Italieri 1/48 Hawker Hurricane MK1. 303 squadron (Polish) Flg Off W Urbanoviocz , RAF northolt 1940

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Very nicely painted pilot Alan. Regarding the spinner, it does look a little bulbous on that kit.

Very early Hurricanes had a very pointed spinner and a fixed two-bladed propeller:

View attachment 82766

Later Mark I Hurricanes were fitted with a de Havilland two-position three bladed propeller:

View attachment 82767

Slightly later again (and possibly also common with some Spitfire Mark I), the Merlin III allowed the use of either the Rotol or Hamilton constant-speed three-blade propeller system:

View attachment 82768

Later Hurricane versions had extended nose cones and different propeller blades. Canadian Hurricanes, when fitted, had the more bulbous Hamilton spinner fitted.

Early prop.jpg

DH prop.jpg

Rotol prop.jpg

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Very nicely painted pilot Alan. Regarding the spinner, it does look a little bulbous on that kit.Very early Hurricanes had a very pointed spinner and a fixed two-bladed propeller:

View attachment 82938

Later Mark I Hurricanes were fitted with a de Havilland two-position three bladed propeller:

View attachment 82939

Slightly later again (and possibly also common with some Spitfire Mark I), the Merlin III allowed the use of either the Rotol or Hamilton constant-speed three-blade propeller system:

View attachment 82940

Later Hurricane versions had extended nose cones and different propeller blades. Canadian Hurricanes, when fitted, had the more bulbous Hamilton spinner fitted.
Thanks for that joe , there is a book that comes with this kit about all the types of hurricane built and it shows you all the small differences as you've kindly put up but the kit isn't even close to any of the spinners in the book or in your pics , and it's noticeable to anyone with a bit of knowledge about this aircraft.

Thanks again for your pics joe I appreciate it :smiling3:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
My pleasure Alan. The smaller scale Airfix Hurricanes also had the same problem. Maybe their new kits have rectified the issues. Italeri generally make good kits but looks like they fell into the same trap.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Yeah mate , I'm off to a model show tomorrow so I'll see if I can get another one and do that :smiling3:

After seeing peter 1/24 hurry I'm on look out for one of those as well :D

G

Graham D

Nice model, the pilot make all the difference, it brings an animation to an otherwise static model

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looks pretty good to me. The only critique is maybe the brush has had a bit to much paint on it and has left some heavy brush marks. other than that...

Good job on the pilot.

Ian M

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
It's looking good Alan. It's always going to be a bit tricky using a brush. I wonder if you thinned your paint enough. I thin everything, even Vallejo model air, that gets thinned too before brushing.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers Colin I'm glad you like it , I've bought an AB today not an exspencive one just an aerosol one for practice and I got some cheep kits I don't want to use it on anything good in case I ruin it

T

treyzx10r

Looks awesome Alan,properly weathered front line fighter! Very nicely done Sir!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
Cheers Colin I'm glad you like it , I've bought an AB today not an exspencive one just an aerosol one for practice and I got some cheep kits I don't want to use it on anything good in case I ruin it
And now the fun really starts. Good luck............................