It's growing ....

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I have a few more 1/100 kits done. Rather than creating a new thread every time, I'll put all the rest - there should be quite a few - on here.

The KV1 and Panzer II are both Zvezda. I think the T34 is from Plastic Soldier Co. Anyone like to guess what the last couple of pictures are for?

IMGP3566.JPGIMGP3569.JPGIMGP3570.JPGIMGP3572.JPGIMGP3573.JPGIMGP3574.JPG

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Raupenschlepper OST or RSO-1 as it is the first variation of three different iterations of that particular vehicle.
Did I win the door prize?
Rick H.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
If there had been a door prize, you woulda won it! It is a Raupenschlepper.

Only reason I included it is 'cos I had to cut out the windows - the piece originally had no window gaps, rather like the Zis 5 I made last week. I'm quite pleased with it although I know it doesn't feature high in the annals of scratch building! I'll add a box for a seat and I've found a steering wheel in my spares box. I also think I've got a spare driver which will help too. The kit includes a selection of anti-tank guns so I'll be showing this towing one - makes a change from always seeing the guns firing at some poor sod!

I'm not quite so pleased that I managed to get blood over my shirt where I cut myself. Only a tiny bit, but annoying as I somehow managed to cut my right hand. I hold my knife in my right hand! Go figure how I managed to cut the hand holding the knife.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Dave, sorry to hear about your war wound. I'm leaving it up to you to figure that out. :smiling3: I hope you don't mind if I tell you that the RSO was not equipped with a steering wheel. There were a pair of levers with a right angle grip at the top like a motorcycle grip that protruded outward on the left and right lever. Simple, they just came up out of the floor in front of the driver position like a couple of upside down opposing letter L's. Having fun is the main thing though, hope you don't need stitches...

Rick H.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks for that Rick - two levers it is then.

I was checking the other kits for a driver. Turns out there are two drivers in their Steyr kit. Weird thing is, the steering wheel is attached to a pair of arms which have to be fitted to the driver so the wheel itself is not attached directly to the vehicle. Even weirder is the fact there are two drivers with no lower arms and only one steeing wheel with lower arms attached. :upside:

PS My war wound is only a tiny little dink. I just found it strange I managed to cut the hand that was holding the knife.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
The next batch:

The Tiger is the Zvezda offering, the others are from Plastic Soldier - all in 1/100 scale.

IMGP3593.JPGIMGP3594.JPGIMGP3595.JPGIMGP3599.JPGIMGP3600.JPGIMGP3601.JPGIMGP3602.JPGIMGP3603.JPGIMGP3604.JPGIMGP3605.JPGIMGP3606.JPG

Again, absolutely no build issues except for the windows. On the Raupenschlepper and maultier the windscreens are molded as a solid colour so I had to cut them out. They look much better in reality but for all the pictures show, I might just as well have just painted them black as suggested in the instructions!

Not a complaint, but with the Plastic Soldier Co kits, they usually have multiple options on each sprue so you have a choice of what to build. Great you say - and I agree. But for the maultier for example, four extra parts would allow you to build both the maultier AND the standard truck from the same sprue. As it is, you can build either but not both. Plus you have the optional bonnet for the Mercedes versions so you could end up with one of each.

I don't know whether this is deliberate policy on the company's part or something they didn't think of. Either way, although disappointing, it's certainly not going to stop me buying more of their kits.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Sounds like the "sub braille scale" bug has bit!:flushed:. A fair amount of work there Dave, you'll be on to the diorama soon. Rick H.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Sounds like the "sub braille scale" bug has bit!:flushed:. A fair amount of work there Dave, you'll be on to the diorama soon. Rick H.

Got a few ideas but waiting for some buildings so I can get some idea of how big.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
Amazing little braille scale models. Far better than I'd imagine from the scale. Sounds as if you're having fun even if self mutilation goes with the fun :rolling:
Jim

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
War wound has matron been called ? with the big whatsit lol
chris

Despite my wound being a massive 2mm long, hospitals have lots of other things going on at the moment, so I've been very brave and treated it myself. I managed to stem the flow of blood with a plaster and now I just need time to recuperate. No need to call matron.

Besides, I couldn't stand the embarrassment of trying to explain how I managed to do it! Takes some doing to stab yourself with the knife you're holding in the hand that gets stabbed!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Dave
Amazing little braille scale models. Far better than I'd imagine from the scale. Sounds as if you're having fun even if self mutilation goes with the fun :rolling:
Jim

Fun it is Jim - they really are amazing little kits! I've managed to fight my way through the pain barrier and the long, slow process of healing has begun, so I'm continuing for the sake of the team!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I got hold of some basic decals for these vehicles. I've added some but purists may wish to look away now. I've made no attempt to match unit insignias or markings, I've just added a few here and there to basically break up the basic colours a little.

IMGP3607.JPGIMGP3608.JPGIMGP3609.JPGIMGP3610.JPGIMGP3611.JPG

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
It's a small world after all! Looking good Dave. Rick H.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Not much extra at the moment. I got a few half built but I'm waiting on paint. Added some cargo to my little maultier which helps.

IMGP3617.JPGIMGP3619.JPG

Back to my 15mm figures .... only about 15 to do - until the next batch arrives. Pics soon.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
They always look better if untarped, as long as there is plenty of crapintheback. Rick H.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
They always look better if untarped, as long as there is plenty of crapintheback. Rick H.

You're right, an empty truck just doesn't look right. I got another one on order which I'll build as the standard truck but I'll probably put the tarp on that one just for variety - maybe open the back flap like I did with the Zis. While I'm waiting for paint, I'll open up the windows on the Mercedes cab that came with this one, so I won't have two blitzes.

I also have the tarp left over from this one and there's a small flap moulded on the back so I'll just open that up. Unlike your poor guy left peelin' all those spuds though, I won't have anything inside mine!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Still waiting on paint for tanks so caught up with most of the figures for my planned dio:

IMGP3620.JPGIMGP3621.JPGIMGP3622.JPG

Assorted Russian and German figures from Plastic Soldier Co - about 80 so far. I've got a few more to do for crew figures for guns etc. so I should end up with around a hundred.

I'm very impressed with the level of detail and poses - far superior to the old Airfix figures even though they're quite a bit smaller - although as always there are some repeat figures. All will have their bases either removed or covered when I place them.

Now I know how Ron felt when he painted all those b****y zulus!

I do have a question though.

I've looked into a lot of figure painting sites and I'm surprised at what I've found. I put one coat of each colour for the different areas then add a rough coat of matt varnish to protect the paint.

Most figure painters start with a primer, then a base coat, then individual colours, then one or more highlight coats (lighter or darker) for the main colours, then drybrush colours for more highlights, then washes and varnishes. Their figures in close up look like clowns with overdone make-up after a paintball battle in a muddy pond!

Why? These are 15mm figures so even at 2ft viewing distance, you're only seeing what they would look like at 200ft in the real world. How much detail can you see on a figure 200ft away?!

Having said all that, I have tremendous admiration for a lot of figure painters who do the fantasy stuff. Some of those are truly fabulous!