Ian M's HMS HOOD. Trumpeter 1/200

J

John Rixon

Please tell me you're going to send that, Ian! I'm sure we've all felt many, if not all of the points you make about kit makers, good bit of writing there!

J

John Rixon

... I mean, you'd have thought that with such a wealth of knowledge there is on that Hood society website, it would be in the kit makers interest to collaborate? I, for one would be swayed if I knew the kit had been made with the input of what has to be the ultimate resource on the subject. Just imagine a Lancaster kit bearing the label "Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Edition". The symbiosis is almost palpable!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Indeed John. The Hood association was very much involved in the production of the 1/350 and later the 1/700 versions and they are the most true to life mainstream kit out there. When HA offered their help again, they got a very short (almost rude) no thanks. Their loss.
Anyway it is good to know that there are still some that read posts even with out photos. That said:
DSC_0571.JPG
I got some of the smaller bit thrown together and still I find there are bits I have failed to paint and get ready. :mad:

Remember that masking tape I wrote of?
DSC_0570.JPG
I ended up having to mask, (almost) the whole of the boat deck as the spray would be coming at it in all directions and the overspray
would have been all over the shop!
DSC_0569.JPG
Having now sprayed the boatdeck details, I have now totally run out of AR507c so I'm buggered until a pack turns up from Germany!
I am also reconsidering my plan of attack. Well If I had one I would be. So I guess I mean that I need to make a plan! This is getting to be a pain.

Off to have a think.

F

Fenlander

Great progress Ian. Sadly I have succeed to the really bad chest infection that has plagued me for a couple of weeks and I have done nothing since my last update. If I move quickly or try to concentrate on anything, the coughing and shortness of breath knocks me back. I will sit it out and wait for it to pass before getting back to the Bizzy.

If Trumpeter took advice on the 1/700 and 1/350 Hood, why did they not just apply that to the 1/200 or am I mixing up the time scales...

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
If Trumpeter took advice on the 1/700 and 1/350 Hood, why did they not just apply that to the 1/200 or am I mixing up the time scales...
Sorry to learn that you are unwell. A speedy recovery to you.
Nowt wrong with your time scale. Trumpy just ment that they had all the info that they needed and "we already make the best HMS Hood so why the sudden need to improve it!" or words to that effect. HA did say that new photo evidence has turned up but Trumpeter knew better..... or so they thought.

Thanks Ian. Some times you just need to let rip. If it can be done with a bit of a smile, so much the better.
Right then. Talked to the shop in Germany..... about two weeks until there is paint! Bugger.
Sent a mail to Sovereign hobbies asking if they want an agent in Denmark. lol.
A plan has been thunked up. I have about a thousand.... well a carrier bag full of small plastic dishes. Originally the bottoms of coffee pod containers...I drink a lot of coffee still but not in these pods. Way to expensive. I use them as throw out paint mixing thingies. Now I have found another use for them...
DSC_0572.JPG
Part bins! The number in the circle is the sub-assembly number. You can just see at the top left of the photo the kind of issue I have; Make six of those and twelve of them and a dozen af these. So now I will go through the destructions and make all the "sub-assemblies" and get them as ready as I can.
So in a week or so I might have all the sub's ready for paint.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Please tell me you're going to send that, Ian! I'm sure we've all felt many, if not all of the points you make about kit makers, good bit of writing there!

Yeah! Or why not ask them to make a masking set for the decks - you can buy pre-cut wooden decks so a mask shouldn't present any major problem (you could maybe put a masking sheet into the cutting machine instead of the wood saving you a fortune in design work). I wouldn't mind paying a bit extra to save all the masking work.

You could also ask them why they're not prepared to supply replacement parts - then I could buy some more of their stuff!

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I think it would be easier to hire a dry dock and build the real deal. Cracking work going on here !!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
While doing all the sub assemblies I go to these which are a bit more interesting than lockers and boxes, so I thought you might like a look as well.
This is one of three, eight barreled AA guns.
DSC_0573.JPG
for reference the platform is about the same size as a 14ml Humbrol tin.
And here are the parts that go to make this little gem up:
DSC_0574.JPG
Now I just have to clean up some rather large sprue gates and file the burs off the PE then stick it all together.
LOL the cutting mat's markings give the size. Each of the smallest squares are 1 mm the next up are 1 cm.
This is nr. 2 so one more to go after this one!

First Name
Robert
While doing all the sub assemblies I go to these which are a bit more interesting than lockers and boxes, so I thought you might like a look as well.
This is one of three, eight barreled AA guns.
View attachment 275044
for reference the platform is about the same size as a 14ml Humbrol tin.
And here are the parts that go to make this little gem up:
View attachment 275045
Now I just have to clean up some rather large sprue gates and file the burs off the PE then stick it all together.
LOL the cutting mat's markings give the size. Each of the smallest squares are 1 mm the next up are 1 cm.
This is nr. 2 so one more to go after this one!

Were these more known as Pom Pom guns ?

Lovely ? But they look a handful of pieces for something so small

Robert

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Were these more known as Pom Pom guns ?
Indeed they are in fact 2lb'er mk VIII

Nice work Ian. Have you drilled the barrels out ?
They come drilled out in the kit, which is good. However the Hood didn't have conical flash surpressors on her Pom-Pom guns so they will be getting the chop and a straight tube muzzle added.... Grrr

First Name
Robert
Nice to see you putting so much detail in this Ian ( I wish I had your patience )

Regards

Robert

tanktrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
loving the build Ian iv a hood to build but at a far smaller scale , i will watch on

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well still at it. Just been grabbing an hour here and there and getting some of the sub-assemblies out of the way. Also been having lots of fun with PE and not so super-glue.
These two buggers took about half an hour each, just to put the 'spider web' over the tops! DSC_0575.JPG
First the lower rail then the actual 'spider web' after! I even bought some new super thin CA which was just about effective as the water it was as thin as. Ended up using the old one. (and a lot of swear words).
DSC_0576.JPG
A heap of pom-poms, 5,5lb'er twins, UP launchers (the square brass things). These where in effect a system that launched wire guided rockets into the air, where the tops split open ejecting loads of small mines on parachutes with wires hanging from them. The idea was that an attacking aircraft would snag the wire and pull the mine into it. In truth they caused more damage to the ship and personel than enemy aircraft and they saw very little use. (UP stood for Un-rotating Projectile).
I have shoot myself in the foot with the Pom-Pom guns! the platform should be dark grey and everything else the same colour as the Hull. Whoops.
DSC_0577.JPG
Made a start on the big boys as well but lots to do to those yet.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking real good,Ian,nice progress,so far,;)