My visit to the Tank Museum! (Finally)

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Hi guys,
This year the misses wanted to spend some of our vacation in the UK, and with the Tank Museum on my bucket list for decades - I told her I knew this amazing flower store in Bovington and soon we walked through the gates of 'The Tank Museum' :hugging-face: (We traveled by train to 'Wool' and walked about 30min to the museum).

I picked out some photos I shot - Enjoy!

TM_000.jpg

The Tiger I
TM_003.jpg

TM_004.jpg

TM_005.jpg

The Panther
TM_006.jpg

TM_007.jpg

TM_008.jpg

Panzer II Ausf L - Tiger II
TM_009.jpg

TM_010.jpg

TM_011.jpg

The Jagdtiger
TM_012.jpg

TM_013.jpg

The Jagdpanther
TM_014.jpg

StuG III
TM_015.jpg

Some guy put his name on the tank, they are still investigating the incident...
TM_016.jpg

TM_017.jpg

TM_018.jpg

Panzer I
TM_019.jpg

TM_020.jpg

- End of part I -

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Panzer II Ausf L
TM_021.jpg

TM_022.jpg

Panzer III
TM_023.jpg

Panzer IV
TM_024b.jpg

TM_025.jpg

TM_026.jpg

TM_027.jpg

M3 Grant
TM_028.jpg

Sherman Crab
TM_029.jpg

Leopard I
TM_030.jpg

T-62
TM_031.jpg

Challenger II
TM_032.jpg

(Model)
TM_033.jpg

TM_034.jpg

TM_035.jpg

Kettenkrad
TM_036.jpg

TM_037.jpg

The tank arena
TM_038.jpg

Also visited the 'Vehicle Conservation Centre'
TM_039.jpg

Which is filled with more awesome projects!
TM_040.jpg

I had a great time in the museum - if you can I really recommend visiting one day!
Thanks for reading & kind regards,
Steven

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Nice looking batch of armor Pics. Steven....it's been so long since I last visited Aberdeen Proving Grounds here in the States, I was using a Nikon F3 and print film! :tongue-out2: .....and we don't let Bob scribble on the paint jobs.;)

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Great set of pictures Steven ,on a quiet day I can probably drive there in the time it took you to walk from the station , haven't been for a few years now last time was for a tiger day ,impressive to see the tiger roll by but ashamed to say didn't think it lived up to the hype ,I've got a little video of the kettenkrad going by it trumped(bettered)the tiger for me.
As you say well worth a visit if your able to , strangely one of my favorites there is the staghound if its still on display ,you've got no concept of the thing only box art standing by it you realise what beasts they were. Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Thanks for sharing Steven. I'm lucky though to have been for the c okay two years - for TankFest - and Junior wanted to do TankFest again... So what is one to do!!

Thanks again.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Great set of pictures Steven ,on a quiet day I can probably drive there in the time it took you to walk from the station , haven't been for a few years now last time was for a tiger day ,impressive to see the tiger roll by but ashamed to say didn't think it lived up to the hype ,I've got a little video of the kettenkrad going by it trumped(bettered)the tiger for me.
As you say well worth a visit if your able to , strangely one of my favorites there is the staghound if its still on display ,you've got no concept of the thing only box art standing by it you realise what beasts they were. Dave
Looks like you had a great day Steven. Like David, I haven’t been for a few years. It’s got a great collection, with some real gems hidden away in there. One of my favourites is the KV-1, a really big old beast. Never been in the conservation centre so that’s a good reason for another visit…..
Interesting shots of the vandalised Stug though, I think that’s a new exhibit. The old one had log armour on the sides…..
Always love seeing the Tiger. Last time I went was a week after tiger day and, because it had been running, it smelt Alive..…so many museum exhibits seem dead when you see them.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Steven as the guys say many thanks for sharein an what did your missus say when she saw a tank mus than a flower shop ? wow id have been dead if id treid that an yes that little bugger Bob writein all over that lovley stug but but i suppoce it would have been the same with me if i had seen tiger there might have been a ( boatman was here as well ) lol an last time we were there they were still building the tiger so i did not see her built an some great pics many thanks an im glad you enjoyed your day an how many black eyes did you get from the missus ? lol
chrisb

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Thanks for the comments :thumb2:

