Monogram 1/48 Kingfisher

First Name
Dave
View attachment 29110View attachment 29109View attachment 29108View attachment 29107

I've just finished masking and fitting the canopies.Should just about hide my badly painted interior. PE parts are provided for the centre float bracing wires.I put one on but thought it looked unrealistick. So i removed it and made some braces from some wire i had in my shed.The PE fret has some minute steps and hand holds.I opted to use the plastic steps supplied with the kit as the PE items were to thin and flat looking.I managed to get one handle on the front end of the float but gave up with the others as they are just too small.I need some faster setting superglue to fit parts this small in future.Im currently using good quality superglue gel to attach PE parts (GEL,because it doesnt run all over the model).But i find it almost imposible to open the tweezers without moving the part.

View attachment 34559

View attachment 34560

View attachment 34561

View attachment 34562

IMG_0376.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

A

AJay

Looking great, Dave. I love float planes and this one's going to be interesting. I love the belts and the photo etched parts you've added. Do you have the, 'OS2U Kingfisher in Action' book? If you don't, and need any refs or info, let me know and I can look stuff up if needs be or email photos. Cheers, Alex

First Name
Dave
Thanks Alex.Ive got around a dozen of the Squadron/Signal in action books,but i dont have the one for the Kingfisher.A few photos would be useful.Too late for the interior but i would be grateful for a few exterior pics to help with painting if you have them.Going to do this one as a US Navy aircraft in a white,itermediate blue,dark blue colour scheme.

A

AJay

Okay, no probs. PM me your email address and I'll send some over.

A

AJay

Dave, sent some stuff through to you last night. Hope it's useful.

First Name
Dave
Thanks very much.Am at work and server will not download to my iphone for some reason.Will look on my home computer tonight.Thanks again

First Name
Dave
My iphone has just decided to download your photos and profiles.The Russian one looks interesting.Didnt know they used these aircraft.Some usefull details there.Like the head on shot with a well weathered prop.Thanks again Alex.

First Name
Dave
View attachment 29160View attachment 29159View attachment 29162

A bit more progress made.I.ve painted the canopy frames with the same 'Testors' enamel yellow chromate i used on the interior (wrong colour as it turns out!).Once the topcoat of dark blue is on this should simulate the interior yellow framework of the canopies.As you can see i've then given the entire model a couple of coats of white primer.I'm off to Bluewater tomorrow evening to do some shopping with the wife.There's a 'Modelzone' shop there so i will go in and see if they've got any FS35045 Dark Blue ffor the upper surfaces.This is Humbrol 104 according to a chart i've seen on the interweb.I will pick up some new brushes as well and no doubt a kit will fall into my shopping basket!.One of the members (Ajay) emailed some interesting pictures of Kingfishers to me which will be usefull painting references.

View attachment 34607

View attachment 34608

View attachment 34610

IMG_0384.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg

First Name
Dave
View attachment 29192View attachment 29191View attachment 29190View attachment 29189View attachment 29188

Thought i would share with everyone some photo's and profiles kindly emailed to me by one of our members Alex (Ajay).As an aircraft engineer i particularly like the head on shot of the Kingfisher with the unofficial extended wingtip modification!.These days you can't so much as change a bolt without authorisation and the correct paperwork.Not much progress to report on the build as i went shopping with the wife this evening.Just had time when i got home to airbrush some more white paint on the underside of the model.

View attachment 34636

View attachment 34637

View attachment 34638

View attachment 34639

View attachment 34640

IMG_0388.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

IMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0385.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg

T

treyzx10r

Looking great Dave! I would'nt worry about the interior color if you're leaving the canopies closed up, if not you could try a wash to tone down the zinc a bit.

First Name
Dave
View attachment 29560View attachment 29559View attachment 29561

Done a bit of airbrushing the last few days.After painting the model white,i masked off the undersides and painted the top of the wings and horizontal stabilizers dark blue.These areas were then masked and the intermediate blue sprayed on.All masking removed now.Tomorrow i will mask it again and spray the top half of the fuselage dark blue.It looks a bit odd because i used Humbrol enamel matt white and dark blue with Xtracolour enamel intermediate blue which is gloss.Will look ok when ive given the whole model a few coats of clear gloss varnish.I wont be using Klear floor polish as ive tried it and dont like it .Anyway,someone's got to buck the trend i suppose.

View attachment 34787

View attachment 34788

View attachment 34789

IMG_0401.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

First Name
Dave
View attachment 30058View attachment 30057View attachment 30056View attachment 30055View attachment 30054View attachment 30053View attachment 30052View attachment 30051

Well, i've finally finished it.The canopy frames did'nt turn out as well as they usually do for me.But i'm going to leave it alone as on past experience i will only make it worse if i try to re-do it.The decals are the kit originals, except for the fuselage stars n bars which were from the spares box.The Monogram decals were thick and glossy but went on ok with microsol and microset.After giving the model a wash with Florymodels dark dirt i sealed everything with a coat of Vallejo Matt Clear.I know i've mentioned it before,but the Vallejo product is brilliant in my opinion.Perfect finish everytime and seemingly idiot proof.Just got to add the antenna wire when i get some more fishing line.Not a perfect build but i'm reasonably happy with it.

View attachment 35259

View attachment 35260

View attachment 35261

View attachment 35262

View attachment 35263

View attachment 35264

View attachment 35265

View attachment 35266

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0416.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0413.jpg

S

Sky Raider

A fantastic final result, looks stunning. I watched Dave Platt build a 1/4 scale King Fisher for exhibit in the Toledo Show that got him a second place. His let down according to the judges was the docs, knowing Dave and his own capacity to judge these shows... i would say the he was right and the judge had it wrong on this occassion. A beutiful looking plane.

Well done

Andy

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You made a nice job of that Dave. Well done!

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I agree,a lovely job.

Cheers

Steve