Langy's, Academy 1/48 Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Chris that Black Nose is starting to make it look like a Zero for sure and liking the base color very nice.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Great work Chris. That Academy kit has a lot of nice detail. I admire your perseverance with the colour. Many, well ok me, might have just settled for 'close enough'.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
What began as a quick 'I'll put the common marking decals on' quickly became a longer full decal session,

I've gotta say I'm impressed with the Academy decals on this kit, they're perfectly registered, micro thin and lay down perfectly.. with only a bare waft of micro set.... no need for anything stronger... they settle brilliantly into all the panel details so weathering the lines should be a breeze.. Ithink I counted somewhere in the region of 50 plus decals on this all in.....

IMG_8245.jpg

IMG_8246.jpg

IMG_8247.jpg

IMG_8248.jpg

IMG_8249.jpg

IMG_8250.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks fantastic chris , the decals have really got into all the detail havent they. The decals on my Tamiya zero arent quite as comprehensive ,theyre missing the red fuel filler circles for example , but I can use yours for reference and add my own , cheers tony

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
So, here we are again, and a tiny update, spent most of the morning doing touch ups on detail parts...
Oh and she did fall in to a pot of Flory Dark Wash... after a bit of clean up she came out looking like this... (not bad for saying there's at least four coats of paint and 'varnish' on this....)..

Now to source, a standing Japanese pilot, some wooden coffee stirrers, some plasticard and a tiny touch of weathering...

IMG_8251.jpg

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
The Flory Wash did the trick!..... might have to get me some. :thumb2:

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
The Flory Wash did the trick!..... might have to get me some. :thumb2:
I would highly recommend it Rick, the stuff is pure brilliance in a bottle, and unlike loads of other magic potions out there, there's no special procedure to it, you just slap in on leave it to dry 10 /15 mins and wipe a damp bit of paper towel across it to remove the excess..

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks for that Chris....if it's available in the States I'll land me a supply.....does it come in different colors?

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Thanks for that Chris....if it's available in the States I'll land me a supply.....does it come in different colors?
yes mate, have a look at this...

Flory Weathering Wash,

I use the Weathering wash, although he has created some newer ones called 'Thick Weathering Wash'...haven't tried those yet, and It would appear he ships to the rest of the world..

and Just found the US stockist..

Flory Washes (USA)

Last edited:

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Nothing to add to this today as I'm jetting off to Kefalonia in the greek isles @ 03.30 tomorrow morning, so have fun guys and I'll catch ya on the flip side... ;)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking very nice indeed. Must try the flory stuff myself one day…..got to be better than oils (dry far too slowly) and acrylic (dries far too fast)…….

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
quick update ...I haven't forgotten about this build, hoping to make some progress over the next few days..(mojo sap and waiting for some additions to arrive).....