Monogram 1/48 Kingfisher

First Name
Dave
View attachment 28537View attachment 28538View attachment 28539View attachment 28540View attachment 28541

Just made a start on my next project whilst i wait for the paint to dry on an FW190.This kit is another old Monogram one (1967 molded on the lower wing).Its of the Vought 0-S2U Kingfisher.Originally designed as observation aircraft, they also handled such diverse duties as rescue,reconaissance and anti-submarine missions.In their primary role they were responsible for directing that accompanied allied troop landings in the European and Pacific theatres of war.The kit is moulded in dark blue plastic so will need a few coats of primer as the underside will be painted white.I've already made a start rescribing some detail.This is a lot easier to do before assembly starts.This kit is a re-issue under the 'High Tech' lable dating from 1993,which is probably when i bought it.The only extras supplied over the standard kit is a small fret of photo etch parts.Some of these look over scale to me ,so i won't be using all of them.In the box i found a 'Squadron' vacuform canopy which i must have bought at the same time.As you can see from the photo's the kit supplied canopies are superb for the time and in my opinion well up to modern standards.So i probably won't bother with the Squadron item

View attachment 34096

View attachment 34097

View attachment 34098

View attachment 34099

View attachment 34100

IMG_0305.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

First Name
Mike
Looking forward to this Dave, having built the Airfix 1/72 kit last year. Looks like a nice kit in the box and should look superb when you've rescribed it.

T

treyzx10r

Wow that takes me back,had that very kit myself. I'm looking forward to seeing it come together Dave

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi dave, ill be watching this one, i love these old monogram kits. This one looks like the FW190 as far as interior detail goes (ie. not much!!) and very similar to the 1/48 tbd avenger i picked up at cosford for £3 !, in fact the plastics the same colour too!Im confident its going to be a super build if your typhoon is anything to go by. cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Interesting kit and great box art.They don't make them like this anymore.

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Dave
View attachment 28895View attachment 28894View attachment 28893View attachment 28892View attachment 28891View attachment 28890

Made a bit of progress.Not sure about the interior colour but as its an American aircraft kitted by an American company i assumed yellow chromate would be the correct colour.I tried painting the moulded on seat belts and have made a pigs ear of it.So i've emailed John to see if he sells the Eduard prepainted items.I've added the PE parts to the rear gunners gun and tits a real improvement over the basic plastic parts.I've also run a razor saw down the centre of the one piece gun handle.A simple thing to do but makes a difference i think.Just need to clean up the joins and scribe lines next.I've drilled both ends of the pilots gunsight and will put a blob of clear stuff in both ends when the model is finished.

View attachment 34402

View attachment 34403

View attachment 34404

View attachment 34405

View attachment 34406

View attachment 34407

IMG_0335.jpg

IMG_0350.jpg

IMG_0347.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg

IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0349.jpg

First Name
Dave
Forgot to say the interior colour is as per the kit instructions.

T

treyzx10r

Think you're fine with the zinc it looks correct,the gun detail is awesome

First Name
Dave
Thanks Trey.I've just ordered some Eduard prepainted PE seat belts from Hannants here in the UK.Will use them to replace my poor atempt at painting the moulded on detail.They look really good on the web site.I've ordered British,Luftwaffe & American belts.Will post some photo's when i get them as some members might not have seen them. Should get them tomorrow hopefully.

First Name
Dave
Not heard of those.Are they the ones that have to be assembled?.Do they do them in1/48 or only in the larger scales?.

M

msm2

Have to be assembled and they do them in 1/32 and 1/48 scale.

Hannants - Plastic model kits and accessories

First Name
Dave
Just looked on their web site and answered my own question!.I rember now,they arebthe ones stona used in his TA152.Looks a good product.

L

Lancasterb1

Dave

I would just like to say that you have a great kit there, I do not know what it is but sometimes I love the challange of the old kits, like we have discussed on the !/32 G4NF thread. It seems to be coming on and what did make me smile if the instructions on one of your photographs showing which colours to paint are exactly like the Revell?Monogram 1/48 B-17 G I am building. This is supposed to be a new kit, but I think a re-iisue may be the call. Good luck with this build I like the look of all you have done so far :smile1:

Andy

First Name
Dave
View attachment 29042View attachment 29041View attachment 29040View attachment 29039View attachment 29038View attachment 29037

I've made a bit more progress.I sanded off the moulded on seat belts and replaced them with some Eduard prepainted PE items.I really like these belts and have bought a set of RAf and Luftwaffe items as well,although they are very fiddley to put together.Not happy with the interior as i feel i've made a bit of a mess of the painting.I was going to leave the canopies open but may close them now.I've added the PE counter balance weights to the prop and it should look pretty good when painted.Managed to lose the PE gun sight some how.It will be somewhere in my shed and on past experience will probably turn up sometime after the model is finished!.I've done all the rescribing i intend doing.Next step is to spray some primer on.

View attachment 34500

View attachment 34501

View attachment 34502

View attachment 34503

View attachment 34504

View attachment 34505

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0365.jpg

IMG_0372.jpg

IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0361.jpg

IMG_0373.jpg

First Name
Dave
Not sure what colour the canopy framing would be on the inside.Im going to go with yellow chromate as thats the colour of the rest of the interior.found some photos of Kingfishers on the internet but cant tell the colour from them.With hindsight i wish id used interior green.Still,it will look ok through closed canopies.

First Name
Mike
It's looking very nice so far Dave, those Eduard belts make a big difference. I wish they were a bit more malleable but they really enhance a seat. The actual interior colour of early Kingfishers was Bronze Green, later changed to Dull Dark Green.

First Name
Dave
Thanks mike.I thought id probably chosen the wrong colour.I went with the Monogram instructions as i didnt have any other info.Just have to leave it as it is.Im not at all happy with my interior painting on this one.As i said early closed canopies should hide the worst of it.hopefully i can save this build with a good exterior paint job.

First Name
Mike
I don't think it'll matter one iota once the canopy is on; if anything else the lighter colour wil at least make the interior detail more visible through the glass.