Intro.

OldMart

SMF Supporter
First Name
Martin
Hello everyone. I'm Martin, "OldMart". I live in Cheshire. UK. At present I'm attempting to build the Caldercraft, HMS Victory. 1/72 scale. Along with other bits and pieces, as we all do. I am a total novice, started for something to occupy my mind, and empty my wallet? As you can imagine I'm a complete novice so any advice will be welcome. Kind regards OldMart.

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Martin, welcome to this forum.
I had to google for your Victory kit as I never heard of it before... it's a HUGE model! Something to keep your mind, hands, bench and, perhaps, family occupied for a long time. :thumb2:
I'm not in floaty things modelling, but I'm pretty sure you'll find some good and friendly advice here.

Andrea

OldMart

SMF Supporter
First Name
Martin
Martin, welcome to this forum.
I had to google for your Victory kit as I never heard of it before... it's a HUGE model! Something to keep your mind, hands, bench and, perhaps, family occupied for a long time. :thumb2:
I'm not in floaty things modelling, but I'm pretty sure you'll find some good and friendly advice here.

Andrea
Thanks Andrea. Just me messing things up I'm afraid, but it's all good fun and a huge learning curve.️

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
..... and it's a warm welcome from me too Mart,(you don't need the "old" bit mate....most of us on here are knocking on a bit!! ;) ),
I look forward to seeing you around the parish,as for questions.... just ask away....SOMEONE will always pop up with the answer,or suggestions :smiling3:
Don't pay too much heed to the "novice" thing either.... as long as you're enjoying whatever you're making, that's all that counts :smiling3:
Cheers,
Andy

OldMart

SMF Supporter
First Name
Martin
..... and it's a warm welcome from me too Mart,(you don't need the "old" bit mate....most of us on here are knocking on a bit!! ;) ),
I look forward to seeing you around the parish,as for questions.... just ask away....SOMEONE will always pop up with the answer,or suggestions :smiling3:
Don't pay too much heed to the "novice" thing either.... as long as you're enjoying whatever you're making, that's all that counts :smiling3:
Cheers,
Andy
Thanks Andy. That's encouraging. Enjoy! Martin

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Welcome aboard Martin. I am a big fan of those old three masted ship models. I don't think I would have the patience to tackle Victory now but I have built several others in the past. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

John

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
A warm welcome, Martin, to a great forum. As Andy says there are quite a few more mature modellers here. We try to keep the young 'uns in check as best we can. We are a very friendly, welcoming bunch so join in and have fun.
I look forward to seeing your Caldercraft Victory. It will be a long, slow build but the end result will be stunning. I built a cross section of the Victory a year or so ago and that took almost 12 months.

OldMart

SMF Supporter
First Name
Martin
A warm welcome, Martin, to a great forum. As Andy says there are quite a few more mature modellers here. We try to keep the young 'uns in check as best we can. We are a very friendly, welcoming bunch so join in and have fun.
I look forward to seeing your Caldercraft Victory. It will be a long, slow build but the end result will be stunning. I built a cross section of the Victory a year or so ago and that took almost 12 months.
Cheers Jim. Got to get to grips with taking photos? Martin

OldMart

SMF Supporter
First Name
Martin
I've got the cross section on top of my wardrobe. Thanks Jim.

OldMart

SMF Supporter
First Name
Martin
Welcome Martin. You've found the best forum on the internet!
Pete
Thanks Pete. Everyone seems very friendly. I think I will enjoy the company. Where will I find advice on putting photos on? Kind regards Martin.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Welcome Martin.

As you type a reply there are several icons across the top. Press the one that looks like a landscape picture (near the middle) and follow your nose.

That will allow you to either upload them for the site to store, or link to them if you have them displayed elsewhere, but most of us upload straight here.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Martin,
welcome to the forum. The Victory in 1/72? You need a large area to work on that, let alone display it! I did a few plank on frame ships last century, I found that I had difficulty in keeping up the commitment to such long term projects. I prefer the plastic variety now. You'll find a large cross section of model makers here, from beginner to expert, and the whole genre of models. Any questions on techniques, material, sources, ask away - someone will have an answer!
Dave

OldMart

SMF Supporter
First Name
Martin
Welcome Martin.

As you type a reply there are several icons across the top. Press the one that looks like a landscape picture (near the middle) and follow your nose.

That will allow you to either upload them for the site to store, or link to them if you have them displayed elsewhere, but most of us upload straight here.
Thanks Andy. I will have a go, but please bear with me. Kind regards Martin

OldMart

SMF Supporter
First Name
Martin
Martin,
welcome to the forum. The Victory in 1/72? You need a large area to work on that, let alone display it! I did a few plank on frame ships last century, I found that I had difficulty in keeping up the commitment to such long term projects. I prefer the plastic variety now. You'll find a large cross section of model makers here, from beginner to expert, and the whole genre of models. Any questions on techniques, material, sources, ask away - someone will have an answer!
Dave
Again thanks Dave. It's great, so many friendly people. Keep safe Martin.