Master Box 1/35 US. 101st Paratroopers. France 1944....and a soul in need.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
P1370913.JPG

One set of the above.

Excellent sculpting. Why folks change heads on some figures is beyond me. Rather like aftermarket and P.E., it's a must do, I guess.

A bit sparse in clobber, so I intend to add 'Things' from my bag of spare goodies and also make some too.

P1370914.JPG

P1370910.JPG

P1370908.JPG

P1370909.JPG

Made a start on a figure. He's even got a fag!
P1370916.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
They look some very nice figures. The faces look excellent. Some plastic figures, especially some older ones, do have faces which are pretty hopeless and changing them for a nice resin head is a good idea. These however look really well detailed and should paint up nicely.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps.

Best lay my table out before this build progresses much further......
If any of my good buddies here on S.M. are hoping to see a set of accurate, pristine, parade ground figures, forget it. ;)

I just can't do 'Squeaky Clean' military ow't!

Paratroopers will have jumped from an aircraft, in the dark and being shot at from the ground. Have landed in water, ditches, mud, cow s***, thorn bushes, trees, house and church roofs, who knows what. Haven't a real clue where they are. Are dodging a determined enemy who is trying to kill them and have hidden in anything to avoid such a fate. They have, as yet, no transport and are trying to find their mates.
This is how I see these chaps. Scruffy, but ready for anything....

i will probably be sticking on non- standard stuff too. Paratroopers are usually surrounded by enemy troops and initially would have to live off their wits, scrounge and nick what kit or food comes their way........

Also, the figures are to be viewed ( should you wish) from a reasonable scale distance. So if you are one of those rare creatures who insist on zooming in on finished and possibly inaccurate
models, for the sake of your own sanity, please by-pass this build.

I think that just about covers the reason for any apparent appalling paintwork that could well materialize during the build.

I thank you.

Richard Winters. 101st Airborne. D.S.O., Bronze Star Medal(2), Purple Heart, Croix De Guerre (France), Croix De Guerre (Belgium)

Last edited:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
An interesting introduction to the build, I shall sit and ponder.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps.

After a pleasant day or so, here are the stuck together figures.

P1370921.JPG

Just look at the baby's face. So small......Cracking bit of sculpting.
P1370923.JPG

Great fit, with very little cleaning up, mainly very faint seam lines. There are even little indents sculpted into the plastic to allow for perfect position of arms and elbows resting on thighs and the like.....

I appreciate folks have their own method, but this tip might help anyone making these type of figure up for the first time.....
I glue all the bits of the figure together in one go. Wait a few minutes, then whilst the joints are still workable, I loose fit any add-ons, such as weapons and manipulate the figure to it's final natural position. This I find is the easiest way (for me) to go about the construction.

Next, I'll pick one figure out and work it to a completion.

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I appreciate folks have their own method, but this tip might help anyone making these type of figure up for the first time.....
I glue all the bits of the figure together in one go. Wait a few minutes, then whilst the joints are still workable, I loose fit any add-ons, such as weapons and manipulate the figure to it's final natural position. This I find is the easiest way (for me) to go about the construction.
Fully agree with the italic and underlined part Ron. That’s exactly how I assemble my little blokes, using Contacta because it gives more working time and fills any small gaps. These are looking good, by the way.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
With faces as good as those I can see why you don't consider any aftermarket 570 .

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the feedback boys. :thumb2:

I am very impressed with the standard of these offerings. I've had a look at earlier figures from M.B. that I have built, and these have deffo. been 're- tooled', particularly the faces.

Answer to stupid question No.22....

It seems to me, 'Big Box', you have been submitting too many of your crosswords to 'Lesser Quality' newspapers. As a result you have lost the power of simple logic. Hence your ludicrous question.

First off, and I realise this will come as a shock to your usually faultless and amazing powers of observation, but not all are sitting.....
The soldiers have no choice in the manner of their posture. They are not actually sitting, but being supported. Apart from one paratrooper and the tanker, the others are stuck in that position due to a condition called '90 Degree Twice', so called because of the shape of the posture.
This (at the time an unknown phenomenon) is caused by prolonged sitting in aircraft and wearing very heavy kit. It is only suffered by Paratroopers and Ryan Air Passengers.
The effect can last for days. Unfortunately the photograph you refer to was taken by a rather over enthusiastic cameraman who couldn't wait for the soldiers to straighten up.

Before you make any further daft observations on the subject, may I suggest you read (If you can) 'How to straighten up in 10 seconds' by the well known author R. Sklenchin Tytlee.

You will be glad to read, it is available in plywood pages.

22/1

Last edited:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I'm so glad you're here to explain all these technical issues Ron. I must confess I'd never heard of '90 Degree Twice' before. That's what you get from studying Maths instead of something useful like physiology.

I must also confess I've never been a paratrooper or flown with Ryan Air either. In fact I've never been inside an aircraft at all and while that's no excuse for my ignorance, it does go some way towards explaining it.

Thank you for taking the time to produce such a detailed clarification of the issues involved.

Meanwhile, I will try to get hold of the publication you recommend, but I may need to consult with you should I encounter any long words it contains.

It is a constant source of amazement to me the sheer volume of information and knowledge I am getting during my time on this wonderful forum. It is surely only a matter of time before some of the topics discussed come up in the pub quiz I attend every fortnight - even though some of it is quite esoteric in nature.

I only hope you good folks don't get fed up of all the stupid questions I throw your way.

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dave, I've heard that no question is stupid. On the other hand some of the answers on here definitely fall under that heading. Stupid but brilliant. :smiling3: .
John.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
I've never Jumped out of a perfectly good aircraft before, couldn't see the sense in it...
I have however jumped out of the closest thing the army had to an aircraft 'the Helibedford', whilst carrying a full loaded bergan, rifle and all the other associated kit that squaddies seem to have to lug around,

I must say after I'd picked myself up and checked to see if my ankle bones weren't now sitting alongside my 'pods', and thought 'good god that hurt'.... I vowed never to jump out of a vehicle carrying full kit again...

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've never Jumped out of a perfectly good aircraft before, couldn't see the sense in it...
I have however jumped out of the closest thing the army had to an aircraft 'the Helibedford', whilst carrying a full loaded bergan, rifle and all the other associated kit that squaddies seem to have to lug around,

I must say after I'd picked myself up and checked to see if my ankle bones weren't now sitting alongside my 'pods', and thought 'good god that hurt'.... I vowed never to jump out of a vehicle carrying full kit again...
They are not 'perfectly good aircraft '- they are noisy, smelly, uncomfortable, possessed of (less than) rudimentary comfort facilities, AND what's more , the cabin staff are (without exception) nowhere near as attractive as on other airlines! If I may make so bold this sounds like sour grapes from a disgruntled 'hat'! :cool:
Steve

Last edited:

Strenko J

Faithful rabble apprentice
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Taking a seat in the back to watch. You are off to a great start. I’ve always wanted to add this to my stash however the stash is already overflowing