Lick o' paint

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
This was supposed to be a quick build & paint job but after a flash of inspiration I'm going to make a little scene out of it.

It's a Tamiya 1/35 Kubelwagen, and according to the instructions these could come from the factory in grey, then get painted yellow out in the field. So after a bit of a think I'm going for a vehicle that received a quick Friday afternoon blow over when it arrived and the paint has suffered badly, so it's getting another lick of paint to freshen it up.

The build itself was typically unremarkable although I've strayed from the instructions by keeping the body separate from the floor/chassis for now to make painting easier. After assembly everything got a coat of Mr Color German grey, highlighted with their neutral grey, then a couple of coats of gloss varnish to give a sturdy finish.

2023-04-18 18.10.11.jpg

A few coats of AK worn effects were added (I'm hoping it gives me better results than my usual hairspray) then I mixed up something that looked like a bleached / faded dunkelgelb from AK acrylics and sprayed that on lightly.

2023-04-19 16.33.29.jpg

I then set about it with some water and various implements to start the wearing process off with some heavy chipping. Once it's fully dry tomorrow I'll hit it gently with some fine sandpaper to take the yellow down even more, (hopefully) giving the effect that the field applied colour has worn badly. It'll soften the rough chipping job too (again, hopefully :tears-of-joy: )

2023-04-19 18.51.40.jpg
2023-04-19 18.51.32.jpg

Then of course we'll need a hapless hero to apply the fresh paint. I found this guy lurking in my old garage workshop diorama and thought he was due a promotion. The paint stripped off easily in my usual meths bath but Mr Primer Surfacer is proving stubborn stuff!
2023-04-19 16.40.09.jpg
I lopped off his forearm to add a pin

2023-04-19 16.52.07.jpg

Then repositioned it (needs a bit of filler & shaping)

2023-04-19 17.04.12.jpg

Then made him a spray gun by modifying a blow torch from the same old diorama, moving the pot forward (attached with a metal pin), adding a nozzle and fitting a handle. It was far too flimsy to survive so I've cemented it into his hand and will thicken up the handle and add a hose later.

2023-04-19 19.24.44.jpg

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
This was supposed to be a quick build & paint job but after a flash of inspiration I'm going to make a little scene out of it.

It's a Tamiya 1/35 Kubelwagen, and according to the instructions these could come from the factory in grey, then get painted yellow out in the field. So after a bit of a think I'm going for a vehicle that received a quick Friday afternoon blow over when it arrived and the paint has suffered badly, so it's getting another lick of paint to freshen it up.

The build itself was typically unremarkable although I've strayed from the instructions by keeping the body separate from the floor/chassis for now to make painting easier. After assembly everything got a coat of Mr Color German grey, highlighted with their neutral grey, then a couple of coats of gloss varnish to give a sturdy finish.

View attachment 479697

A few coats of AK worn effects were added (I'm hoping it gives me better results than my usual hairspray) then I mixed up something that looked like a bleached / faded dunkelgelb from AK acrylics and sprayed that on lightly.

View attachment 479698

I then set about it with some water and various implements to start the wearing process off with some heavy chipping. Once it's fully dry tomorrow I'll hit it gently with some fine sandpaper to take the yellow down even more, (hopefully) giving the effect that the field applied colour has worn badly. It'll soften the rough chipping job too (again, hopefully :tears-of-joy: )

View attachment 479699
View attachment 479700

Then of course we'll need a hapless hero to apply the fresh paint. I found this guy lurking in my old garage workshop diorama and thought he was due a promotion. The paint stripped off easily in my usual meths bath but Mr Primer Surfacer is proving stubborn stuff!
View attachment 479701
I lopped off his forearm to add a pin

View attachment 479702

Then repositioned it (needs a bit of filler & shaping)

View attachment 479703

Then made him a spray gun by modifying a blow torch from the same old diorama, moving the pot forward (attached with a metal pin), adding a nozzle and fitting a handle. It was far too flimsy to survive so I've cemented it into his hand and will thicken up the handle and add a hose later.

View attachment 479704

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Nice idea Andy :smiling3:
For a 1/35 vehicle they're rather tiny aren't they?!
Your workman chappy looks perfect the role... I look forward to watching this coming together ;)

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Yes Andy, I expected it to be a quickie given its size but it seems not now :smiling5:

Thank Allen. I've a very long way to go before I can rub shoulders with those two surgeons but every journey starts with a first step and they certainly inspired me to put my walking boots on. :thumb2:

Last edited:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Andy, lovely Kubelwagen chipping and figure mods. The spray gun looks like it can actually work...nice scratchery there simple and relevant. Anyone who does surgery is one of us Frankensteins:smiling6:, the more the merrier and it's not difficult if you're not squeamish.

Cheers,
Wabble

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Richard. I don't have the staying power for your kind of large and highly detailed diorama but I do enjoy putting these little scenes together.

I'm wondering whether I can manage to scribe the SATA logo onto the gun. I'm sure it would be the German Army's weapon of choice :smiling5:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Andy I'm another that thinks it's fab, and that spray gun looks so real .
Here a chop, there a chop , everywhere a chop chop !
Front row, but not to near for safety's sake .

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
A great idea Andy. I like that AK Worn Effects, much more controllable than hair spray. The figure and the spray gun are really nice.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Neil. Is it weird that I found sawing a limb off oddly satisfying?

John, thankfully I had many years of experience holding them in my hand to draw off.

Jim, yes I found it easier to work with than hairspray, although I'm planning to make the vehicle even more gnarly to warrant the fresh paint job.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks very much gents :smiling4:

Looking at the weather this morning I'll probably get some more work done on this today, maybe even starting the base.