Merlin 1/48 Helicopter : Afganistan Mode

L

Laurie

Massive effort for me and the first model with detailed weathering.

Very nice model to build and well done Airfix. Some very intricate pieces which seem to defy on first look going together but 95% did without any major problem. The cockpit was a problem and I think all builders would have problems here one way or another. But they are solvable.

Antennae on the front suffered war damage during photography.

Laurie

View attachment 93567

View attachment 93568

View attachment 93569

View attachment 93570

View attachment 93571

View attachment 93572

View attachment 93573

View attachment 93574

View attachment 93575

View attachment 93576

View attachment 93577

View attachment 93578

View attachment 93579

View attachment 93580

16.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

First Name
john
Choppers are not my usual thing Laurie but it as to be said your merlin looks magic. nicely done and displayed backdrop really brings the scene to life well done

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Outstanding work Laurie, this took some time to build but was well worth it. That last picture looks real! Great modelling all round.

Si:smiling3:

N

noble

Excellent work Laurie the back drop is fantastic and really shows the merlin off.

scott

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well it was a battle, what with all the issues with the canopy and the cockpit, but it has turned out exceptionally well. Great work Laurie.

Gong well earned.

Good base as well.

Ian M

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Beautiful.

PS I know what you mean by war damage during photography. My scout ship suffered the same problem. That great, clumsy oaf Kay Tee bumped into it when I was trying to get him to pose for his photo!

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Excellent work Laurie ,real like the back drop is fantastic and really shows the merlin off,and do like the use

of the led,s as well ,very nice all round , :D

C

Caledonia

Superb work Laurie, you managed to capture the dusty atmosphere exactly, internal lighting an added bonus. Derek

P

Polux

This is a great build Laurie. Magnificent in all the senses. And the light is the perfect touch ;)

Cheers

Polux

L

Laurie

Thank for all your thoughts very nice of you.

Thanks Derek for your help along the way. I used all the info you gave me with some dollops of "Laurie" input. I also found my way or was it pushed by what I wanted to achieve into airbrushing on level 2. Never imagined I would be airbrushing 5mm from the model with an air pressure of 6psi. All the weathering was in Life Colour mixed with Vallejo glaze Medium. Also entailed huge moments of drastic frustration including using Vallejo thinners next morning to remove much disappointed work of the night before. :smiling3:

Thanks to you all it does mean a lot.

Laurie

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Ooh, I do like the lighting!

Nice touch! :smiling3:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Beautifully done Laurie. A marathon build which has resulted in a top model. Very nicely presented and photographed also. The lighting turned out nicely, gives a nice effect in the low light. Great build.

D

Dazaiki

Wow excellent, definitely a model on my wishlist . More so after seeing yours. Think I'll give it a while until my experience level builds up to do it that kind of justice.

So what's next ? Lol I'm looking at the sh-60 seahawk . Not to sure yet some reviews say the canopy is a pain seem to be a theme for helicopters.

I would be non the wiser you had issues if you hadn't mentioned it .

Daz

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Great one Laurie. Brilliant 'dusty' weathering and the paint is particularly top notch.

Colin M............

Peej

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great build Laurie. Love it all! :D