IDF D9R

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Because of the weather it has not been worth working in the shed and trying to spray cold paint, and as it has been so wet I could not run the electricity from the house via the extension lead for the LAV-25 base, but it is getting there - slowly...
So I decided to dig out something that has already had a start in life and after some deliberation I decided to do some more work on my D9R 'Doobie'.
Here are some pics previously take of the start of the build - you will notice that there is a lot of brass....
etchsheet.jpg
That is for the grills...
radgrill1.jpg
Bending commences...
radgrill2.jpg
Mesh added to give some depth - when the grill was finished I did not really need it....
radgrill3.jpg
And there is one of the side grills finished....
More shortly.

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
So that was where I was apart from some awful painting (must have been a duff bottle) before I put the build away...
20211206_112643.jpg
And this is where I am a week ago...
20211206_112705.jpg
Notice the roof of the engine bay to the right...
20211208_200651.jpg
The kit exhaust stack was replaced with tube and even more brass...
20211206_112730.jpg
Then it was re-paint time, which came out a lot better this time...
20211206_112829.jpg
This is where I will be going....
More to come.

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
So work has been going apace on the cab...
20211215_200927.jpg
The work was taken from the D9R book from Eagle Publishing.... I rebuilt the escape door on the right side...
20211211_170002.jpg
The black edge has to be touched up and made finer...
20211215_200900.jpg
I noticed that behind the Cmdrs seat there was a two-door cupboard and this was added from plasticard and left over etch fittings...
20211215_200753.jpg
The roof has also been improved with cable and cable clips...
20211215_200723.jpg
The seats painted and seat straps added...
20211211_170027.jpg
Test fitting along the way - notice the non-slip floor covering...
20211215_200734.jpg
On the right is the front panel and to the left of the main panel is one of the two rifle racks that are added...
20211215_200704.jpg
Test fit - test fit all the time... Soon to have a mild wash and dusting inside the cab before getting ready for paint.
More later,
Mike.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Interesting idea!!

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
The thought of positioning all those grill bars makes me feel a little bit sick…with more to come on the windows?

But super work as usual!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Mike
You're at it again :smiling: Super, high detail modelling. Looks excellent.
Jim

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That bar armour is always impressive — both in how it looks and that you have the determination to actually build it :smiling3:

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
Many thanks for the support and comments, Neil, Andrew, Jack, Jim and Jakko, they are always welcome...
Just a quick tip for those that may not know. Today one pair of my old tweezers finally died :sleeping2:, they have been with me for decades. So it was off to the interweb to find a replacement - found a few and one set in particular took my fancy, so they have been ordered.
It was then I realised that if I took my pair of smooth tweezers and C/a'd a strip of 240 grit wet n dry paper to each end about 10mm in length and once trimmed there is a pefectly workable pair of tweezers.... (pic to follow).
Managed to get my base sprayed and tomorrow will flat varnish it then add the groundwork - but more of that on the LAV-25 build.
Cheers
Mike.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
That really is some patient work Mike but well worth it, looks really good.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Excellent work as always Mike. Interesting tip on the tweezers as well. Might try it myself because I’ve never really got on with them for fine parts. I’ve always gone back to using a cocktail stick with a scrap of blue tack on the end……not ideal, but at last it doesn’t launch bits into the ether….

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Mike,
The scratchery is outstanding as always mate. Rather you than me with the etch grills. Nice tip with the tweezers.

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Excellent work Mike, the etch looks rather tricky.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
A real PE exercise. Beautiful work.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
Again many thanks to all that have 'Liked' and also commented on the build.
Well I hope you all had a good Xmas, our's was so quiet even the grave stones left for brighter lights (just joking).
So a couple of days before my neighbours break-in SWMBO decided that the washing machine needed a long required update (I thought she was washing the housebricks, honest). After inspection and some research it was decided to change the 'shock absorbers'. Twenty minute job.... Sent away for the new ones that arrived the following day and were the correct ones. So dogs cleared of to safer climes, toolbox duly brought into the kitchen, machine pulled out from under the worktop and first job was to turn off the cold water supply to the machine. Turned the little blue tap to the required position, out with the stilsons and started to undo the pipe inlet at the machine... Question - Why when you know something does not seem to be correct do you continue anyway ??? As with all water connections you get a little water left over in the pipe and have a bowl ready to catch the surplus.... Thinking to oneself while truning the connection "That water looks a bit fierce squirting out, but it should settle once to pipe is disconnected... NO!!!! It was like trying to wrestle a mad snake, I was soaked, SWMBO was soaked, the flood was starting.... Crimped the pipe by folding it in half to stop the flow and duly handed it over to the backup (SWMBO) to hold - water still continued to force its way through, bowl full, bucket full - empty both... Into the cupboard under the sink to inspect the blue tap - tap was turned so that it would not matter which way you turned it it would not turn off the water, in other words knackered. And while wotking on that I kept seeing this red dye everywhere, question to SWMBO "Wheres all this red dye coming from" (expletives removed) Answer it is not red dye it is blood. Checked myself and sure enough I had a cut about 25mm along the pad of my thumb and must have nicked a vein, the stuff was everywhere. So a roll of kitchen paper later and two hours of mopping up I did eventually change the shock absorbers - but the problem was the front door seal had given up the ghost.
Later that night SWMBO twisted the knife in my injued pride by announcing she had just bought a new washing machine and I need not have bothered :tired::confounded::worried:....
So here is the build so far.... a mock up for the camera....
20211228_150808.jpg
And now with the cab and blade 'attached'...
20211228_150307.jpg
20211228_150331.jpg
20211228_150352.jpg
20211228_150402.jpg
20211228_150457.jpg
And with the non-slip which on the real vehicle seemed to be an afterthought.
20211228_150441.jpg
And that is it for this update - still putting brass on the cab - more later
Mike.