JU-88 1/48 Dragon x2

T

treyzx10r

Thanks for all the positive commentsGang!

Ran into a mystery of sorts,this damage mysteriously appeared over the weekend. No explanation can be found as it was not near any heat source at all,very wierd,

View attachment 103236

No sense fretting over it,after I got over being angry I dove in and fixed it. I cut the rudder away and filed the edges flat on both surfaces. Then I added some sheet styrene cut to fit,then filled gaps and seams with thin ca. The surface still needed a little green putty and after a final sand and rescribe I reattached the rudder and primed the repair.

View attachment 103237

View attachment 103238

View attachment 103239

View attachment 103240

Now I can get bact to fitting the cable fender!

ju88fin%20rebuild%20001_zpsvqzihll4.jpg

ju88fin%20rebuild%20003_zpssvq80g8c.jpg

ju88fin%20rebuild%20005_zps07chxs2i.jpg

ju88fin%20rebuild%20006_zpspnjsvpof.jpg

ju88fin%20rebuild%20008_zpswjygrcly.jpg

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Ouch! Very nasty. Glad to see you fixed it though. Nice build so far. You should do a Bf 109F to go with it after this :D

John

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
Yes it's a mixed bag. When I did Jets I liked the Eduard 'Zoom Sets' for the cockpits, and depending on the model maybe an exhaust. Problem is I don't have a local model shop, so when you are buying a kit online you try to cut down on postage and get everything together, and with PE you very often are buying blind, and get disappointed.
When I did my EE Lightning, I bought a resin cockpit etc. etc. which wasn't cheap, and when you fitted the very small canopy everything in the cockpit was hidden - a big waste of money. Moral of the story - do your research first. Cheers Derek
Funny, I always like loading up my models with lots of scratchbuilding and resin with PE, although 50% of it isn't seen. It gives me a sense of satisfaction.... :D I really like getting Eduard sets and Aires cockpit sets as I always pose the canopy open.

John

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice fix Trey. That is weird damage! Almost looks like a hot nail or something like that was poked up into the fin from the rear. Anyway, looking good now it's all repaired.

T

treyzx10r

Found the culprit for the mystery damage,my magnifier! This time of year the Sun is at just the right angle to come in and hit the lens, will be keeping the drapes drawn until the afternoon from now on!

View attachment 103710

DAYTONA%20TICO%20002_zpsyegvnice.jpg

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

LOL! Magnifier.....

Truly an invisible vandal of models. Good to know you found him though :smiling3:

John

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
Thanks for all the positive commentsGang!
Ran into a mystery of sorts,this damage mysteriously appeared over the weekend. No explanation can be found as it was not near any heat source at all,very wierd,

View attachment 113390

No sense fretting over it,after I got over being angry I dove in and fixed it. I cut the rudder away and filed the edges flat on both surfaces. Then I added some sheet styrene cut to fit,then filled gaps and seams with thin ca. The surface still needed a little green putty and after a final sand and rescribe I reattached the rudder and primed the repair.

View attachment 113391

View attachment 113392

View attachment 113393

View attachment 113394

Now I can get bact to fitting the cable fender!
I probably would had got an aftermarket replacement or trashed it if that happened to me. Good to see you are sticking through this build.

John

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Found the culprit for the mystery damage,my magnifier! This time of year the Sun is at just the right angle to come in and hit the lens, will be keeping the drapes drawn until the afternoon from now on!
View attachment 113901
Your very lucky Trey that could've gone up in flames very easily.

But a great fix.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
As Ian said ...... It could have been a whole lot worse Trey ......... Damn good repair though.

Peter

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Excellent work ! great repair of solar attack :confused: must have had you going for a while til you figured it out ! Carry On ! Jim.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Yeah, lucky you didn;t have solvents or paint near that heat source Trey. A warning for us all there.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
That's looking A1 Trey. The cable fender does look flimsy. At least you didn't have to mask it :smiling3:

First Name
Dave
Paint looks reply good.I wouldn't trust myself with that cable cutter!.It would have to go on right at the end of the build if it was my model.