes and with portholes.

View attachment 94290

View attachment 94291

View attachment 94292

View attachment 94293

As mentioned previously I removed the hanger doors and fitted a sheet of 0.5mm tk. Evergreen. As this looked pretty bland I added some portholes and doors. I also did this to the other end of the new boat deck bulkhead. I read somewhere that the underside of the boat deck was made into accommodation so added a door and some portholes.

View attachment 94294

View attachment 94295

View attachment 94296

View attachment 94297

Whilst the Gold Medal PE is excellent quality, the instructions are very poor, there is no guidance as to where ladders go, and the handrail instructions leave a lot to the imagination. Consequently I have spend a good deal of time Googling to find photos.

When trying to curve the handrails the best and simplest method I use is to lay the handrail on top of an eraser and use the shaft of say a pen or screwdriver. Apply gentle pressure and begin the rolling action.

View attachment 94298

View attachment 94299

The remainder of the photos show the progress so far with the ladder and handrail PE, lots more to go.

View attachment 94300

View attachment 94301

View attachment 94302

View attachment 94303

View attachment 94304

Thanks for viewing Derek

B064.jpg

B065.jpg

B066.jpg

B067.jpg

B068.jpg

B069.jpg