It's growing ....

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Just caught up Dave, some very nice work so far. At first I thought you were planning on doing a diorama of the battle of Kursk with all the vehicles, but not sure now.

Thanks Ian. Still only rough ideas about the dio but it won't be based on anything factual. Any relationship between the events and characters portrayed and real people and events is purely coincidental!

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
That's a tough question Dave. What do they represent?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Big error.....should have said La Haye Sainte....

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
You're right Tim - La Haye Sainte it is! I hadn't planned to use them as that particular farm but just as generic farm buildings, although I was going to paint them in the proper colours and keep them all together - just in case I decide to put together a Waterloo dio. And they'll hold their value if they can be sold as a complete set! One or more may still appear on my dio though.

And you're right. They are beautifully made! Stephan at Tiger Terrain isn't making anything at the moment due to the lockdown, but he does the full range of all the Waterloo buildings as well as some good stuff from Normandy. I believe he'll be going back to production in due course.

Rick - We spoke recently about buildings. Although both these sets are good, I don't think they'd fit in with your 1/87 stuff.

Even the larger Russian set from Time Cast would leave your figures looking far too tall. (A 'standard' 6ft 6inch door should scale to nearly 23mm in 1/87, so even the 17mm height of those Russian doors is only about 3/4 of what it should be - which is a really big difference at these sort of scales. But of course you already know that! I just put it in for those who hadn't worked it out :smiling3: ). Sorry, but it looks like you're going to have to keep looking.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I'm not surprised Dave. It looks like they are even too small for your 15mm figs. I don't know how much work it would be, you might consider changing out the doors with something a little more to scale. Windows would be OK as is...just a thought. Rick H.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I wouldn’t get too hung up about the door height. I live in a rural house that has build elements from the 1600s. The old back door from that period is now the door from the dining room to the kitchen.....I’m 5 foot 10 and if I forget to duck it takes off the top of my head.....I would not be surprised if doors in rural Russia were sometimes similar!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I'm not surprised Dave. It looks like they are even too small for your 15mm figs. I don't know how much work it would be, you might consider changing out the doors with something a little more to scale. Windows would be OK as is...just a thought. Rick H.

They are about 1.5mm too short Rick. I'd be worried if I was going to put figures on or in the buildings but as I'm not, I can live with that difference. I do wonder a little about why all of the 15mm scale buildings have doors which are too small. Maybe because the buildings themselves are small and correct doors would look out of scale.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Good enough Dave. I am afraid I'm going to be stuck with the more expensive 1/87 scale kits and I will just have to cut them up to make them look like ruins or bomb/artillery damaged...I did like the stone wall you posted but I just don't understand why they cast these buildings with such thick walls? Are the wargamers tossing them around like cast iron toys???

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
The next batch:

IMGP3646.JPG

Russian tanks developed a long way during WWI when you compare that little T-60 with the JSII and JSIII

IMGP3647.JPGIMGP3648.JPG

One for the AT experts. There's a Russian and German AT gun in that last picture (2nd and 4th from the left) which both share the same wheels and shield. Did both armies use the same guns or are Zvezda just trying to save on mould costs?

You'll notice that they're all still shiny. That's from the Klear coat to help with the decals. I can't weather and matt them until I know where they're going. I got another five in various stages of painting so they should be posted soon.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Dooohhh! Just noticed I didn't paint the tyres on the AT guns! Back to the bench with them!