@ Davecov : Thanks, no we didn't see any flowers indeed :smiling5:
@ Mini Me : Aberdeen is on my bucket list too! but it's really far away though, I'm very interested in the Jagdtiger which is kept there...
@ David Lovell : Looks like you live very close to the museum, if I well understood the dayticket is valid for 12 months, so might be worth to visit a few times more on a quiet moment.
@ adt70hk : Watched TankFest a few times on YT, always nice to hear those engines making music!
@ Tim Marlow : The conservation centre is huge but you can only watch it from a platform unfortunally, it was open from 14:00 to 15:00h.
@ Boatman : Well I still had 30min from the train to explain but was able to keep my camera-eye in good shape :smiling6:. Doing the dishes one year now

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Thanks for the comments :thumb2:

@ Davecov : Thanks, no we didn't see any flowers indeed :smiling5:
@ Mini Me : Aberdeen is on my bucket list too! but it's really far away though, I'm very interested in the Jagdtiger which is kept there...
@ David Lovell : Looks like you live very close to the museum, if I well understood the dayticket is valid for 12 months, so might be worth to visit a few times more on a quiet moment.
@ adt70hk : Watched TankFest a few times on YT, always nice to hear those engines making music!
@ Tim Marlow : The conservation centre is huge but you can only watch it from a platform unfortunally, it was open from 14:00 to 15:00h.
@ Boatman : Well I still had 30min from the train to explain but was able to keep my camera-eye in good shape :smiling6:. Doing the dishes one year now
WELL jen said that will learn you Steven for telling the missus under false pretences lol :rolling: ;):cold-sweat::smiling::smiling::smiling::smiling:
jen

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
OH an Steven that was brillint on that Bob the stug was here as i near split my sides laughin an it has really cheered me up for the day VERY VERY GOOD that VERY WITTY you are SIR
chrisb

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I first went to the Tank Museum around 1964 - my father, who was a WWII veteran, told me quite a bit about the tanks he had seen in action in Europe & especially pointed out a Dingo armoured car - he'd been wounded when his ran over a mine! I've been back many times & it has changed a lot over the years. Much more professional!
Dave

First Name
Andy
Great pictures that bring back memories of the time I went there about 6 years ago, great day out and I liked the desks where you could watch videos of tankies telling tales about the time they spent in them.

Andy.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Some excellent pictures Steven, they seem to have had a 'shift' around since I last went, as the Challenger was on the 'half a bridge' that the Leopard 1 is now on, and the King Tiger was built into a smashed up building 'dio', maybe I'll have to arrange a visit again when I'm off during my 'birthday' week holiday...

It does look as though BobtheStug took the dog with him and let it have a good chew at the turret of the Sherman...

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew

You now have the perfect excuse for going to TankFest, as they normally open up to conservation hall to allow people to wander around....

It's well worth a look because there a number of unique vehicles/prototypes in there. A most excellent excuse if you ask me!!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I first went to the Tank Museum around 1964 - my father, who was a WWII veteran, told me quite a bit about the tanks he had seen in action in Europe & especially pointed out a Dingo armoured car - he'd been wounded when his ran over a mine! I've been back many times & it has changed a lot over the years. Much more professional!
Dave
I went there first in about 1969. Different location then as well wasn’t it Dave? I seem to remember some smaller naval guns outside the entrance for the kids to play on? At that age I was one of them……

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi guys,
This year the misses wanted to spend some of our vacation in the UK, and with the Tank Museum on my bucket list for decades - I told her I knew this amazing flower store in Bovington and soon we walked through the gates of 'The Tank Museum' :hugging-face: (We traveled by train to 'Wool' and walked about 30min to the museum).

I picked out some photos I shot - Enjoy!

View attachment 475271

The Tiger I
View attachment 475272

View attachment 475273

View attachment 475274

The Panther
View attachment 475275

View attachment 475276

View attachment 475277

Panzer II Ausf L - Tiger II
View attachment 475278

View attachment 475279

View attachment 475280

The Jagdtiger
View attachment 475281

View attachment 475282

The Jagdpanther
View attachment 475283

StuG III
View attachment 475284

Some guy put his name on the tank, they are still investigating the incident...
View attachment 475285

View attachment 475286

View attachment 475287

Panzer I
View attachment 475288

View attachment 475289

- End of part I -
Not me too neat lol, very cheeky Steve but very good and how on earth did you do it!!