Mr.Smythe's Hetzer

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
A'noon guys,
Well,as my Achilles has reached it's end,I thought I'd do something a bit German,(my last builds have been either WW2 Allied planes,or Allied AFVs), for a while.
I was going to do a Cyber hobby StuG III, seeing as "Bob the StuG" seems to have morphed into,"Billy the Fish" these days,(one for the Viz fans there!! ;) )
BUT ... Didn't,......
.....in respect of the great man. :smiling3:
(However,if he ain't gonna do one soon,I WILL!! :smiling3: )
Anyway, ere's my next build...
IMG20230218144652.jpg
.. I'll do some sprue pics shortly,
As always,and I do know that people have got a bit sick of all the old German stuff, anyone who'd like to join in will be very welcomed :smiling3:
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Oh,OK then, ere's the boring pics..
IMG20230218144916.jpg
Not just the instructions there, but the camo for the masks that are provided... Although I'm not all that sure how they work yet ;)
IMG20230218153758.jpg
Top two for the wheelie stuff,and obviously upper/lower hull bits..
IMG20230218154037.jpg
Other bits and tracks X2 ... Don't really like these things,but I guess I'll give them a go. ;) ...
IMG20230218154157.jpg
So there you have it. :smiling3:
Should be fun.....,the camo masks especially!! ;)
Andy

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Now you mention it, yeah … somebody must have wanted to make the thing look more impressive. This shows the real size fairly well, as well as other details, including inside:

Thanks,an interesting video. Would have hated to be in there as cramped as it was when it fired !

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Morn Mr. Smiff,

Everybody loves a Hetzer (late) and this kit will be easy to build. I made the Airfix re-box of this a while back. With a little care, the fit is almost perfect. You'll have fun here Andy......The masks look like fun too!!!

Thanks,an interesting video. Would have hated to be in there as cramped as it was when it fired !
The worst part was, the loader worked on the left side behind the driver. He had to lean over/around the breech to load a shell. Not very much fun, to say the least. The gunner was on the right side with the commander stationed behind him. An effective tank destroyer and the low silhouette made it very effective in combat as it was hard to see...

Prost
Allen

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The worst part was, the loader worked on the left side behind the driver. He had to lean over/around the breech to load a shell. Not very much fun, to say the least. The gunner was on the right side with the commander stationed behind him.
I think you’ve got the crew layout slightly mixed up. On the left it had driver, gunner and commander in tandem, on the right was just the loader.

main-qimg-0ca7479e7910f02db89309d51a616ab8-lq.jpeg

The Swiss G13 (a post-war variant) swapped the commander’s and loader’s positions, IIRC.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Yes Jakko, I did word my post a bit wonky about the gunner and commander. Three were on the left and the commander on the right at the rear with the split hatches....

"Hetzer’s interior was cramped for the four-man crew (commander, gunner, loader and driver), because of its sloped armour and low silhouette. Interior was divided into two compartments – engine and fighting/crews compartment. Gunner and loader were located on the left side of the gun; commander was in the rear on the right side of the gun, while the driver in front of the vehicle on the left side of the gun. Crew communicated using the intercom system and 10-watt FuG5 radio set."

The poor loader still had the worst job in the crew though!!!....Even worse, when he had to reload the remote-controlled MG on the roof and expose himself to enemy fire...

Prost
Allen

PS, I can't understand what Academy was trying to show on their box-art pic...

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Yes Jakko, I did word my post a bit wonky about the gunner and commander. Three were on the left and the commander on the right at the rear with the split hatches....
And I got the commander and loader mixed up :smiling3: The G13 then put the loader on the right and the commander on the left, IIRC.

PS, I can't understand what Academy was trying to show on their box-art pic...
Going by the crew’s size, maybe Girls und Panzer? ;)

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Blimey Guys.. I'm overwhelmed by all of your info and interest!! :smiling3:
This is obviously a Tank Killer that, despite it's "innocent" little frame,is rather popular!!
Suffice to say,at the moment, I'm just going to put up my progress so far,and address all of your, welcomed comments,next time,(Still getting over this horrendous bug,which when doubled up with my Sleep Apnea,is pretty damned unpleasant :sad: ),
HOWEVER, I've done some, assembly and primer...
IMG20230221193258.jpg
IMG20230221193228.jpg
It's got some etch too,and just about the size and amount that I'm happy with...
IMG20230221192544.jpg
.. Phew...that took a while,but it's all done now. ;)....
Lastly...
IMG20230221193104.jpg
There's the upper hull,and rear panel, assembled,and almost ready to go...
...need to check out the camo mask info now,as if I add too many lumpy bits they won't sit right ?!! ;)
Will check that all out and get back to you later. :smiling3:
Thanks for ALL of your comments,thoughts and general interest Guys,
Cheers for now,
Andy