IDF M109 'Doher'

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
They look great. What do the colors signify?

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
They look great. What do the colors signify?
Morning Paul,
Colours of the ammunition - this varies with the mission profile ie Illumination, Penetration, Air Burst etc and the shells themselves are colour coded for example Light Blue for Illumination.
Now the containers (Yellow) we are talking about ONLY contain the propellant charge, so you get your shells (above) delivered seperately and then along comes another delivery of the charge and in different sizes. The power of the charge is printed on the canister and label (as per my models) and each charge is selected to go with whatever you are firing at. Except, the Light Blue canister contains not only the charge but also the parachute, and the whole is screwed to the top of the shell where you would normally put the fuse. In the Illumination setting the fuse comes in the Light Blue canister, but all other fuses come on seperate boxes.
The Olive Drab canister contains a Marker, to aid in air to ground operations, so the artillery mark the area with their smoke (Red, Yellow, Green) and the FAC (Forward Air Controller) can then come in and identify the target and call in the respective air response. But again the Marker needs a shell (Dummy) to add weight to the projectile. And the Black canisters are again charge bags for the shells.
This info comes from my friend in the IDF, hence the slow reply..
Cheers
Mike.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Impressive stuff Wibble, love the base with the track marks.
Wobble.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
Work on the front of the hull has finally been completed...
20240402_201922_HDR.jpg
20240402_202009_HDR.jpg
The 'new. fire control computer is also now fitted into the turret and the turret masked ready for primer and paint once the hull is complete...
computer.jpg
The rear door for the hull has been altered to the correct one for a Doher and not the M-109 (US etc)...
20240402_144424_HDR.jpg
The kit version....
20240402_144534_HDR.jpg
The IDF version - the fire extinguisher will be repainted and securing straps will be fitted.
All the pallets are now finished and waiting for the stowage racking.
The tracks have had some work progress, but no rush on these as a fair way to go yet.
Cheers
Mike.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update.
So to the rear - Number plate added, rear idler attachments now in place as are the anchor blades....
The two tool boxes were the next to go on, with one open to show a few tools...
20240404_222737_HDR.jpg
And next it was onto the rear mud guards....
20240404_222445_HDR.jpg
These are the etch parts and the other parts that will be added....
20240404_222609_HDR.jpg
Just got to add the release pull in the slot you can see, and then it will be onto the next one. This first one took me about 2 hours to put together and mount in place.
More later,
Cheers
Mike

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
Just a few more pics of the progress....
20240409_162453_HDR.jpg
Work has started on the side stowage rails, I replaced the kit offerings with brass etch attachment brackets (Voyager M-109) and the rails with 1mm aluminium tube, two more brackets to add this side.... And nearly forgot the new filler cap....
20240409_162507_HDR.jpg
Left side completed with the 'bucket' stowage for the cleaning rod. bracket for holding spare track links and clamps complete with new 'butterfly' fasteniers for the tow cable.
20240409_162532_HDR.jpg
Then it was back to the turret to start finalising the outside. First come the two front stowage baskets, above is the left hand one waiting to be cleaned up and then have the ammo box rack and the jerry can holder added....
20240409_162602_HDR.jpg
This is the right side one attached showing the jerry can holder....

20240409_162620_HDR.jpg
And this is the tool holder at the front, just got the pin and chain to add to the top bracket.
And that is it for now
Cheers
Mike.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Thanks Paul, there I was patting myself on the back and congratulating myself that the turret was now finished, but in the back of my mind was that niggle that something was missing - oh! it was missing alright - it was all the fittings and the stowage baskets - now that was a real Simpsons moment....