Merlin 1/48 Helicopter : Afganistan Mode

S

steve scan

Laurie, so good to see this at last, and well worth it, fantastic, well done.

D

dubster72

It took a while to reach the finishing line Laurie, but it was worth the wait! A fine example of a Merlin & although I've never built a Helix, this has got me wanting to!

L

Laurie

Thanks for your suggestions along the way Patrick. Regret(or not) avoided (seriously thought though) oil paint but used some oil technics but with acrylics and learnt a lot.

Forgot to mention if any one is interested that I did a go as you build thing http://www.scale-models.co.uk/community/threads/merlin-hc3-airfix-1-48-afganistan.19993/. Not very good but shows the complexity of this craft.

Does not show on the finished model but the fuselage is actually an inner shell and an outer shell.

Laurie

0ne48thtel

Laurie there is nothing I can add to what has already been said this build is worth every gong you will get for it.

Z

Ziper_it

Very good Laurie with an excellent finishing!

Atmosphere created by the lights is very good.

Francesco

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
That bottom left picture. If that was a model, some (not me) would say the panel lines were over emphasised !!

L

Laurie

\ said:
That bottom left picture. If that was a model, some (not me) would say the panel lines were over emphasised !!
That was a problem I had Colin. How far do you go ? If I had completed the model without the benefit of the above pictures for reference I would have said I had gone over the top with my finished Merlin. So I toned it down although it is fair to say I think I would have struggled to get that effect in the above photos.

Interesting as I had to do a lot of digging to find these photos of distressed Merlins. All the RAF Merlins of pictures in Afghanistan look pristine. I suppose it is keeping up appearances. Also add that I did find some worse than this but did not bother to keep a file of them.

Laurie

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
That was a problem I had Colin. How far do you go ? If I had completed the model without the benefit of the above pictures for reference I would have said I had gone over the top with my finished Merlin. So I toned it down although it is fair to say I think I would have struggled to get that effect in the above photos.Interesting as I had to do a lot of digging to find these photos of distressed Merlins. All the RAF Merlins of pictures in Afghanistan look pristine. I suppose it is keeping up appearances. Also add that I did find some worse than this but did not bother to keep a file of them.

Laurie
Well I think you know me Laurie, I go for the dirt and grime look (nearly) every time. But I do understand about keeping up appearances.

D

Deleted member 3568

Great work there Laurie loving the lighting too