My visit to the Tank Museum! (Finally)

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I worked at Bovington. I had free access to the tank museum - I mean! What a perk! Used to spend my time in search of Grubers 'little tank'. Never did find it but spent many an enjoyable time wandering around. The highlight for me was the sectioned tank. Split right down the middle so you could walk through it front to back!! Impressive.
Trouble was, and I regret now, was not actually appreciating it!!!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I first went to the Tank Museum around 1964 - my father, who was a WWII veteran, told me quite a bit about the tanks he had seen in action in Europe & especially pointed out a Dingo armoured car - he'd been wounded when his ran over a mine! I've been back many times & it has changed a lot over the years. Much more professional!
Dave
The Tank Museum acquired a new director early 2000's. His remit was to turn the place around from the few low grade bits they had to a world class museum. He has certainly done that. Funds from all over the place, Gave the WW1 machines a section of their own and much much more.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I worked at Bovington. I had free access to the tank museum - I mean! What a perk! Used to spend my time in search of Grubers 'little tank'. Never did find it but spent many an enjoyable time wandering around. The highlight for me was the sectioned tank. Split right down the middle so you could walk through it front to back!! Impressive.
Don’t think Bovington has an Skdfz 222? Might be wrong though.

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
My access was free as my dad was DSgt at the JLR across the road, also got into the garrison open days for free and was meant to get a go on the simulator but it never happened.
I must of spent two thirds of my summer in there.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
About ten or twelve years ago when the Tiger had its make over. The Armoured Base Repair Organisation, (ABRO), at Bovington, stripped it down to its last nut and bolt. The brief was, repaint, replace but don't repair any of the war damage. Engine went off to BMW for overhaul only to blow all the gaskets when fired up back at Bovi'. It, (the engine), then went off to Daimler Benz for overhaul - returned perfect! While the body was in repair, the whole known history of that vehicle was displayed around the work area. Crew, action it took part in. The internals had a good respray and all the wording for stowages etc were hand painted in German script. Very very impressive. Was a privilege watching the rebuild. It drove out the workshop under its own power. Awesome sound.

Last edited:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
My access was free as my dad was DSgt at the JLR across the road, also got into the garrison open days for free and was meant to get a go on the simulator but it never happened.
I must of spent two thirds of my summer in there.
Stanley Barracks as the JLR now is, (maybe was then). Now home to the RM's and their Viking tracked amphibious unit. As well as the RN and Army schools of recruiting.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Steven I’m with PaulE thank you for sharing your adventure and those great pics.