Monogram 1:72 Convair B-36 Peacemaker

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
So, I've made a bit of a start on 'The LARGEST plastic scale Model airplane kit ever produced' - their words not mine.

View attachment 64770

I mentioned earlier that this was the model I remembered high up on a shelf in a model shop when I was a kid. In those days the chance of owning one was just a dream. Well I'm a bit older now and decided, sod it, I'll have one.

There's lots of video on Youtube featuring this plane. I get the impression the Americans were very proud of this plane, rightly so I reckon. The design process started just after WW2. The USA wanted an aircraft that could reach europe, should there main Ally (the British) be over run by the Russians, hence, the Convair B-36.

View attachment 64771View attachment 64772

Being such a large aircraft, the flight deck was split into two. Rear facing should be two flight engineers. Unfortunately, both wouldn't fit so one has been demoted to the lower flight deck in the radar position.

View attachment 64773

And yes, the crew did often fly with baseball caps on - nice and relaxed !

View attachment 64775

Now, an old Monogram kit this maybe (I can't find a date for it - but it's old) but the detail isn't bad. Yes it has raised surface detail, but that's ok. What I really liked was (you can't see it in this pic) the crew figures actually have boot laces. Now that is a nice bit of detail.

View attachment 64774

And here is both flight decks in place. They lined up quite well. Closing the fuselage was a bit more trickey, simply because it's so long.

Work has started on the wings. Heavens they are big.................

View attachment 65960

View attachment 65961

View attachment 65962

View attachment 65963

View attachment 65964

View attachment 65965

The Box.JPG

Upper and lower.jpg

Upper and lower 2.jpg

Upper crew.jpg

Upstairs downstairs.jpg

Figures detail.jpg

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
nice!...look forward to watching this one.............weird thing is i was on the B36 wiki entry only yesterday reading about them

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
That's looking great Colin. Looking forward to seeing it all together.

Tony.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Look forward to seeing this one progress Colin. I saw one of these on sale a few weeks back with a B52 in 1/72, and the B36 was larger. Hope you have plenty of paint.

First Name
Dave
Some nice detail in the cockpit for such an old kit.

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Well done Colin you finally got the kit that was just a dream all those years ago lol nice choice to better than all those sweets (that you pocket money went on ) only kidding mate I love these old kits I try to get them myself when I can you are making a cracking job of it . Look forward to seeing more of this and can't wait for the diorama to compliment it :winkingshades:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice one colin! I remember when this beast was released about 1980 , I too used to drool over it in the Beatties shop in town . Like a lot of these old monogram kits, if you dont mind the raised panel lines theyre actually quite well detailed and can be made up into a mighty impressive model (especially if its got a 3 foot wingspan like this baby !!) Great start on the cockpit and pilots , although cockpit is a bit of a poor description - its that big ! the bit underneath the pilots stations with the 4 chairs looks like it could be classed as a cocktail lounge , im surprised they didnt have a piano in there too!!! Keep it up mate , its looking great - if youre gonna do it , do it BIG!!! cheers tony

B

backonthecase

I'm sure I saw a programme years ago about tests using nuclear powerplants for these things! Bloody bonkers if you ask me, but back then nuclear was the new brown!! Crazy SoBs lol!

But holy cow this looks impressive, i THOUGHT my B-52 was big!!!

Stuart

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
A bit more work.

Big, well yes, this is the fuselage along side a 30 cm rule. As for the paint Joe, I have a 'Silver' Tamiya spray can - but I'm not sure it's going to be enough - bearing in mind nearly half of the model is white.

View attachment 65300

As for the cocktail lounge Tony, well Monogram have been 'relaxed' with attention to detail in some areas. This cocktail lounge is a really busy place in the real aircraft - but not in mine ! However for someone like you, who loves tackling 1:72 detail, this could be right up your street.

The jet engines, not much of interets here, but I do like the 'Captain Scarlet / Thunderbirds look' about them.

View attachment 65301

And finally for this update. Does anyone fancy doing this canopy for me ? No masks are available for the B-36......doh.......Did I mention, the nose is also glazed.

View attachment 65302

The dio John, already done.

Colin M..

View attachment 66430

View attachment 66431

View attachment 66432

Fuselage 1.jpg

Jet engines.jpg

Upper canopy.jpg

First Name
Dave
Looking good Colin.Perhaps you should take it to a car body shop for the paint job as its so big!.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice start Colin. Great work on the glazing masking too, proof you can get by without a fancy masking set. I've never used a mask set, jut ye olde Tamiya tape and a sharp blade.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I've done something. At last. Well I could make an excuse about the weather, being too hot to spray etc, err, no actually, that'll do nicely. Yes, too hot to spray, but this morning things cooled and the monster was primed. Now, the wings are off at the moment, this will just make preshading etc easier. Once that's done, I'll stick it all together for spraying.

I'm not working at my normal bench at the moment, I've had to kick the car out of the garage to prime the monster. It's a bit odd that with this model, I walk around it, instead of me turning the model around, and that's before the wings are attached.

View attachment 66050

View attachment 67140

Primer.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
That is Ginormous! What paint are you using colin? Its going to have to be a big tin,or lots of little uns!!! Keep at it mate , i cant wait to see it finished , cheers tony

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
\ said:
I've done something. At last. Well I could make an excuse about the weather, being too hot to spray etc, err, no actually, that'll do nicely. Yes, too hot to spray, but this morning things cooled and the monster was primed. Now, the wings are off at the moment, this will just make preshading etc easier. Once that's done, I'll stick it all together for spraying.I'm not working at my normal bench at the moment, I've had to kick the car out of the garage to prime the monster. It's a bit odd that with this model, I walk around it, instead of me turning the model around, and that's before the wings are attached.

View attachment 66050
............... That is gonna be epic............. Where are you going to keep it ????

Peter

First Name
Dave
I know the real aircraft was huge.But I didn't realise it would be this big in 1/72.My local hobby shop has one on sale for £64.im tempted...

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Not such a bad price Dave. I paid just under £50.00, but with about £10.00 postage. Also if they have the later Revel version, the decals are a bit better then my Monogram version.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You can se just how big that is next to the body board. Great work Colin once its done I take it the car is out of the garage all the time :laughing:

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Wow that's big Colin! Good look with the paint