Ho229B Nachtjager 1/48 DML

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Trey

This Horten looks very, very cool. It is a fabulous looking aircraft and I'm really looking forward seeing this futuristic WW2 aircraft model finished. You've got the fit problems licked and the build looks very neat indeed. The paint scheme offers lots of possibilities and is sure to be a real show stopper.

Great stuff

Paul

T

treyzx10r

Tony thank you for the kind words ! Steve thanks as well,was unaware of the problem with the steering and the 'Drag rudders' quite fascinating. Looking back at the early flying wings built here in the states I've notied almost all have some small vertical fins at the rear ,so not really a 'true' hard core flying wing in the purist respect of the definition. Patrick thank you, it does have some fit issues,but do'nt let that drive you away from it. Thanks Paul still scratching my head about the scheme,but I'm going to have to decide soon. Ian thanks,not a very good update I'm afraid.

Well was actually quite pleased with how the build was going ,that must have been what brought the Gremlins! Actually I've noone to blame but myself. Too much pressure on the Canopy after glueing caused some fine stress fractures and a very fine crack all the way up to the seam.

Bad news there is'nt a aftermarket vacum Canopy available for the B version only the A,good news is a fellow modeller here stateside has volunteered to custom vac me a new one . So while I await the new Canopy I'll tackle the gear and missiles.

cheers Trey

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Good work so far Trey. A very intersting subject, look forward to more updates soon.

Z

Ziper_it

Sorry for the issue on the canopy, but model is coming along very well.

Looking for more.

Francesco

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Hope you get the replacement canopy soon Trey, it's looking good so far.

P

Polux

Those missiles look like a "tiny planes squadron" attacking your build Trey!!! :smiling3:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That picture looks retouched but I think it is genuine. It is not an Ho 229 but rather the H Vc. What you can't see very easily in the picture is the two pusher propellers driven by two Hirth HM 60Rs producing a mere 79 hp each.

This was one of several experimental aircraft, sometimes described as 'motor gliders', used by the Hortens to demonstrate the feasibility and practicality of the flying wing design.

This aircraft first flew in May 1942, so the time period is sometime after that.

It was more modestly sized than future projects.

This is another in flight picture, probably taken on the same flight as that posted by Gregg. It's a perfectly reasonable reference for the position of the Balkenkreuz. Also notice that there are no swastikas.

Cheers

Steve

T

treyzx10r

Dave ,Polux , Colin thanks! Gregg thanks for the pic thats great. Steve thanks for the additional pics ,so no Swastikas on my 229 will be just fine.

Taking some liberties with the missile paint schemes,and why not its a Luft 46 subject .

Thinking about doing a Purple and blue splinter similar to that on the ww1 Gotha bomber as kinda of a tie into the Gotha plant ,what do you all think?

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Awesome cruise missiles Trey. Did you paint those shark mouths and skulls? I think that scheme would make a nice tribute to the First World War scheme.

D

dubster72

Those missiles are great Trey! How about the lozenge camo pattern? It'll only take a bit of masking ... ;)

T

treyzx10r

Joe thanks ,the red on the mouth and the black grim reaper are decals. The white skulls are partial decal and some paint everything else was painted.

Patrick thanks not sure if I'm up for a lozenge job ,my head hurts just thinking about it.

Really leaning toward the purple/blue splinter I think it would still be 'Nachtjager' friendly and yet be unique

there are some really sharp pics of it on their site here

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/productdetail?productid=3006&cat=5

T

treyzx10r

After looking at the Fug 218 Neptune system that the kit supplies I decided that would'nt do. Following Luft 46 logic my geuss would be the cleaner and more aerodynamic Fug 240 would fit the bill nicely. I set about scrounging through the spares bin and found a decent donor drop tank. My idea was to not just plop it on the nose and mess up the clean lines and in theory the airflow to the intakes but rather tuck it up under a bit and blend it in,hope you all approve and please feel free to chime in with some opinions/debates about the late war radar and if this woudl've actually been plausible.

cheers Trey

D

dubster72

It's an ingenious idea Trey, but my first thought was that it's quite ugly! I'll defer to the opinion of the more experienced guys, but how about wingtip mounted radar in streamlined fairings?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm sure they'd have fitted the latest centimetric AI radar to such an advanced night fighter so the FuG 240 (or even 244 which might be stretching even luft '46 a bit) has got to be a good option.

I don't think wing tip fairings are an option for what was quite a large and heavy installation. The dish had a 70cm diameter I think.

Cheers

Steve