"Horror Of Falaise"

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
\ said:
Should be good Jim. Bit too brutal for my tastes, but it was a terrible few weeks during the German Army retreat from Normandy.
Roger is correct. The words were quoted by 'Bomber' Harris in response to the London Blitz of 1940....Way before Operation Overlord or it's aftermath.
Details-details:oops: was meant as a general statement, though I was mistaken about the author, as far as too brutal, I don't think so, after all how gruesome do you think lil ole me could make them?o_O I guess animal lovers aren't going to like it much either:rolleyes: In my own silly way I try to pay homage to those who fought, suffered and died in mankind's awful wars and excluding the worst of their sufferings for esthetic reasons imo doesn't ring righto_O...................Jim:smiling3:

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
\ said:
A real challenge!!
You will add the Panther and the Sherman on the dio?
Have a J-Panther but don't know if I'll use it or not but as far as the Sherman I don't think my base is big enough, I have one foot out the door and the other on a banana peel with my dios so please don't encourage me:D...............Jim:smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I wasn't getting at you or what you call details Jim, It doesn't bother me either way ....I was just pointing out Roger was correct.

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
\ said:
I wasn't getting at you or what you call details Jim, It doesn't bother me either way ....I was just pointing out Roger was correct.
Don't take me wrong Ron, old crust you know, All in good fun:smiling3:

L

Laurie

\ said:
Roger is correct. The words were quoted by 'Bomber' Harris in response to the London Blitz of 1940....Way before Operation Overlord or it's aftermath.
I must be thick Ron as I just do not understandee zee abovee. :smiling3: Does this mean I was wrong :eek:

Laurie

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
I must be thick Ron as I just do not understandee zee abovee. :smiling3: Does this mean I was wrong :eek:
Laurie
I must have misinterpreted your initial post. I read it as though you were writing that Rodger was incorrect.......

L

Laurie

\ said:
I must have misinterpreted your initial post. I read it as though you were writing that Rodger was incorrect.......
\ said:
Should be good Jim. Bit too brutal for my tastes, but it was a terrible few weeks during the German Army retreat from Normandy.
Apologies Ron also to Roger. Made an assumption without reading the original text Roger replied to.

Mistakenly thought Roger's reply indicated that Bomber Command had been involved in the massacre

of Falaise. :oops:

Went through Falaise in the early seventies. We came across it in a journey and it just took me by

surprise. A pretty little town now fully recovered at least physically. There would be plenty of the

towns people at that time who would remember the absolute carnage.

How you portray the devastation Jim I do not know. Dead and injured Germans and French people lying

about the place. Homes destroyed. The French towns people their world torn apart mentally and physically.

The stench of dead bloated horses and humans. Cows screaming in the adjoining fields unmilked. Allied

medics and soldiers sorting the dead or alive. Soldiers removing and burying the dead animals. All in this

beautiful Normandy countryside.

A little snippett. William the Conqueror, of Britain, was born in Falaise Castle.

Laurie

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
\ said:
Apologies Ron also to Roger. Made an assumption without reading the original text Roger replied to.
Mistakenly thought Roger's reply indicated that Bomber Command had been involved in the massacre

of Falaise. :oops:

Went through Falaise in the early seventies. We came across it in a journey and it just took me by

surprise. A pretty little town now fully recovered at least physically. There would be plenty of the

towns people at that time who would remember the absolute carnage.

How you portray the devastation Jim I do not know. Dead and injured Germans and French people lying

about the place. Homes destroyed. The French towns people their world torn apart mentally and physically.

The stench of dead bloated horses and humans. Cows screaming in the adjoining fields unmilked. Allied

medics and soldiers sorting the dead or alive. Soldiers removing and burying the dead animals. All in this

beautiful Normandy countryside.

A little snippett. William the Conqueror, of Britain, was born in Falaise Castle.

Laurie
Hmmmmm.... That encompasses quite a bit, I figure a 4ft x 8ft board should do it and it would probably take the rest of my coherent life to complete. But first I'll need to build another room on thougho_O

L

Laurie

\ said:
I figure a 4ft x 8ft board should do it and it would probably take the rest of my coherent life to complete
Being optimistic Jim :smiling3:

\ said:
take the rest of my coherent life to complete
Not saying anything Jim :D

Laurie

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
\ said:
Being optimistic Jim :smiling3:
Not saying anything Jim :D

Laurie
Are you insinuating that my "coherent" life has already passed me byo_O If only I was so lucky:D

First Name
Robert
\ said:
Just a thought to bandy about for my next big dio project. I believe the name says it all, it will be my winter project, already have the base, it will be my "Drive In The Country" display board suitably grunged up of course. Will need to collect certain specific stuff and have plenty of figures it the junk boxes to make a lot of poor unfortunates out of also am going to be bidding on some dead horses and wagons and such.....OMG! it's going to be nightmarish:eek: whattiya thinko_O View attachment 129513
I like your approach and seeing your work and skill Jim from before you will and can only get better. Can you really pull it off with all those dead horses and wagons etc the figures involved the mud dirt ,

I'm gonna really enjoy this..........

I'm buckling up and sitting comfortabl........ Let the modelling begin!!!!!!!

Regards

Robert

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
\ said:
I like your approach and seeing your work and skill Jim from before you will and can only get better. Can you really pull it off with all those dead horses and wagons etc the figures involved the mud dirt ,
I'm gonna really enjoy this..........

I'm buckling up and sitting comfortabl........ Let the modelling begin!!!!!!!

Regards

Robert
Thanks for your vote of confidence Robert, have been very busy with other things but am getting back into the groove. Will be putting out my version of a 1/25 scale Cat D8H bulldozer in a day or two

then will start serious work on Falaise project though I have begun collecting the bits and bobs. I'll do a work in progress thread of course so all can follow along, I am a bit of a slow poke though

so please bare with me:oops:. Remember "anything good is worth waiting for" {I hope it's good}............Cheers..........Jim:smiling3:

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
\ said:
Hi Jim, Any updates on this ?
Will be starting very soon Paul, keep an eye out;)............Jim:smiling3:

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
\ said:
Looking forward to this one Jim I love your dioramas
Sorry for the long wait Ian, and I truly appreciate your kind words, will be starting very soon...............Jim:smiling3:

First Name
Robert
\ said:
Thanks for your vote of confidence Robert, have been very busy with other things but am getting back into the groove. Will be putting out my version of a 1/25 scale Cat D8H bulldozer in a day or two
then will start serious work on Falaise project though I have begun collecting the bits and bobs. I'll do a work in progress thread of course so all can follow along, I am a bit of a slow poke though

so please bare with me:oops:. Remember "anything good is worth waiting for" {I hope it's good}............Cheers..........Jim:smiling3:
Looking at your previous work Jim ( I get inspiration from them for my dios ) your works always worth the wait

Robert

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
WWII my Arse , that was taken last week up t norf after t floods !