ISU-152 Zvezda 1/72 snap fit kit

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Going to give another one of these great little kits a go. Cheap at under nine squids you've not lost much if it goes top lockers up with that thought this could well see a touch of hairspray or chipping fluid winter camo ,haven't done one since the old mm days. Box pic and parts
20211026_163851.jpg
20211026_164137.jpg
Thats all for now hoping for the usual help and encouragement Dave.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
.... and here it is. Nice choice. Looking forward to seeing the winter camo with hairspray chipping, layering, mapping and splattering or better known as paint work:smiling5:;):cool::thumb2:

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Another great choice….this was the big game Hunter wasn’t it?

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
.... and here it is. Nice choice. Looking forward to seeing the winter camo with hairspray chipping, layering, mapping and splattering or better known as paint work:smiling5:;):cool::thumb2:
Sorry for the above kittens fault ,any way Steve im all for the paint work part not sure about the other ,had you mentioned things like chancer and make it up as you go along thoes are the techniques im more familiar with ,the winter camo will happen thats for sure. Dave

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Looks good and quite a lot of parts for such a small model.

Andy.
Andy actually compared to a lot of the 72nd stuff i build the parts count is well below I think that that's what makes these little snap fit kits a nice change not that their lacking in anyway. Hope you stick around im looking forward to this one wich is always a good start. Dave

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Another great choice….this was the big game Hunter wasn’t it?
Tim sounds good to me I'll buy it ,must have been a absolute beast in the field ,I can remember watching the tiger trundle by at Bovington tiger day and being slightly underwhelmed (yes brilliant to see the only working one left etc)in war surly the fear factor comming from the fact it took you out as a target before you'd even got within range as for this thing I havent a clue if it was successful or not but it looks the part. Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm in, front row please.
What a "Beast " no chance if one of these had you in its sights.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I'm in, front row please.
What a "Beast " no chance if one of these had you in its sights.
Indeed.

What gets me every time I think about it, is the fact of the calibre of the shell is the same size as fitted to most British cruisers during the war, such as HMS Belfast i.e. 6".

It may be an apocryphal story/myth but I understand the turret rings on German tanks were not necessarily that strong and so it was apparently not unknown for a strike from one of these to blow the turret right off the hull..... Needless to say I'm willing to be corrected if it is one of those many wartime myths....

ATB.

Andrew

Last edited:

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Indeed.

What gets me every time I think about it, is the fact of the calibre of the shell is the same size as fitted to most British cruisers during the war, such as HMS Belfast i.e. 6".

It may be an apocryphal story/myth but I understand the turret rings on German tanks were not necessarily that strong and so it was apparently not unknown for a strike from one of these to blow the turret right of the hull..... Needless to say I'm willing to be corrected if it is one of those many wartime myths....

ATB.

Andrew
Andrew thats putting a whole lot of kinetic energy down range ,myth I dont think so and neither it seems do Zvezda check out the box art. Dave

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Indeed.

It may be an apocryphal story/myth but I understand the turret rings on German tanks were not necessarily that strong and so it was apparently not unknown for a strike from one of these to blow the turret right off the hull..... Needless to say I'm willing to be corrected if it is one of those many wartime myths....

ATB.

Andrew
EXCUSE ME Dave.

Yes your quite right Andrew, for your information ..
Whilst not designed for this role, it inherited the name “Zveroboy” (Beast killer) from the SU-152, because it could knock out the Panther, Tiger, and King Tiger tanks, as well as the Jagdtiger, and Ferdinand/Elefant. It is actually well known for this role because the Soviets were able to make this into a very effective propaganda tool in the late war. Whilst the weight of the shells (and therefore slow loading) resulted in 1-3 rounds per minute, the sheer mechanical shock was enough to kill the crew of an enemy tank, or disable an enemy tank even without an armor penetration, which is useful because generally, these shells did not penetrate. It has even been reported that the shell could totally blow the turret off of a Tiger tank!
At Kursk, AP shells were given to the ISU-152, but these rounds were expensive, hard to make, and were in very short supply, as well as only being a little more effective than the HE round. Finally, when fired upon, the ISU-152’s 90mm, 90 degree sloped armor fared well against 75 mm German guns at long ranges, but the Tiger’s 88mm gun was always a killer. However, despite stories and amazing photos of the ISU-152’s exploits as a tank destroyer, at close ranges, it was vulnerable to German high caliber guns, and it had a low rate of fire. Not only this, but it was inaccurate, and not intended for the role. ISU-152s tended to be used for direct fire as an assault gun, which saw it fighting against enemy positions, not necessarily enemy tanks.

Thanks Dave.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andrew thats putting a whole lot of kinetic energy down range ,myth I dont think so and neither it seems do Zvezda check out the box art. Dave
Completely missed that!!

After I commented on your build I had a look at the spec of the gun used..... IIRC The weight of the AP shell was not far short of 50lbd and travelled at 500 to 600m per second. As you say that's a lot of kinetic energy. And I would also imagine that the concussive effect of an HE shell of that size if not piercing the armour would be almost, if not more effective, on the crew and the workings of the tanks it hit. Very much looking forward to seeing this one come together after your last build.

ATB.

Andrew

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
EXCUSE ME Dave.

Whilst not designed for this role, it inherited the name “Zveroboy” (Beast killer) from the SU-152, because it could knock out the Panther, Tiger, and King Tiger tanks, as well as the Jagdtiger, and Ferdinand/Elefant. It is actually well known for this role because the Soviets were able to make this into a very effective propaganda tool in the late war. Whilst the weight of the shells (and therefore slow loading) resulted in 1-3 rounds per minute, the sheer mechanical shock was enough to kill the crew of an enemy tank, or disable an enemy tank even without an armor penetration, which is useful because generally, these shells did not penetrate. It has even been reported that the shell could totally blow the turret off of a Tiger tank!
At Kursk, AP shells were given to the ISU-152, but these rounds were expensive, hard to make, and were in very short supply, as well as only being a little more effective than the HE round. Finally, when fired upon, the ISU-152’s 90mm, 90 degree sloped armor fared well against 75 mm German guns at long ranges, but the Tiger’s 88mm gun was always a killer. However, despite stories and amazing photos of the ISU-152’s exploits as a tank destroyer, at close ranges, it was vulnerable to German high caliber guns, and it had a low rate of fire. Not only this, but it was inaccurate, and not intended for the role. ISU-152s tended to be used for direct fire as an assault gun, which saw it fighting against enemy positions, not necessarily enemy tanks.

Thanks Dave.
Nice one John always good to get some info down on these things even if you have taken some of the shine off regarding beast killer ,what makes this such a great little site is the way all you chaps help out with a bit of info here and there making the build that little bit more ,well you know. Let's just hope it all goes how ive invisaged it.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
EXCUSE ME Dave.

Thanks Dave.
John

Sorry missed this as I was in the middle of my other reply.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated as always. As Dave said it's these little tit bits of info that make a build so interesting and take it to the next level.

ATB.

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Great work Dave.

Well done.

Andrew

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Very nice Dave , doesn't it look the part. Can see why the Germans respected this and got out of the way .

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Very nice Dave , doesn't it look the part. Can see why the Germans respected this and got out of the way .
Great work Dave.

Well done.

Andrew
Thanks chaps dont know how far I'll go with the 4B0 if its having the old winter white wash but as usual I'll jump in blind and make it up as I go along(chancer)not that I want to muck it up but at under nine pounds pressures off ,its not cost much to learn by your mistakes. Dave