Neil's 1-32 scale 3D printed Flamethrower

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I first posted this in What's On The Bench, but I think it might expand a bit, so here's a full thread.
I got a bit 'Fusiliered Out' so I started building this digitally for a diorama I'm planning, using up my stash of Airfix Multipose US Marines.
Of course nobody does any accessories in 1-32 scale now ,so I measured a 1-35 offering by Dragon, and scaled up to full size, then I re-scaled to 1-32.
Here's a WIP screen shot -the different colours are all the separate elements which are individually editable until I combine them together and 'fix' them once I am happy

M2 Flamethrower.jpeg
It took me a few days but here's the final piece
finished M2 Flamethrower.jpeg

finished M2 Flamethrower 2.jpeg

The carrying frame is very thin so I have made 3 versions in different thicknesses as a safety net.
Here's a pic showing how I've separated the various components for printing

finished M2 Flamethrower 3.jpeg
There should be a canvas panel suspended between the verticals of the carrying frame, but I will fabricate that, along with the flexible hose.
So fingers crossed I will be printing this tonight
FYI it's 22mm tall

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I've set up the printer (resin, Elegoo Mars 2 ,for those who care about these things) and this is what it looks like virtually
Elegoo Mars Build Plate.jpg

I'm also printing some packboards and Marine style boot soles as most of them will be lying down(can you guess where I'm going with this?)
So here goes, we'll see how well it turns out in the morning

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
As said by others. Dark arts. I seriously wish i could use the programs. I have so much i would like to design that isn't catered for in 1:32

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Mind-blowing..... And I'm quite technically minded!!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Yet another advantage of the resin printer - you can pack as many models onto the build plate as possible, and it will take the same time as if there were only one. If I put two objects on my FDM printer, that doubles the print time.......................
Dave

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Yet another advantage of the resin printer - you can pack as many models onto the build plate as possible, and it will take the same time as if there were only one. If I put two objects on my FDM printer, that doubles the print time.......................
Dave
You're so right Dave. This is a 6 hour plus build because I set the layers so thin (0.02mm) for better resolution. I've also done a couple of duplicate parts with different orientations to see which works better support-wise.
I've had the printer a year and it's already been superseded twice. My screen is 2k, (which indicates the pixel size I think-it defines the resolution anyway) and there have since been 4k and now 8k screens. For big stuff it doesn't really make much difference, but for small detailed stuff like we do it really does. My son has an 8k printer so I will get him to print this and we can compare results

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I was going to go down the 8k printer route as the stuff i want(ed) to print has to be detailed. I think i might have to go onto YT and have a look again at what programs to start off with. And then try and get some designing done

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Well, it printed- some of it great, some not so great and I don't really know why.

Build Plate.jpg

The tanks developed a 'middle-age spread' for some reason

Tank Components.jpg
but I'm pleased with the finer details.

The different sized frames are difficult to tell apart, so I can use the thinnest one (second from right) - if it survives the support removal. The particular resin I've got is very brittle and snipping the support can sometimes fracture the piece itself. There are more flexible and forgiving resins around which I shall pay more attention to when I next buy some.

Frames.jpg
I built the gun in two different orientations to see which came out best, and (using the optivisor) it's the angled one that's marginally better, although neither of them is terribly sharp....

Flame Gun.jpg
By far the worst build was the packboards

Packboards.jpg

I don't understand why they have the extra material attached to them- perhaps the support was too flimsy and they wobbled about during the build. That said , I used the same orientation when I printed them before at 1-35 and they came out fine, which is why I did it this way this time. Hmmm
I can probably use them as long as they are fully loaded, but it's irritating to have it happen, and I need to know how to avoid it.

Far and away the best prints are the boot soles
Boot Soles.jpg
there ARE more and they do make up pairs!
So that's where we are ,I'm going to get my son to run them on his 8K printer and we'll see how they compare.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Looks great Neil.I wish somebody would 3d some of the U.K afv/tank aerial mounts for Shermans etc in 1.72nd.The photo etch ones are just ludicrous to put together.
Great stuff mate.
Rich

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
I was going to go down the 8k printer route as the stuff i want(ed) to print has to be detailed. I think i might have to go onto YT and have a look again at what programs to start off with. And then try and get some designing done
Beware of the 8K , as that is 8K spread across the print bed , and some 8K have lower dot resolution per inch than others.

an example from the same company

1679172712952.png

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I wish somebody would 3d some of the U.K afv/tank aerial mounts for Shermans etc in 1.72nd.The photo etch ones are just ludicrous to put together.
You mean the No. 19 set B aerial base, with the protective ring around it? I don’t even fancy making those from etched parts in 1:35, never mind half that size … The A aerial base is easy enough, though: just file the end of a piece of plastic rod into a cone, off the top of my head it’s about 2 mm diameter in 1:35, so 1 mm rod will do in 1:72.

Last edited:
Reactions: JR

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Very cool Neil.
3D printing has so many variables to get right to achieve an acceptable result. It’s baffling how the same print, at virtually the same scale, can be so different. Build angles, different resins, bed levelling, speed, temperature, supports - it’s a lot of balls to have in the air at the same time! I’ve got to say though that the result looks good and incredibly delicate.
Incredible stuff
Paul

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Beware of the 8K , as that is 8K spread across the print bed , and some 8K have lower dot resolution per inch than others.

an example from the same company

View attachment 477266
Thanks Gary
So does that mean that a larger 8k bed size would give lower resolution than a small one? Because there are still only 8k pixels spread across a larger area?