N1K2-J build

B

backonthecase

nice work Ajay, I like the look of this :smiling3:

The inspection window seems to be above what would be on UK and US aircraft the radio/battery/oxygen bay. So perhaps a battery indicator, or oxygen level indicator was on the inside, so the chiefs could check on the levels without faffing around with bolts?

Just an idea

Stuart

A

AJay

Thanks, Stuart.

That's a good idea. Especially like the idea of checking the oxygen levels. You know....this would have made a good competition question! lol

Alex

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi Alex

Looking good so far. As far as the Model Air Colours go there's not much choice for WW2 Japanese planes in fact they only do 4 colours Army Green, Army Grey, Navy Green and Navy Grey so it might be a case of mix your own good luck with that one.

Vaughan

B

backonthecase

The Tamiya IJN Grey and green appear to be good matches but I'm not sure about the IJA colours...... sorry bit of a pointless post but maybe you could mix starting with the IJN green and grey as a base?

Stuart

A

AJay

Well, the underside on this particular a/c was silver (unpainted), and for the top I've been told Tamiya XF-11. I found the Vallejo equivalent on a conversion chart. My master plan is to add some blue to that, to try and achieve the correct hue, and then lighten the whole lot to simulate faded paint caused by the tropical sun........a little ambitious I know, but we'll see what happens! lol

A

AJay

Made some progress on my 'George'. Over the NMF I added my yellow leading edges. I was worried about building a 'step' in the paint due to the number of layers of yellow it took to cover the base coat, but, think it's just about okay. I've since learned I should have used white beneath the yellow.....I think that's right anyway.

Using various references of Japanese birds with chipped paintwork, I added some Vallejo masking fluid in the likely areas that would be worn. Naturally, the bulk of this is where the pilot and ground crew scuffed up the paint around near the wing roots.

To this I added my own mix of IJN green and airbrushed the fabric surfaces with a slightly lighter shade of the mix.

All for now........

View attachment 38630

View attachment 38631

'George' wip 1.jpg

'George' wip 3.jpg

Last edited:
A

AJay

Thanks, Ian! Glad you like the build so far. You never know, I might actually complete something new this year : )

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You just may its not looking too far off now i bet your pleased with the hard work put in i know i would be

saguy

A true Leeds Utd fan ............
SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
Kawanishi N1K2-J Shidenkai (George) (Hasegawa) - Scale Models Gallery

fantastic aircraft to build .... japanese WW2 aircraft have this very brutish attractiveness to them I think ...... they look great when finished.. looking foward to see'ing yours once done

rgds

lindsey

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi ajay , the george is looking great now, nice paintwork, cheers tony

A

AJay

Thanks Lindsey and Tony. George is currently under a dust cover having had several coats of Klear. Next up: decals and weathering! : )

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Brilliant. I really like the worn out look.

Colin M.........

saguy

SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
excellant weathering ajay ...... the paint chipping is just right ......rgds lindsey

A

AJay

Thank you, Lindsey! : ) Vallejo masking fluid helped me with the chipping.

I must get on and do some more with this build.

saguy

SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
hi Alex - I usually beaver away with a silver pencil for my paint chipping but this affect is great - i assume what u do is paint it in silver, spread the masking fluid on wherever u want, paint the camo and then peel the masking fluid off??