SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Tim and Richard.

I got the sprayers right eye first go, then that's the best of 5 attempts at his left :smiling5:

The other guy actually has a hole / sink mark where one of his eyes should be so it gave me an excuse not to bother!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks Tim and Richard.

I got the sprayers right eye first go, then that's the best of 5 attempts at his left :smiling5:
!
Something worth trying is turning the figure upside down. For some reason the left eye is more difficult if you are right handed. If you invert the little chap the left eye becomes the right, making it easier…..

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Great work on the figures. Poses are good. I've given up on eyes but as any figures I do are part of a dio and not stand alone they serve their purpose.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great work andy , the kubelwagen looks excellent and the figures are super , loving the surgery on the sprayer. How does the AK worn effects work , is it similar to the hairspray technique ? ie. Just spray it on then go over with the colour and scrub off after for the chipped effect ?

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Tim, as a leftie you would have thought I'd find the left one easier then. Will give it a shot on the next one though thanks.

Thanks Jim. They'll both have their backs to the main viewing angle too so even better :smiling4:

Thanks Tony, and yes, exactly the same as hairspray really. I find it a bit easier to control than from a can, and decanted hairspray makes my airbrush a bit sticky, but the worn effects just has an appearance of slightly soapy water.

Doesn't make the shed smell like a tarts boudoir either :smiling5:

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Didn't get as much done on this as I'd hoped, but more on that later.

I've changed plan a bit and it's going to have had a replacement door, shipped from the factory in grey. Here's me mulling around with the layout a bit showing the compressor which I've taken from an old dio and repainted, sat on a pallet I've made out of balsa.

2023-04-23 18.05.56.jpg

Obviously there's more stuff to add, but I'm just trying to get the general layout sorted before cutting foam.

The reason I've not made much progress is that I've been distracted by this:

2527.jpg

It looked really cool & wacky when I ordered it but upon opening the box I was really disappointed. Very badly cast, nothing fits, and some of the pieces are fit for nothing more than the bin!

I've put some hours in cleaning the bigger parts up, cutting & shaving to make things fit, even chopping, pinning and repositioning the drivers arm but it's still not looking great. I've put it to one side for now until I can give it more focus, maybe scratching some of the useless parts which should be fun on a white metal, 28mm scale piece :flushed:

2023-04-23 16.03.55.jpg

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Pity about that new kit Andy .
Certainly like the idea of the new door .

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks John.

Not much progress but plodding along steadily.

Base has had some texture added and I've started painting up a few miscellaneous items to add in. The "masking blankets" need more work. I'm trying to add a bit of a textured look with the paint but it's my first time so anything could happen :smiling5:

2023-04-25 19.14.05.jpg

2023-04-25 19.14.17.jpg

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Thanks John.

Not much progress but plodding along steadily.

Base has had some texture added and I've started painting up a few miscellaneous items to add in. The "masking blankets" need more work. I'm trying to add a bit of a textured look with the paint but it's my first time so anything could happen :smiling5:

View attachment 480059

View attachment 480060
Liking that, a lot!! Excellent work - the half sprayed door - perfect.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Doug.

Obviously deliberately painted in a less faded version of the colour, and whilst the camera hasn't really picked it up it's gloss as well to imitate still being wet :smiling3:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Looks very good Andy. Great idea to have the door being sprayed. Little touches like the wet, unfaded paint really raise this to the next level.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That half painted door is a brilliant idea. Perhaps a close up showing the gloss if you can please Andy .

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thank you all for the kind words.

Jim, I see so many amazing diorama here it inspires me to try a bit harder each time.

John, I'll try and catch one in the morning.

Thanks Paul

Andy - is it the sloppy masking and poor colour match that gives it away? :smiling5: