Karls RAF journey PT.3 Tamiya 1/48 Spitfire Mk.Vb

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
You can't bin that Karl!!
Apart from the obvious, which you've already pointed out,it looks pretty good to me , :smiling3:
Instead of all the cutting/messing about,why not get an "Extradecals" set?!..... They're pretty reasonable priced,and you'll have loads of other spares afterwards too. :smiling3:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
That's a pretty darn fine looking "waste" product Karl....might want to reconsider, being as how some of us believe you can pull this off with just a little more patience and craftiness. ;)

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
You can't bin that Karl!!
Apart from the obvious, which you've already pointed out,it looks pretty good to me , :smiling3:
Instead of all the cutting/messing about,why not get an "Extradecals" set?!..... They're pretty reasonable priced,and you'll have loads of other spares afterwards too. :smiling3:
That's a pretty darn fine looking "waste" product Karl....might want to reconsider, being as how some of us believe you can pull this off with just a little more patience and craftiness. ;)

Cheers guys, nearly for the bin, going to get finished though. Was going to go to the shed tonight but I don't think I'll make it in this weather. The hail was that hard we thought the front door was open.......

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks good Karl. I'm glad you did not stop the build because of the decals. Aftermarket decals are out there if you need them. Is it possible to layer more varnish over the affected areas once your decals are in place, and then lightly sand with an extremely fine sanding sponge? That would remove any edges and blend them into the model.

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
So despite the conditions in my shed tonight I did a bit more and am ready to spray clearcoat before weathering.
My decal-fu has really let me down on this, not usually an area I struggle with, even the rather large rather heavy decals on the F-15C I completed last year lay down for me.
Ah well, this is destined to become a weathering mule, definitely not for the cabinet. (I don't have a cabinet but if I did......)
So gloss coat, a slap of wash, then going to try these watercolour pencils to do some exhaust staining.
IMG_20230116_215848.jpg
IMG_20230116_220234.jpgIMG_20230116_220249.jpg
I really like these in flight bases, hope the guy makes some more.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
What the Hey Karl......almost a Spring day in the Man Cave compared to Montana USA........don't forget to wear your mittens while Airbrushing this baby. BTW, from what I've seen of it , it don't look half bad, not sure what's so displeasing about it , but You're the BOSS. :thumb2:

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
What the Hey Karl......almost a Spring day in the Man Cave compared to Montana USA........don't forget to wear your mittens while Airbrushing this baby. BTW, from what I've seen of it , it don't look half bad, not sure what's so displeasing about it , but You're the BOSS. :thumb2:
I'll actually get some "warts and all" pictures up, Tamiya opted for two part decals for the roundels and fin flashes on this, and the white base is quite heavy, then the coloured parts are almost translucent and thin. Getting the white to lay down was a chore, and then the finer coloured parts seperately around some high points allowing the white to show through. If I come across this again I'll use the white decals as templates for masking.
I'm sure it'll look alright on a shelf unless it's a modeller looking.

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
So I found this in my stuff, forgotten I had it so thought I would give it a go.
IMG_20230122_150305.jpg
It seems to have a bit more surface tension and beads up a bit more than the Flory stuff.
IMG_20230122_150311.jpg
Cleans off easily, but seems to come off a bit too easy, lifting out of panel lines that run in the direction you wipe, wiping at a slight angle should reduce this.
IMG_20230122_150456.jpg
All cleaned up and awaiting final touches.
IMG_20230122_151616.jpg

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
So I found this in my stuff, forgotten I had it so thought I would give it a go.
View attachment 472433
It seems to have a bit more surface tension and beads up a bit more than the Flory stuff.
View attachment 472434
Cleans off easily, but seems to come off a bit too easy, lifting out of panel lines that run in the direction you wipe, wiping at a slight angle should reduce this.
View attachment 472436
All cleaned up and awaiting final touches.
View attachment 472435
Yeah, looking good there Karl..
... However, I'm only now getting my head round actually tackling panel lines,and getting to grips with using the Flory stuff :smiling3: ...
.... I'm easily distracted/confused/bamboozled as it is... Don't go offering up more suggestions already mate !! ;)

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Yeah, looking good there Karl..
... However, I'm only now getting my head round actually tackling panel lines,and getting to grips with using the Flory stuff :smiling3: ...
.... I'm easily distracted/confused/bamboozled as it is... Don't go offering up more suggestions already mate !! ;)
Basically the same stuff, some technique.

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
So to show the decals, these are two part with a heavy white backing decal that goes down first, except it doesn't go down, it almost like a vinyl sticker, lots of sol used and then the colour added on top.
These colour parts are very fine, and as you can see from the walkway stencil, that I forgot to put down before the whites, quite translucent. They tore rather than settled around details, and this one actually tore and had to be put back together like a flappy jigsaw.
IMG_20230118_210413.jpg
This one went better, but still tore around the detail.
IMG_20230118_210441.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I do wish Tamiya would sort out their decals. They let down otherwise excellent kits. This is looking good despite the issues Karl. Not sure about that panel line wash though. It seems a bit hit and miss. Is the flory better in your opinion?

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
I do wish Tamiya would sort out their decals. They let down otherwise excellent kits. This is looking good despite the issues Karl. Not sure about that panel line wash though. It seems a bit hit and miss. Is the flory better in your opinion?
Aye, after limited use I would give Flory the edge.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I've read through your woes, but that last pic looks spot on. Nice job.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Missed this Karl, sorry. Just had a catch up. As Tim says Tamiya decals are not really fit for purpose which is a shame because their kits are often the best around. Even with the decal issues it's a nice build. Definitely looks the part. Far too good to give up on.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Dull coat applied and canopy masking removed then flying base firmly attached.
Just a few detailing bits to pick out then some staining with watercolour pencils.
View attachment 472455
Yep,gotta agree with the guys...
... Despite The decal problem,the rest of the build certainly rescued it and it looks great :smiling3:

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Playing with AK weathering pencils, trying to add exhaust staining, a bit subtle at the moment maybe?
IMG_20230211_213628.jpg

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Playing with AK weathering pencils, trying to add exhaust staining, a bit subtle at the moment maybe?
View attachment 474071
Not sure Karl.... I don't suppose there is a right amount really?... different hours flying time,and different "approaches" by ground crews would contribute to the level visible I would think?!