KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Part 1 here.
Part 2 here.
IMG_20221127_000401.jpg
Realised I have so many Spitfires I'm going to have to alternate between them with each build.
Another simple kit from Tamiya, they've a Mk.I in their line up which is a superior kit by all accounts but I've 4 of Eduard's Mk.I so I'll probably not get the Tamiya offering.
Eduard etch for the office again but apart from that straight from the box.

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
So I'll be buying Tamiyas Mk.I after all, bought the wrong PE.......
So that means this will be strictly OOB, which means no seatbelts, which means pilot figure getting used which means this will probably be wheels up.
Got to the point where the office is ready for paint, but considering I just spent 5 minutes looking for part x-18 before realising that was the paint call out I'm going to leave it here for tonight.
IMG_20221128_193121.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Quick work karl , no danger of those wings coming apart ! The ubiquitous old wooden clothes peg , ive got loads too and they get used on every build, either for clamping or holding little parts while theyre being sprayed.

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Quick work karl , no danger of those wings coming apart ! The ubiquitous old wooden clothes peg , ive got loads too and they get used on every build, either for clamping or holding little parts while theyre being sprayed.
To be honest they weren't needed......only in jest.

Reassembling them with the parts reversed makes them useful too.
IMG_20221204_150916.jpg

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Too cold in shed at the moment, heater only keeps it above the dew point to stop things getting rusty/damp.
Wings went on with tight fitting roots, minimal fettling at the seams and there's one small gap on the underside, Tamiya engineering ftw.
Started masking up the canopy, must remember the gun sight before I glue the rest on.
I had issues with the crystal clear I had been using on my last build, it seemed to not be holding at all so I used CA on that with no crazing. (Less is more.) So going with CA again here before trying on higher value kits.
Up and down to Dublin (3hrs each way.) a fair bit this week so don't know when I'll be back to the bench.
IMG_20221204_160637.jpg

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Another cold shed session, masked up and attached the canopy.
Burnished Tamiya tape down with a cocktail stick and cut with a fresh pointy scalpel blade. Decided Tamiyas white tape not great for this.
So just about ready for primer, black basing on this to give that "technique" a go I think.
IMG_20221209_202416.jpg

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Slow weekend due to tree going up and nativity costumes needing made. What happened to just wrapping a tea towel around the head?
Gear is only engineered to be down on this kit, so it took some butchery to get it closed up, I would like to say gentle modelling but it was butchery with a pair of cutters until it all fit.
IMG_20221211_115342.jpg

I then primed black and started layering up the medium sea grey on the underside.
IMG_20221211_122538.jpg
But lost the effect I was trying for, need to get closer and do finer lines I think.
IMG_20221211_123245.jpg

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Looking very nice there Karl :smiling3:
I hadn't seen this until now,those panel lines look pretty good to me..
... What's the bit you're not happy with?!

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Nice Karl I bought this kit last year I’ll be following along taking notes.

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Nice Karl I bought this kit last year I’ll be following along taking notes.
There's not much to it, if you want the pilot in you have to fettle with the throttle and gunsight, you can cut the door away and replace it with a kit supplied one to fully open the cockpit, the fences on the wings are a bit of a pain too. But it's another well engineered kit.

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
OK, so here was going to be a small SBS on how I use frisk film for masking........but I forgot to put my phone in my pocket when going out to the shed, and it was raining so I didn't go back for it so that will have to wait until next time.....
As will the pictures of my progress, camoflage done and gloss applied ready for decals. I may get this one finished this year, taking me to 7 completed kits for the year and only one shelf queen generated, though it's not really a shelf queen as it's still within reach of the bench.

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Started decaling, was hoping to have this finished before the new year but a bit of temporary deafness coupled with vertigo and kidney stones sort of kept me away.
There's a common complaint that Tamiya decals are a bit thick and on this you have to double up the roundels......
IMG_20230102_230618.jpg
Get a few more on before bed.

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
This is so close to being bucked in the bin........
9 goes with Micro-sol........nine!
And I still have to put another decal on top..........
Time to start cutting masks for roundels, really like the look of the dspiea (sp?) circle cutter, but it's not cheap.
IMG_20230111_205000.jpg

In lighter news I got the spinner and prop painted, the sky here is just a touch off from the sky lettering, but once it's weathered.......
IMG_20230111_210116.jpg